2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

9 minutes ago, GuanilosIsland said:

Got into Chicago's 1 year MA with 8k funding. That's nice I guess.

Also just got notified that I was accepted. I'm not sure what to think about a 1 year program though... what are your thoughts? Seems like there wouldn't be a whole lot of time to get strong letters or to produce a strong writing sample... 

3 minutes ago, PowderedChigurh said:

Also just got notified that I was accepted. I'm not sure what to think about a 1 year program though... what are your thoughts? Seems like there wouldn't be a whole lot of time to get strong letters or to produce a strong writing sample... 

I have a friend that went through the program that said it was amazing, and said that it specifically tries to groom you into a good PhD candidate. For reference, he got into Brown's political theory PhD program from it, although that is just anecdotal.

2 hours ago, PowderedChigurh said:

2 hours ago, GuanilosIsland said:

I have a friend that went through the program that said it was amazing, and said that it specifically tries to groom you into a good PhD candidate. For reference, he got into Brown's political theory PhD program from it, although that is just anecdotal.

I got the same e-mail and it's honestly a fucking joke. 8k/60k+ for an awful profit MA that's not even in philosophy. Don't do it lol.

13 minutes ago, quineonthevine said:

Scanlon retired?! Shoot, so many philosophers are retiring! (Korsgaard, McDowell, Nagel, etc.)

Yes, he retired in 2016. I'm not sure John McDowell retired!? I know that he is teaching a course this semester.

Can someone tell me how a person can be accepted into a well-regarded PhD program with funding, and get rejected from a Masters? I keep getting such weird, irregular feedback from departments. Is this application process seriously just a shot in the dark, without any kind of unanimity? Or is the reason I got into a PhD program because a cleaning person accidentally knocked over the applicant folders and misplaced mine in the "accepted" pile while hastily putting them back together? 

5 hours ago, Metanoia said:

Yes, he retired in 2016. I'm not sure John McDowell retired!? I know that he is teaching a course this semester.

I haven't heard this either! 

Got to say that I took a course with Brandom last semester and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Edited by iunoionnis

11 hours ago, GuanilosIsland said:

What program? The one-year Chicago MA or Brown?

I can't speak for the specifics of the programs, if they are scams taking all your money or if they are reputable, but to answer the first person's questions, yes you can get good letters in a one year MA if you come in already a strong student and have really good term papers. In fact, most professors form an opinion of your wiritng after your first class, so having multiple classes with a professor probably doesn't have a huge advantage. Here in Canada one year MAs are really common, and students still manage to get letters. 

Had my rejections flooding in the last few days, just hoping Tufts miraculously like me when nobody else did, Toronto and McGill change their mind before sending mine back, or I gain a particularly lucrative sugar daddy in New York so I can actually afford to go to the new school

43 minutes ago, mynameismyname said:

Where the heck are CU-Boulder's offers? Too much weed. Smh.

It’s possible...I did see someone on FB say that they’d solicited, to which the reply was that their decisions would be going out “by the end of the month” ?

26 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

It’s possible...I did see someone on FB say that they’d solicited, to which the reply was that their decisions would be going out “by the end of the month” ?

That was me! I solicited them yesterday and got a bit of an unhelpful response back which just said that they "hoped by the end of the month." 

I also solicited Stanford, who said they do not have final decisions "at this time." 

I'm pretty over waiting, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, mynameismyname said:

Where the heck are CU-Boulder's offers? Too much weed. Smh.

I solicited and was told that all offers would not be out until April.

2 hours ago, Needle In The Hay said:

Can we take a second to appreciate the “Sitford” rejection in response to the “Standford” acceptance tho? ???

The idea came to me in a dream. It's quite high brow stuff.

Edited by Schwarzwald

7 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

I solicited and was told that all offers would not be out until April.

At that point they're just making one giant, over-glorified waitlist with all the applicants on it.

3 minutes ago, mynameismyname said:

Same. As soon as I get that NYU rejection, I'll make my decision.

Congratulations on getting to that point! I only have one waitlist, so I am really holding out hope for these last few (especially UConn). 

In full disclosure, I also had the nerve to solicit UConn, Rutgers, Stanford, and Vanderbilt. I only heard back from Colorado and Stanford so far.