2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

34 minutes ago, yhkim said:

Great to meet another third-world international applicant! haha If you are offered to visit, you must be really at the top of the WL, likely to be accepted. I know how it is hard for third-world students to get into top North American phd programs, especially philosophy programs. (I have grad students friends in other disciplines, and they seem to have less difficulty...) It might be because of language or the small number of phd positions in philosophy... but either case, congratulations that you and I made it to here! Best of luck with your remaining schools and visits!

I'm an international student from a third-world county too. I'm from China? And I agree with you about how few students from third-world countries study philosophy in North America. It is hard. And most international students from china tend to pursue more lucrative careers. It's also hard for you to believe that you could study philosophy in the phd level here. Although I did my undergrad in the states, I really didn't believe I could get into any phd program until I got the offer from Toronto. After all, you can hardly see any non-white/Asian philosophers in North American universities. 

28 minutes ago, mynameismyname said:

So I'm one of those who haven't heard anything back from ND. I sent the DGS there a short email asking about the status of my application and he responded confirming that I was on the waitlist. He also mentioned that he would be sending out information later today about the details of the waitlist and that he would be in constant communication with all the waitlisted applicants as the dynamics of admission unfold over the coming weeks. 

I was tempted to do the same but my partner convinced me to stop thinking so much about it! Did he mention if it's a ranked wait-list? Or did he just say he'll tell you later today?

3 minutes ago, eigenname said:

I was tempted to do the same but my partner convinced me to stop thinking so much about it! Did he mention if it's a ranked wait-list? Or did he just say he'll tell you later today?

He didn't say. But I imagine he'll give that information later today when he contacts the rest of the wait-listed applicants. 

1 hour ago, quinessloopypun said:

Thank you so much. It's great to meet you, a fellow international philosophy-fighther, too!

I hope that I am at somewhere at the top of the list, though I haven't heard anything.

Ain't that the truth? Not only is philosophy such a language-dependent discipline, but also dwindling in job market and so on. The odds are stacked against us in the process. A few of my professors mentioned that it was much easier to get into the top programs back in their days as international applicants, since most of the process was to find an eager letter writer. So though sad, it is not incomprehensible that it's getting tougher and tougher for internationals to make it to the top programs in North America.

Congratulations to you, too--you seem to have made it to beautiful programs as well.

58 minutes ago, episode413 said:

I'm an international student from a third-world county too. I'm from China? And I agree with you about how few students from third-world countries study philosophy in North America. It is hard. And most international students from china tend to pursue more lucrative careers. It's also hard for you to believe that you could study philosophy in the phd level here. Although I did my undergrad in the states, I really didn't believe I could get into any phd program until I got the offer from Toronto. After all, you can hardly see any non-white/Asian philosophers in North American universities. 

To episode 413: Oh I simply assumed you were American based on your mentor being an American professor haha...

To quinessloopypun: People will decline offers from schools like Princeton only after careful deliberation, so don't lose hope!

I guess the thing about decreasing positions and language is at least half of the truth. My professors are all from Yale, Harvard, Princeton, and NYU. But the present situation makes me wonder how that was possible... My advisor (from NYU) said that it has become much tougher after the financial crisis, which might explain part of the situation. In addition, with episode 413, I agree that what we see significantly affects our understanding of our own prospects. That is also a problem for female philosophers, regardless of race.

Having said that, it almost feels like a miracle that I got into programs like Harvard and UCLA. I too didn't believe that I could make it until I got my offers... Like, I am a non-American Asian female who spent the whole life in Seoul and learned English as a second language! lol

My friend who is doing phd in the US advised me not to have ambitions (because you'll be so stressed out), but I at least want to do it in a way that leaves open the path for future Asian and/or female students. 

At any rate, it's encouraging to meet you guys here, and really, best wishings for your admissions and philosophical careers!

Edited by yhkim

On 2/17/2018 at 3:20 PM, Saltatrix said:

This is my first post here - the above post motivated me to create an account and share my experiences. I applied to 13 programs, hoping for an acceptance to an MA program or two, but prepared for the real possibility of being shut out, based on what I'd read here and heard from others about how competitive admission is these days. Especially since everyone here seems so knowledgable and accomplished! 

So far I've been accepted to 7 PhD programs and rejected from 1, and still have to hear back from the other 5. I have been in shock the past couple weeks; I seriously can't believe my good fortune! My acceptances, in order of when I heard from each program, are: Stony Brook, DePaul, Penn State, Emory, Vanderbilt, Loyola Chicago, and Duquesne. My rejection is from Northwestern. I have yet to hear back from: UC Riverside, UC Irvine, New Mexico, Memphis, and Oregon.

