2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

6 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

Still nothing from UConn, UCSD or CUNY? Not being able to start planning my life is driving me crazy. Any other control freaks here?! 

It's easy for me to start planning my life. I'm thinking about what I'll do when I finally get the rest of my rejections and look for a career outside philosophy.

10 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

Still nothing from UConn, UCSD or CUNY? Not being able to start planning my life is driving me crazy. Any other control freaks here?! 

I am also VERY anxiously awaiting UConn and Colorado as the most likely ones left. It seems that UConn generally announces pretty late? That's why I have seen looking from years past. It seems like a few years ago, it was a real mess so I hope it will be better this year.

30 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

Waiting on UCSD and CUNY too, in addition to UNC Chapel Hill, Columbia and Notre Dame. I am also expecting NYU to tell me I will never deserve their love and to try to plug their bioethics MA program to me again.

32 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

It's easy for me to start planning my life. I'm thinking about what I'll do when I finally get the rest of my rejections and look for a career outside philosophy.

At least we can all rest assured that anyone bright enough to be even a theoretical candidate for a PhD in Philosophy will be able to do well at some other graduate career path - one that is also probably far more financially rewarding (even if not intellectually)!

3 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

At least we can all rest assured that anyone bright enough to be even a theoretical candidate for a PhD in Philosophy will be able to do well at some other graduate career path - one that is also probably far more financially rewarding (even if not intellectually)!

Well, I dropped out of a top law school to do a philosophy MA. Not sure I will be switching to "some other graduate career path" at this point either.

4 minutes ago, philosophyswede said:

Ah, it sounds like you're pretty committed to this path then - hope things work out for you!!

They aren't. Thanks, though; I appreciate it. With 167+ on both parts of the GRE and almost all As in my MA program, I guess my writing sample must have just been really bad.

3 hours ago, Stencil said:

A few waitlist emails from UCLA were just reported. To anyone who received one: Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, what did the email look like (e.g. was it personalized, was it a generic letter, did it contain any information about the waitlist)? I still haven't heard anything back from UCLA at all, so I'm trying to figure out whether or not they've sent out emails to everyone who was waitlisted.

It was personalized. The DGS mentioned my sample. He said there are around thirty people on the waitlist. It's not strictly ranked. And in the past years they offered 7 or 8 admissions after the first around. It seems that he hasn't finished sending out waitlists based on the small number of reports. Good luck to both of us! 

11 hours ago, yhkim said:

Hi, do you guys have any rough idea when the visits for NYU (or Princeton) will be (under the assumption that one gets accepted)?

I am a grad student in Seoul, South Korea, and visiting UCLA (7-9) and Harvard (19-21) on the official dates. I'm having trouble booking my flights to and from US, and also within US because of the programs that haven't yet made their decisions...

Of course the possibility of rejection is faaaar greater, and I'm leaning to making reservations under the assumption that I am rejected by remaining programs. But should the occasion arise by any possibility I would have to cancel flight tickets, that will be so expensive... And the thoughts about costs are troubling, so high for a grad student...

NYU usually sends out offers late February/early March. So I guess their visiting days would also be later than other schools such as UCLA and Harvard. Several people have reported acceptances from Princeton. And yeah like the other person said, you should ask if the schools could split your travel costs. I was just waitlisted at UCLA. Hopefully you'll make your decision soon! May I ask your AOI? Good luck with the visits! 

56 minutes ago, Eudaimon said:

Anyone want to claim the McGill acceptance? Also, does anyone know if the admissions timeline is different for American applicants? 

Funding packages are probably different for international applicants, so yes I would not be surprised if it came out on a different day. Canada does things a bit different than the US with funding packages, but unfortunately often has less funding available for international applicants so it can be more competitive. 

1 hour ago, Eudaimon said:

Anyone want to claim the McGill acceptance? Also, does anyone know if the admissions timeline is different for American applicants? 

35 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Funding packages are probably different for international applicants, so yes I would not be surprised if it came out on a different day. Canada does things a bit different than the US with funding packages, but unfortunately often has less funding available for international applicants so it can be more competitive. 

My friend from the UK got accepted to McGill today,  and I am guessing that, from the perspective of Canada, Americans and British applicants are on the same timeline.

