2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

3 hours ago, eigenname said:

Guessing I am wait-listed at Notre Dame; luck ran out for tonight! :D

Same situation. At this point, all the schools I've applied to have sent out acceptances, and I haven't received any; barring a miracle with a wait list, I'm looking at a total shutout this season. 

6 minutes ago, episode413 said:

has anyone who received the informal admission email from the DGS at Toronto received the formal offer? He said the formal offer would be sent out by the end of Feb 

I haven't received a formal offer yet.

2 hours ago, Philodoxia said:

Has more than just one heard back from UM-Amherst?

I've heard back from Amherst now. But I was also offered a Puryear fellowship, and the email was pretty unofficial. So chances are they still haven't sent out the rest of their acceptances. 

12 hours ago, Needle In The Hay said:

Is there anyone who was accepted or waitlisted at Fordham who plans to decline? I was waitlisted there and I'm really hoping to get an offer. It would be an excellent fit and I'm not sure if I'll have any other offers at this point. 

I was accepted at Fordham. My problem is similar to yours: it's currently my only PhD acceptance (of four applications). I'm still waiting to hear back from Boston College, SLU, and all four MA programs I applied to (which would hopefully slide eventually into ND, Rutgers, or SLU).

If y

11 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

I was accepted at Fordham. My problem is similar to yours: it's currently my only PhD acceptance (of four applications). I'm still waiting to hear back from Boston College, SLU, and all four MA programs I applied to (which would hopefully slide eventually into ND, Rutgers, or SLU).

If you haven't heard from SLU, it is doubtful there will be an acceptance. Acceptances and waitlists are already out. You could email them but not much hope there.

BC is a pain in the ass. I also applied there. They should really send out rejections and waitlists so we can get on with our plans. They are holding admissions back.

5 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

If y

If you haven't heard from SLU, it is doubtful there will be an acceptance. Acceptances and waitlists are already out. You could email them but not much hope there.

BC is a pain in the ass. I also applied there. They should really send out rejections and waitlists so we can get on with our plans. They are holding admissions back.

The SLU app deadline was February 14. That implies what strikes me as a pretty short time to review apps... But if the decisions are out, they're out. How have people been notified? I haven't kept up with this thread well.

I obviously don't know the inside of a philosophy department, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard for any institution to send out a mass BCC rejection email.

This whole process is so mentally kaleidoscopic. My Fordham app was very weak, as all of my documents (writing sample included) were at a *very* nascent stage. By the time the SLU deadline rolled around, I thought I had built an excellent application for their program. Hm.

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

The SLU app deadline was February 14. That implies what strikes me as a pretty short time to review apps... But if the decisions are out, they're out. How have people been notified? I haven't kept up with this thread well.

I obviously don't know the inside of a philosophy department, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard for any institution to send out a mass BCC rejection email.

This whole process is so mentally kaleidoscopic. My Fordham app was very weak, as all of my documents (writing sample included) were at a *very* nascent stage. By the time the SLU deadline rolled around, I thought I had built an excellent application for their program. Hm.

You may be considered for the MA at SLU. But the PhD acceptances and waitlists came out last Thursday or Friday . . . just a few days ago. 

And I agree with your last statement. I'm beat up at this point and it hurts mentally to analyze it too much. 

9 hours ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

You may be considered for the MA at SLU. But the PhD acceptances and waitlists came out last Thursday or Friday . . . just a few days ago. 

And I agree with your last statement. I'm beat up at this point and it hurts mentally to analyze it too much. 

You really don't know whether Rose-Colored Dasein, or anyone else who has not heard back from SLU, has been rejected there. Grad cafe can give preliminary reason to expect particular results, but usually not with the kind of certainty you are suggesting. In this case, Rose-Colored Dasein might be on a "hidden waitlist" among other possibilities. I know that's possible because it happened to me at SLU one year. Moreover, I had a real shot of being accepted since the formal (i.e., "non-hidden") waitlist was very short. 

Edited by Needle In The Hay

23 minutes ago, Needle In The Hay said:

You really don't know whether Rose-Colored Dasein, or anyone else who has not heard back from SLU, has been rejected there. Grad cafe can give preliminary reason to expect particular results, but usually not with the kind of certainty you are suggesting. In this case, Rose-Colored Dasein might be on a "hidden waitlist" among other possibilities. I know that's possible because it happened to me at SLU one year. Moreover, I had a real shot of being accepted since the formal (i.e., "non-hidden") waitlist was very short. 

Agree entirely. ...though I don't know why schools just don't put you low on the official list instead of on a hidden waitlist that is, theoretically, lower than the actual waitlist.