2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

1 hour ago, Lostmyreason08 said:

Just curious as to whether anyone has heard back Queen's University in Kingston, ON, specifically the M.A. program. I know first round of admissions start early March; I would appreciate it a great deal if I could here back from any members here that receive an offer of admission.

Thank you, sincerely.

I received an offer of admission on February 28th, from David Bakhurst, their DGS. There's an orientation day on the 22nd of March. 

Additionally, since I've seen people asking about it on the results page: I spoke to the graduate administrator at U of T, who said that they will make MA decisions by the end of the month latest, but likely the week before. That's in line with what seems to have happened last year. 

Edited by hi_hello

8 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

Maybe @Metanoia is a bit tired of MA?

29 minutes ago, philosobro said:

Not Harvard?

I am split between Harvard and Berkeley. 

Lol, no, I quite like it here in MA. The reasons have more to do with fit. I'm not sure if Harvard would be the best place for doing ancient philosophy. Hopefully the visits will help.

Edited by Metanoia

4 minutes ago, Spirit-Seer said:

I haven't posted here yet, but since it seems like all notices have gone out, here are my cumulative results:

Accepted at Toronto, Columbia, Riverside, and Georgetown, and wait-listed at UCSD, Brown, Johns Hopkins, and Notre Dame.

I haven't made any final decisions (I'll be visiting all the schools I was accepted at). My AOI is Kant / German Idealism.

Congratulations! Those are all great schools - good luck with decisions!

33 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Lol, no, I quite like it here in MA. The reasons have more to do with fit. I'm not sure if Harvard would be the best place for doing ancient philosophy. Hopefully the visits will help.

Yeah, I am in a similar boat. I am not sure if Harvard is the best place to work on the political issues I am interested in. The visit is going to play a big role in my decision. 

Chicago seems particularly good for what you want to do. 

Edited by philosobro

8 minutes ago, lyellgeo said:

Is it safe to assume, at this point, that I will not be accepted to programs to which I never applied? ;)

□ (I will not be accepted to programs to which I never applied)

45 minutes ago, philosobro said:

Yeah, I am in a similar boat. I am not sure if Harvard is the best place to work on the political issues I am interested in. The visit is going to play a big role in my decision. 

Chicago seems particularly good for what you want to do. 

Yes, I'd pause about considering Harvard for your interests now that Scanlon has retired. And the most productive dissertations on metaphysics at Harvard would be within the metaphysics of science (if that's the kind of metaphysics that you want to do). It's still a great department though, and there's something to be said about working with really smart people even if their areas are not 100% aligned with your AOIs. I'll PM you my reasons for being hesitant. 

26 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Seems like the two decisions are duds. Someone did us all a favor and checked with Jessica Moss! :D no rest for the wicked I guess...

27 minutes ago, shifgrethor said:

Not so fast, apparently!

Oh phew! Jessica Moss to the rescue.

10 minutes ago, Meruru said:

Accepted to California Lutheran University for the Economics Graduate program. The director called me last night and explained I was in but whether or not taking a summer course beforehand would be a burden. Pleasant surprise for how quick it was, as they received my application on February 20th :) I wanted to stay local for as long as I could. This was the only school I applied to so I'm in heaven rn.  

You got 95 theses, but a philosophy dissertation ain't one.

1 hour ago, hi_hello said:

I received an offer of admission on February 28th, from David Bakhurst, their DGS. There's an orientation day on the 22nd of March. 

Additionally, since I've seen people asking about it on the results page: I spoke to the graduate administrator at U of T, who said that they will make MA decisions by the end of the month latest, but likely the week before. That's in line with what seems to have happened last year. 

Did you apply to the general MA, or the MA specialized in legal/political thought?

17 hours ago, samsara2 said:

Just got one today! I highly doubt they'd take the offer away--they're probably just being slow at pushing them out.

I also haven't heard anything back from Toronto. Any info on the details? 

9 minutes ago, shifgrethor said:

This is gold. I remember reading this last year!

4 minutes ago, hhrr said:

I also haven't heard anything back from Toronto. Any info on the details? 

They nominated me for a university-wide scholarship, which might explain why I've received mine so early. The letter indicates that if I don't receive that scholarship, they will be providing a minimum funding commitment of $22,500/yr + tuition and fees. This covers 5 years of funding. They've listed some teaching requirements, but it's uncertain if what they've mentioned is part of the standard package or if they are requirements of the specific scholarship. Hope this helps!

9 minutes ago, samsara2 said:

They nominated me for a university-wide scholarship, which might explain why I've received mine so early. The letter indicates that if I don't receive that scholarship, they will be providing a minimum funding commitment of $22,500/yr + tuition and fees. This covers 5 years of funding. They've listed some teaching requirements, but it's uncertain if what they've mentioned is part of the standard package or if they are requirements of the specific scholarship. Hope this helps!

Was this for the MA or PhD program? Has anyone heard back about the masters program at Toronto?

58 minutes ago, samsara2 said:

That makes sense given the fellowship. I'm on the fence about soliciting some more information regarding funding