2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

I think, aside from the MAPH referrals (which seem to be going out), they tend to wait to send out rejections until the end. Most schools (at least based on the results posted here) prioritize sending out acceptances quickly much more than they do rejections, and so sometimes there can even be a month or longer delay before the program releases its rejections. 

1 hour ago, Vivec said:

UChicago just started sending out the conciliatory 'recommended for MAPH' emails.

Better than nothing I suppose - and no hard feelings; wishing all the best to those who got in this cycle!

I also received UChicago's rec for MAPH. Do you know if they do this for all applicants not admitted to the PhD? Is this master's something I should keep in my mind as a backup?

Got a rejection notice from U. of Chicago.  If whoever got in to Stony Brook in their third round of applications this season is reading this, congratulations and know that you are my heroic inspiration! 

Edited by LORDBACON

1 hour ago, kretschmar said:

Why did I apply only to programs with later response dates? Seeing all of you hearing back, I wish I had applied to an early program, entirely at random, just so I could hear something before the 15th...

Good point.  Getting my first rejection initiates the reality that I'll have to get used to a lot of it during the course of applications, advanced study, and beyond. 

I received two rejections today, a generic email to check the website from Berkeley and a rejection email from Chicago with a referral to their MAPH program.

On a lighter note, I can claim the nomination for the AOP Fellowship at UWM. It isn't quite admission, but they say I'm a "strong candidate" so I'm allowing myself some hope on that front.

3 hours ago, Prose said:

Anyone who got the Chicago rejection NOT get referred to the MA?

Yep! Just got a rejection. Maybe because I already (technically) have a masters?

Also got my Berkeley rejection, both expected given offers out already but Chicago would have been my top choice if I'd got all my offers

Less miffed about Berkeley though, I'd emailed Hans Sluga as someone who works on Heidegger & Wittgenstein and he was pretty pessismistic in general and said the department was quickly swinging heavily analytical and even Wittgenstein was getting a bit much for them

still 8 left to hear from though! optimism! hope for the future! 

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else received this ambiguous message from Michigan / whether you all think it indicates an acceptance. A professor there emailed me and said the committee was "currently reviewing my application" and that some applicants might be eligible for "one of our highly competitive university fellowships." The prof asked me to provide evidence of a commitment to diversity (in addition to the diversity statement). 

1 hour ago, big modality said:

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else received this ambiguous message from Michigan / whether you all think it indicates an acceptance. A professor there emailed me and said the committee was "currently reviewing my application" and that some applicants might be eligible for "one of our highly competitive university fellowships." The prof asked me to provide evidence of a commitment to diversity (in addition to the diversity statement). 

I didn't receive it, but it looks like a good sign. Nevertheless it reminds me of Michigan's ambiguous requirement of the personal statement that is should be about the "nature of your study in philosophy." Anyway, best of luck!

When do you think it's customary to accept an offer? Do most people wait it out until all schools have answered? I accepted an offer the other day, and I don't know if you're meant to ask a load of questions or wait until April 14th before accepting, but I haven't heard back from them and it's stupidly stressing me out.

It probably depends on whether you are still waiting on other top choices (or close enough to still be worth considering). If a program is your top choice, or if you've been rejected at your other higher choices, then there seems like no reason to wait until April before making your decision. That said, I've also heard visits can be useful--particularly as an opportunity to talk to other grad students and find out some of the things going on behind the scenes (whether positive or negative) at the program. E.g. you might find out that your POI is a serial harasser, or that faculty in the department are currently threatening legal action against each other, or that grad students feel they have no support, and so on, which might very well impact your decision. 

Edited by lyellgeo

1 hour ago, icedamerican0 said:

I just got waitlisted... I knew this program was very competitive, but it's super frustrating to receive the actual letter :/

Which program waitlisted you @icedamerican0

I understand the frustration but it’s not over yet! Bon courage!