Edited by eigenname

3 hours ago, eigenname said:

My friend from the UK got accepted to McGill today,  and I am guessing that, from the perspective of Canada, Americans and British applicants are on the same timeline.

Yea if someone from the UK got an offer today, then its probably not a delay on putting together an international funding package. 

5 hours ago, episode413 said:

NYU usually sends out offers late February/early March. So I guess their visiting days would also be later than other schools such as UCLA and Harvard. Several people have reported acceptances from Princeton. And yeah like the other person said, you should ask if the schools could split your travel costs. I was just waitlisted at UCLA. Hopefully you'll make your decision soon! May I ask your AOI? Good luck with the visits! 

Thanks for your advice! My AOI are political philosophy and normative ethics. I guess I'm rejected from Princeton. No surprise... They only have one faculty member in the philosophy dept. working in my AOI.

Hope the admits in your AOI make quick decisions! I'll try.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by yhkim

29 minutes ago, yhkim said:

Thanks for your advice! My AOI are political philosophy and normative ethics. I guess I'm rejected from Princeton. No surprise... They only have one faculty member in the philosophy dept. working in my AOI.

Hope the admits in your AOI make quick decisions! I'll try.

Best of luck to you!

We actually have the same AOI haha. I wasn't admitted at Harvard, but I got an email from Gina Schouten today. She's a former PhD student of my undergrad mentor. She's really nice! And a brilliant mind! So jealous of you haha. Good luck! 

Waitlisted at UCLA. 

So far, then: 

UC Irvine, University of Maryland [Admitted]

UCLA, University of Rochester [Waitlisted] 

24 more schools to hear back from...

Will turn down Maryland and take myself off the Rochester waitlist, so I hope that frees up a space for somebody. 

Has anyone heard from Iowa Writer's Workshop yet? How do they send out rejections, by letter or email? I've seen quite a few acceptances in the results page last week but haven't heard if they're still giving acceptance notifications.

15 hours ago, Pythian said:

Waitlisted at Indiana with an invitation to visit. Is inviting people high on the waitlist to visit a common practice?

I'm waitlisted at U Cincinnati, and they are flying me out there Thursday for the grad recruiting weekend. Not sure about elsewhere, though. I'm also on the waiting lists of UW Seattle, U Minnesota, and U Iowa, and they have not offered to fund my visits. So, I'm grateful to UCinC for their generosity.

10 hours ago, Metanoia said:

Did you have a sample in Ancient phil?

10 hours ago, philosobro said:

What was your sample on?

It was on formal semantics. I believe that he was speaking on behalf of the committee rather than his personal opinion.

Edited by quinessloopypun

18 hours ago, gvg said:

I don't have any info about those programs, but I agree that making these plans is a ridiculous game. I live in the US, but in a rural area, and flights out of the local airport can be pricey. I'm trying to organize travel plans to visit a few campuses, but it's a mess because I booked flights to visit one school before I heard back from the other, and the dates overlap so I am trying to reschedule things which might be a mess. Plus the reimbursement limit is usually $500 (for domestic) and the absolute lowest cost ONE WAY to get to the second school I'm trying to get to is at least $560. Considering that I also have to find a way to take the extra time off of work, I don't know how feasible it'll be to visit.

I didn't realize this would be such a difficult aspect of the process!

I wish you the best of luck, though. I'm sure Harvard and UCLA have reimbursement budgets, and if they aren't offering enough to cover the full costs, you could try having a conversation with them about it to see if they'd be willing to provide some extra money, considering that the flights sound like they're currently very expensive. I've also heard of multiple programs splitting costs for international student travel to make it easier, so you could talk to them about that. So, for example, one school could pay for your ticket to the US, another could pay for your ticket home, and they'd split the cost of the domestic flight between the schools, or something like that. If, by some stroke of luck, you get another acceptance in the next few days for a program with a visit between those dates, that could be something you could discuss with them too.

Good to meet someone to share my feelings! All this unorganized process is difficult for students not living in urban areas in the US... though I know it's so lucky to have opportunities to visit at all. A flight from Seoul to the US takes around 11~16 hours, $600~900 for a one way ticket! Crazy. If you are currently employed, that must be crazier...

I'll ask the programs as you recommended. Thanks and wish you good luck with the visits!!

Edited by yhkim