2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

5 minutes ago, Tttttttttttt said:

I second this, I am also older (41!) with a decade working in a different field and no previous philosophy exposure. I did a two year terminal MA and have 2 acceptances/3 rejections for this season. 

Congratulations!

Has anyone heard from Stanford? They were my first deadline and I'm getting antsy! I would have thought some info would have gone out by now.

I was accepted to my top choice, thank heavens, but Stanford was a close second and a rejection would make me 100% confident about committing to my first choice program.

4 minutes ago, gvg said:

Has anyone heard from Stanford? They were my first deadline and I'm getting antsy! I would have thought some info would have gone out by now.

I was accepted to my top choice, thank heavens, but Stanford was a close second and a rejection would make me 100% confident about committing to my first choice program.

Stanford generally releases quite late. I don't think we'll be hearing from them before the first week of March. 

5 minutes ago, Tttttttttttt said:

I heard from a very reliable source that Stanford will announce late March/early April. I don’t know why they do this 

That would be very irritating, if true. Just can't see why a school needs to sit on the applications for 4 months (or even 3, if they release in early March) before making a decision.  Early April will be especially inconvenient, since people would want to visit and make final decisions - all within a fortnight. 

15 minutes ago, Tttttttttttt said:

I heard from a very reliable source that Stanford will announce late March/early April. I don’t know why they do this 

Oh my goodness! That leaves so little time to weigh options before April 15!! Michigan is the program I'm planning to commit to, and they told me that they specifically set an early deadline and planned to finish their decisions early so that they could be one of the first programs to let people know. I think that this is very considerate and thoughtful, and as a strategy, I think it's working to their advantage! Stanford probably has their own strategy, but I'm definitely inclined to commit early, especially to a program that I'm in love with.

4 minutes ago, rb1 said:

What are the schools we are likely to hear back from in the week ahead? Best wishes to all!

Maybe Harvard, UNC, Notre Dame, and Virginia. UNC usually releases acceptances early February, so it's odd that we haven't heard from them yet.

16 minutes ago, rb1 said:

What are the schools we are likely to hear back from in the week ahead? Best wishes to all!

In previous years, USC should be sending responses out this week too. I contacted U of Miami and asked about App status. I was told the majority of the remaining responses should be going out this week.

10 hours ago, gvg said:

Oh my goodness! That leaves so little time to weigh options before April 15!! Michigan is the program I'm planning to commit to, and they told me that they specifically set an early deadline and planned to finish their decisions early so that they could be one of the first programs to let people know. I think that this is very considerate and thoughtful, and as a strategy, I think it's working to their advantage! Stanford probably has their own strategy, but I'm definitely inclined to commit early, especially to a program that I'm in love with.

Agreed. And they are really supportive, plus my POI even emailed me personally to say hi and shared a manuscript of his.

Rejected from Brown. I expected a rejection from them might make me cry, but I feel calm and shall soon simply eat a whole pizza. It’s already in the oven.

So far I’m at 0A/0W/2R, awaiting decisions from 4 programmes that I would, for varying reasons, be over the moon to attend. Big love y’all, stay strong. 

9 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

Rejected from Brown. I expected a rejection from them might make me cry, but I feel calm and shall soon simply eat a whole pizza. It’s already in the oven.

So far I’m at 0A/0W/2R, awaiting decisions from 4 programmes that I would, for varying reasons, be over the moon to attend. Big love y’all, stay strong. 

I felt the same way upon getting rejected from Brown, though it did not occur to me to eat a whole pizza. That might be a good tool to add to my toolset as approach a week where several schools to which I applied will likely be announcing their decisions. 

18 minutes ago, machineghost said:

I felt the same way upon getting rejected from Brown, though it did not occur to me to eat a whole pizza. That might be a good tool to add to my toolset as approach a week where several schools to which I applied will likely be announcing their decisions. 

I can’t recommend it highly enough, it works a treat!! 

15 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

I can’t recommend it highly enough, it works a treat!! 

Rejected from Brown, over here as well. I took it better than expected (I didn’t expect to get in, I lack the typical pedigree) and ate a bacon cheese burger and a bunch of Lindor truffles. I regret nothing. 

22 minutes ago, totorotaro said:

Rejected from Brown, over here as well. I took it better than expected (I didn’t expect to get in, I lack the typical pedigree) and ate a bacon cheese burger and a bunch of Lindor truffles. I regret nothing. 

Sorry to hear about the rejection, but brilliant touch with the truffles!

Edited by MishaPanda

1 hour ago, ButWhy said:

Just received official rejection from CMU. Does anyone know if it means rejection from their masters program as well?

Same. I wasn't expecting much, my interests aren't the best fit for the department.