2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

On 3/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, iunoionnis said:

Accepted University of South Florida after sending an email asking about my application status.

Edit: Also heard back from UC Riverside that I'm on the waitlist.

I missed this but it came up in the search I just did- congratulations!  USF is loaded with philosophers that do my AOI's.  It's about as perfect a fit as I could ever hope for, really.

3 hours ago, ArendtYouKidding said:

I did see that someone solicited an acceptance from Rutgers, and I think that someone else posted on another thread a solicited acceptance. 

UConn has been solicited by so many of us, I wonder why they haven't responded at all...

Looking at the results page from previous years, it kinda looks like they historically are bad about sending out mass rejection letters, and have been late to responding to solicitations for application status.

It's frustratingly opaque.

6 minutes ago, smokeyb10 said:

Curious: can anyone confirm that they've heard from Stanford? From what I can tell, nobody has claimed an acceptance on this forum or on the Facebook page.

I've heard from a few people that Stanford hasn't released any offers yet. The acceptances on the results page are likely to be fake.

Can anyone claim the waitlist at Toronto's MA program? Seems odd that only a waitlist response would be out, and I spoke to people at the grad school there last week who indicated that offers wouldn't go out until the last week of the month at the earliest. 

1 hour ago, Metanoia said:

I've heard from a few people that Stanford hasn't released any offers yet. The acceptances on the results page are likely to be fake.

I talked to a person at Stanford, she told me that no acceptances have been sent out. This is probably giving me false hope. But alas.

59 minutes ago, Fregeskind said:

I talked to a person at Stanford, she told me that no acceptances have been sent out. This is probably giving me false hope. But alas.

Thanks, that confirms it. I hope they'd hurry up.

5 hours ago, hi_hello said:

Can anyone claim the waitlist at Toronto's MA program? Seems odd that only a waitlist response would be out, and I spoke to people at the grad school there last week who indicated that offers wouldn't go out until the last week of the month at the earliest. 

Not sure about waitlist, but received an acceptance email today from DGS.

Just solicited responses from:

UCR (2nd attempt), UCSD (2nd attempt), Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Boston C., Texas A&M, Fordham, SIU Carbondale, Depaul, UNM

With the exception of the last 3 (who seem not to have released any decisions yet), I am doubtful that this silence bodes well for my plans of attending these programs.

From UNC: 

I am sorry that we can’t give you any more information at this time. At this point, we have made offers and constructed a waitlist, but we have not sent out rejections because we have not made final determinations about the applicant pool. As soon as our entering class is filled we will process rejections. I am sorry I can’t tell you anything more about your personal situation. I know this is a stressful period and UNC will be in touch as soon as it is possible to give you more information.

In other words, probably rejected (but she can't formally say), but if, somehow, everyone on the waitlist and all offer holders rejected their offers perhaps we'll have a chance. So, hey, non-zero probability!

Edit: Offer Holders/Waitlisted People: you know what to do! 

Edited by eigenname

13 hours ago, Needle In The Hay said:

Waitlisted at SLU by email, just now. 

Same.  Looks like you and I might be the only two "new waitlisters."  Wonder if that's good or bad.

10 hours ago, LORDBACON said:

Just solicited responses from:

UCR (2nd attempt), UCSD (2nd attempt), Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Boston C., Texas A&M, Fordham, SIU Carbondale, Depaul, UNM

Replies from Syracuse (R), Boston C. (R), Fordham (decision next week), and UNM (decision was snail-mailed out on Tuesday). 

For any applicants this may concern:

I am planning to accept USF's offer unless UCR, UCSD, Baylor, Fordham, or UNM make me an offer.  In the latter case it'll probably come down to doing some visits. 

I see that some people solicited responses from BC and that they have snail mailed rejection letters accordingly. Oh lord. I haven't solicited a response but will assume I am rejected since I heard nothing. They need to not use snail mail.

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

2 hours ago, eigenname said:

From UNC: 

I am sorry that we can’t give you any more information at this time. At this point, we have made offers and constructed a waitlist, but we have not sent out rejections because we have not made final determinations about the applicant pool. As soon as our entering class is filled we will process rejections. I am sorry I can’t tell you anything more about your personal situation. I know this is a stressful period and UNC will be in touch as soon as it is possible to give you more information.

In other words, probably rejected (but she can't formally say), but if, somehow, everyone on the waitlist and all offer holders rejected their offers perhaps we'll have a chance. So, hey, non-zero probability!

Edit: Offer Holders/Waitlisted People: you know what to do! 

Not the case. A professor at UNC commented on here recently that sometimes they will bring up someone not on teh waitlist and prioritize them before someone on the waitlist in order to balance their AOI. Or something like that. But I think the bottom line is right: the chances are slim but still possible. 

6 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Not the case. A professor at UNC commented on here recently that sometimes they will bring up someone not on teh waitlist and prioritize them before someone on the waitlist in order to balance their AOI. Or something like that. But I think the bottom line is right: the chances are slim but still possible. 

Yeah, hence, "probably" rejected. L. A. Paul did say something like that as well (she quoted the post from Leiter I quoted a few pages back so I didn't want to repost it), so I am holding out hope.

Though I probably should have dropped the mention about wait-listed people (since no wait-lists to my knowledge has been sent out) and instead focus on calling for offer holders to drop out in the right proportion so that my AOI will come into relevance. :P

5 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Yeah, hence, "probably" rejected. L. A. Paul did say something like that as well (she quoted the post from Leiter I quoted a few pages back so I didn't want to repost it), so I am holding out hope.

Though I probably should have dropped the mention about wait-listed people (since no wait-lists to my knowledge has been sent out) and instead focus on calling for offer holders to drop out in the right proportion so that my AOI will come into relevance. :P

I hope you get in!