2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

Congrats to whomever received the FSU offer! That same offer is the one I'll likely be accepting.

And thank you to everyone for your feedback re: when to accept! I wasn't sure if departments might not take kindly to an applicant waiting until the last few days to accept their offer.

Incidentally, what on earth is going on with UC Riverside and UVA? I thought for sure I would have heard back from them from now.

Edited by SlumberingTrout

26 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I wasn't sure if departments might not take kindly to an applicant waiting until the last few days to accept their offer

The thing that's weirdly hard to remember is that they go through this every year. They know that it's a big decision for you and that such a thing takes time to consider. I would just be candid and should they write you asking for an update (which they do because they'll also be trying to secure their cohort for next year and because they'll be getting questions from their waitlisted students too), let them know that you're still considering their offer and are very grateful for the opportunity, but are waiting to hear back from another school you're waitlisted at before making your final decision. They'll understand. :) Congrats on a successful app cycle either way!

27 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

I am considering sending Riverside an email.

13 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

Riverside is notorious for keeping silent until very late in this process—that is, for those not initially accepted. I was waitlisted last year, but didn't know about it until mid April. 

I withdrew my application about a month ago, and the director of grad admissions responded to my email immediately with something to the effect of "well, just for the record, you were on our backup list." So yes, I think they have made decisions and would be more than willing to share your status with you if you contacted them.

Edited by gvg

What is the deal with UConn anyway? Do they normally just trickle in notices like this? 

I too am ready to be finished off. Just let my academic dreams die, don't prolong it anymore.

1 hour ago, shifgrethor said:

Fair. I can't tell if I hope it is real or fake. Kind of want to be rejected so I can stop using the possibility of NYU as a way to avoid making a final decision :/

There's a second one. So perhaps it's starting.

14 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

There are two NYU acceptances out now. Guess that's a wrap for me this year. Time to start thinking about decisions. 

Looks like you’ve got some amazing options! Where are you leaning?

7 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

Looks like you’ve got some amazing options! Where are you leaning?

Thanks. At the moment, I'm split between Chicago and Pittsburgh.  

9 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Thanks. At the moment, I'm split between Chicago and Pittsburgh.  

What are you interested in within ancient, if you don't mind my asking? I was a classics major and I miss it sometimes.

17 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

What are you interested in within ancient, if you don't mind my asking? I was a classics major and I miss it sometimes.

I'm interested broadly in Aristotle's theoretical philosophy (metaphysics, logic, physics, teleology and psychology), and have a particular interest in his remarks on modality across his metaphysical and logical works. 

Edited by Metanoia

Just curious as to whether anyone has heard back Queen's University in Kingston, ON, specifically the M.A. program. I know first round of admissions start early March; I would appreciate it a great deal if I could here back from any members here that receive an offer of admission.

Thank you, sincerely.

5 minutes ago, Lostmyreason08 said:

Just curious as to whether anyone has heard back Queen's University in Kingston, ON, specifically the M.A. program. I know first round of admissions start early March; I would appreciate it a great deal if I could here back from any members here that receive an offer of admission.

Thank you, sincerely.

I'm waiting to hear back as well. Are you applying to the specialized MA in political/legal thought, or just the regular MA?