I am totally thrilled as this is beyond anything I could have imagined. At this point, I have absolutely no idea which program I will attend, and because of that, I haven't declined an offer yet. But I promise, as soon as I decide not to attend one, I'll notify the department immediately so a spot will open up to the next very deserving applicant! 

I wish all the best for everyone! Stay hopeful!   

Hey I am in waitlist for DePaul... you think you will attend DePaul? or you will more likely decline the offer? thanks!

5 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

Notre Dame wait-lists are out, it seems. Props to Curtis Franks for being absolutely straightforward and well informative.

Are all the wait-list notifications out? I have received nothing, so now it's definitely weird. Was the email a generic email?

Edited by eigenname

"The admissions committee decided today, as it was finalizing the wait-list, not to keep your application alive any longer.

We received 306 applications initially, and after a month of screening, we rejected over 200 of these files, deeming the others all very attractive prospects who would be suitable for PhD. work here. Then after some further screening, we decided on the students to initially admit. The admissions committee then returned to the files in between to try to organize the waiting list. During this task, they decided that it was unfeasible to retain more than a few files on this list, as it was impractical to think that we would need a long list in order to fill our class. While your application generated considerable interest here, it was not included in the few files that we decided to retain on the wait list."

Lame. 

15 minutes ago, eigenname said:
"The admissions committee decided today, as it was finalizing the wait-list, not to keep your application alive any longer.

We received 306 applications initially, and after a month of screening, we rejected over 200 of these files, deeming the others all very attractive prospects who would be suitable for PhD. work here. Then after some further screening, we decided on the students to initially admit. The admissions committee then returned to the files in between to try to organize the waiting list. During this task, they decided that it was unfeasible to retain more than a few files on this list, as it was impractical to think that we would need a long list in order to fill our class. While your application generated considerable interest here, it was not included in the few files that we decided to retain on the wait list."

Lame. 

Bummer... I guess I'll be receiving a similar email soon

15 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Lame. 

Man, that's...rough. I guess I'll be getting something to the same effect in a few minutes? I guess it's good that they're being honest? 

5 minutes ago, gvg said:

Man, that's...rough. I guess I'll be getting something to the same effect in a few minutes? I guess it's good that they're being honest? 

I'm just glad I ended the second-guessing quickly. Now to move on. <_<

12 hours ago, Zimmy64 said:

In the exact same boat as you. Although I'm hopeful I'll get in eventually. What is your AOI and what faculty at GSU appeal to you? I'm interested in Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Economics, and Philosophy of Law so both Andrew Cohens and Andrew Altman do work I'm very much interested in. 

I'm mostly into German idealism, post-Kantian German philosophy, and political philosophy, so hopefully our interests won't make it so that we're competing for the same spots haha. 

5 hours ago, dogs said:

...it really is your writing sample, letters, and personal statement which matters to the admissions committee, even at very preliminary stages of the process. I think if it wouldn't harm your application for you to work on re-taking the GRE, you should certainly go for it. But if your scores don't improve substantially this time, I wouldn't feel disheartened about that. Moreover, I think that if it is time that could be spent working to improve your writing sample, maybe it's not worth it.

Helpful, relevant, and succinct advice, dogs.  And I agree that evidence of serious scholarship potential is more crucial than scores.  You made me realize I have been deceiving myself (just a little) about how much improving the scores can help me.  But in light of your perspective I still feel encouraged to re-take, but with more realistic expectations.  Thank you and big congratulations on your remarkable acceptance rate into top departments.    :D

I'd only consider retaking the GRE if your composite score is less than 310. I was just a little over that, and I've been accepted to four top 10 programs thus far and wait listed at another. I also know of another applicant whose composite score was about the same, and they've been accepted to five top 10 programs. 

It really is all about your writing sample and letters of rec. Fit matters, too, but less than I initially thought. 

4 minutes ago, SophiaIsBae said:

I'd only consider retaking the GRE if your composite score is less than 310. I was just a little over that, and I've been accepted to four top 10 programs thus far and wait listed at another. I also know of another applicant whose composite score was about the same, and they've been accepted to five top 10 programs. 

It really is all about your writing sample and letters of rec. Fit matters, too, but less than I initially thought. 

I would agree, and add that the fit of a department isn't always easy to figure out. 

Random comment: For what it's worth for those still waiting to hear back from Virginia: the committee has not made final decisions about applications, despite sending out an initial round of acceptances (and at least one wait list). It seems as if they are waiting to hear back from those who have received offers before moving on in the process.

So feel free to continue to cling to your futile hope,  philosophy mortals.