2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

Hi, do you guys have any rough idea when the visits for NYU (or Princeton) will be (under the assumption that one gets accepted)?

I am a grad student in Seoul, South Korea, and visiting UCLA (7-9) and Harvard (19-21) on the official dates. I'm having trouble booking my flights to and from US, and also within US because of the programs that haven't yet made their decisions...

Of course the possibility of rejection is faaaar greater, and I'm leaning to making reservations under the assumption that I am rejected by remaining programs. But should the occasion arise by any possibility I would have to cancel flight tickets, that will be so expensive... And the thoughts about costs are troubling, so high for a grad student...

Edited by yhkim

5 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

Same! Were you invited to visit campus?

I was not. "There's a real possibility I will be offering you admission before the season concludes in mid-April" was about the extent of it. If you were invited to visit, I imagine that means you're very near the top of the waiting list!

2 hours ago, yhkim said:

Hi, do you guys have any rough idea when the visits for NYU (or Princeton) will be (under the assumption that one gets accepted)?

I am a grad student in Seoul, South Korea, and visiting UCLA (7-9) and Harvard (19-21) on the official dates. I'm having trouble booking my flights to and from US, and also within US because of the programs that haven't yet made their decisions...

Of course the possibility of rejection is faaaar greater, and I'm leaning to making reservations under the assumption that I am rejected by remaining programs. But should the occasion arise by any possibility I would have to cancel flight tickets, that will be so expensive... And the thoughts about costs are troubling, so high for a grad student...

I don't have any info about those programs, but I agree that making these plans is a ridiculous game. I live in the US, but in a rural area, and flights out of the local airport can be pricey. I'm trying to organize travel plans to visit a few campuses, but it's a mess because I booked flights to visit one school before I heard back from the other, and the dates overlap so I am trying to reschedule things which might be a mess. Plus the reimbursement limit is usually $500 (for domestic) and the absolute lowest cost ONE WAY to get to the second school I'm trying to get to is at least $560. Considering that I also have to find a way to take the extra time off of work, I don't know how feasible it'll be to visit.

I didn't realize this would be such a difficult aspect of the process!

I wish you the best of luck, though. I'm sure Harvard and UCLA have reimbursement budgets, and if they aren't offering enough to cover the full costs, you could try having a conversation with them about it to see if they'd be willing to provide some extra money, considering that the flights sound like they're currently very expensive. I've also heard of multiple programs splitting costs for international student travel to make it easier, so you could talk to them about that. So, for example, one school could pay for your ticket to the US, another could pay for your ticket home, and they'd split the cost of the domestic flight between the schools, or something like that. If, by some stroke of luck, you get another acceptance in the next few days for a program with a visit between those dates, that could be something you could discuss with them too.

2 hours ago, eigenname said:

I know Pittsburgh HPS does it, but not sure who else does. 

I know somebody on the MIT waitlist, and so I know that MIT is inviting at least some of the people on their waitlist to fly out.

2 hours ago, Pythian said:

Waitlisted at Indiana with an invitation to visit. Is inviting people high on the waitlist to visit a common practice?

I think so. I'm on the waitlist for Toronto, and was invited to visit. 

A few waitlist emails from UCLA were just reported. To anyone who received one: Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, what did the email look like (e.g. was it personalized, was it a generic letter, did it contain any information about the waitlist)? I still haven't heard anything back from UCLA at all, so I'm trying to figure out whether or not they've sent out emails to everyone who was waitlisted.

Edited by Stencil

16 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

Congratulations, and congratulations to those accepted.

Another one to add to the "Definitely rejected (inferred)" list.

Do you think the rest of us can expect our rejections tomorrow? It seems like Princeton generally sends out their rejections the day of or after acceptances.

4 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

Do you think the rest of us can expect our rejections tomorrow? It seems like Princeton generally sends out their rejections the day of or after acceptances.

The way the e-mail sounds suggests that they are done with everything, set up the visiting days and so on. Unfortunately, probably.

6 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

It was a personalized e-mail from Hendrik Lorenz, as far as I can tell--commending me on my writing sample especially.

Did you have a sample in Ancient phil?