2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

1 hour ago, soproperlybasic said:

I also assume that since a lot of the same people who got into other top programs got into Rutgers, not all of them will end up going to Rutgers. Which means they may still have at least some wait-list decisions left. (Or so I tell myself, in the slight hope that some miracle happens)

I don't mean to crush your optimism here, but Rutgers has had several years where they didn't even go to the waitlist at all. It seems to me that getting waitlisted by them is more like a consolation prize than anything else.

So I still hadn't heard anything back from UCLA, but I solicited information from them on Friday and received a response just now... Apparently due to a "clerical error", my application status was conveyed incorrectly, so while I was no longer under consideration, I wasn't issued a rejection. I really shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for being on the waitlist at UCLA, since this definitely stings more than just having received a proper rejection from them, but there's not much that I can do now.

Solicited responses I received:

CUNY: Rejected 

UVA: "unlikely though far from impossible" that theyd offer me a spot. They don't do a waitlist

Amherst: "with any luck you'll know my status by end of the week". Da freak does 'with any luck' mean. Should I expect a rejection?

UT Austin: "neither accepted nor waitlisted at this time". Omg just tell me I'm rejected lol

UCSB: made some preliminary decisions, still making decisions till early April

Arizona: made first offers already, "if waitlisted, you will receive an email within two weeks"

Rutgers: Rejected, of course

Havent heard back from UNC or Cornell

Edited by incredulous_stare

34 minutes ago, incredulous_stare said:

UVA: "unlikely though far from impossible" that theyd offer me a spot. They don't do a waitlist

Amherst: "with any luck you'll know my status by end of the week". Da freak does 'with any luck' mean. Should I expect a rejection?

UT Austin: "neither accepted nor waitlisted at this time". Omg just tell me I'm rejected lol

Arizona: made first offers already, "if waitlisted, you will receive an email within two weeks"

I’m curious as to when you heard back from Arizona. When did the two week countdown begin?

39 minutes ago, incredulous_stare said:

Huh ok then. I feel a bit better about silence from UCSB I guess if they're still making decisions for a few more weeks. I planned on emailing them tonight (and I still might anyway just so the dgs sees my name).

15 minutes ago, be. said:

I can claim the NYU acceptance. Phone call from Jessica Moss, who seems super nice!

Congrats! That's amazing. I'm going to assume NYU is not accepting two people with AOIs in Early Modern and Mind in the same year, so I'll happily move on to decision-making now. Finally onto the exciting part!!

1 hour ago, Stencil said:

So I still hadn't heard anything back from UCLA, but I solicited information from them on Friday and received a response just now... Apparently due to a "clerical error", my application status was conveyed incorrectly, so while I was no longer under consideration, I wasn't issued a rejection. I really shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for being on the waitlist at UCLA, since this definitely stings more than just having received a proper rejection from them, but there's not much that I can do now.

I know clerical errors happen, but it is very inconsiderate that they wouldn't have double-checked to make sure everyone who applied received a response. Especially since they had so many issues with their application site. Because I started my application early, it was completely deleted when they updated their system. I had to start over entirely. Also, I should note that I didn't start my application absurdly early-- I just wanted to give my letter writers over a month to get their letters in. Also the recommendation portal on the application was broken anyway. The whole system this year was a bit of a mess at UCLA.

1 hour ago, incredulous_stare said:

Sorry :/

The different quotes are entertaining though. Both of my rejections so far have been super gentle. Like a very compassionate breakup letter.

On 3/5/2018 at 2:20 PM, hi_hello said:

I received an offer of admission on February 28th, from David Bakhurst, their DGS. There's an orientation day on the 22nd of March. 

Additionally, since I've seen people asking about it on the results page: I spoke to the graduate administrator at U of T, who said that they will make MA decisions by the end of the month latest, but likely the week before. That's in line with what seems to have happened last year. 

Congratulations.:)

I applied to Vanderbilt, Memphis, Penn State, and Washington.  So far I am waitlisted at Washington and rejected at Penn State.  Does anybody know how UW's waitlist works?.  Is there an order or do they pick at it depending on who doesn't accept their offer?

In at NYU. Wow. My AOI are political and moral philosophy. So:

Acceptance: UCLA, Harvard, NYU, UPenn

Rejection: Berkeley, Michigan, Princeton

Havent heard back: Arizona, Stanford, Rutgers

I guess this is the end of my application cycle as I will not consider the programs that I haven't heard back from, even if I get waitlisted.

I'm surprised by NYU acceptance as they seem to prefer people with JD or Oxford BPhils... But I'm just an in-progress MA student in Seoul.

The lesson seems to be that fit does matter. My sample is on identity in relational/interpersonal egalitarianism and I hope to work on relational equality further in grad school.

41 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

Still haven't had a decision from CUNY, does this mean I may be on an invisible waiting list? Considering they seem to have sent a bunch of rejections today...

I'm in the same boat with CUNY, haven't heard a thing. The same thing happened to me with Notre Dame though. I didn't hear anything for ages. And I ended up just getting rejected. So I don't know what to think! But good luck!

6 minutes ago, gvg said:

I'm in the same boat with CUNY, haven't heard a thing. The same thing happened to me with Notre Dame though. I didn't hear anything for ages. And I ended up just getting rejected. So I don't know what to think! But good luck!

This whole process is such a mystery. I think some programs wait to reject people they might still consider until they hear back from their first round of offers - perhaps that's what happened to you with ND. Good luck to you too! 

gods be praised, I have received a generous funded offer with TA stipend from University of South Florida.

On 3/2/2018 at 4:01 PM, iunoionnis said:

Do they not have anyone working on the mystical tradition at UCSD? I remember their faculty being pretty big.

I do not know, but I've solicited a response from them.  USF is pretty strong in medieval so maybe they liked my mystical rant in the SOP.  Thanks for making that connection for me; substantial interest in medieval is common to the depts who've responded positively to me so far.