2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

16 minutes ago, Pythian said:

Acceptances: Texas A&M (PhD), Northern Illinois (MA. Still waiting on funding)

Waitlist: University of Miami, USC (California)

Rejection: Baylor, University of Wisconsin Madison, University of Michigan, Berkeley

I wonder what percent of acceptances are given to a small minority of applicants. If there is an applicant with a very strong application, then they will be accepted to most places they apply, and if they apply broadly, then they will take up many acceptance spots. I can't wait until NYU, Princeton, and Rutgers send out their decisions to get this process moving. Fingers crossed that those given an acceptance to USC will also be accepted into another program they prefer!

I am surprised by how my decisions don't correlate to schools' PGR ranking. I am waitlisted at USC (rank 8), but rejected by Baylor (unranked). It goes to show how variable (and perhaps arbitrary) the decision making process is when a school has to choose between so many qualified applicants. Anyone else have any big disparities like this?

All applicants should keep these sorts of disparities in mind. It happens every year. Some are on the brink of getting shut out, only to be accepted to a top-5 last minute. This process is quite unpredictable, save for the exceptional cases (e.g., all elements of the file are top-notch—like, perfect GREs and a published sample). 

Edited by shadowyBeing

5 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

All applicants should keep these sorts of disparities in mind. It happends every year. Some are on the brink of getting shut out, only to be accepted to a top-5 last minute. This process is quite unpredictable, save for the exceptional cases (e.g., all elements of the file are top-notch—like, perfect GREs and a published sample). 

I am sure I am not the first to question the method, but if such discrepancies exist, how confident can programs be that they are in fact accepting the best applicants. It seems doubtful that the application process 'tracks truth', so to say.

Something I don't see mentioned often enough is that there is value in applying to MAs in addition to PhDs merely because it could give you a second chance at the application cycle.

4 minutes ago, Pythian said:

I am sure I am not the first to question the method, but if such discrepancies exist, how confident can programs be that they are in fact accepting the best applicants. It seems doubtful that the application process 'tracks truth', so to say.

Something I don't see mentioned often enough is that there is value in applying to MAs in addition to PhDs merely because it could give you a second chance at the application cycle.

The method has built-in vagaries: issues having to do with fit, what faculty are willing to work on, how a sample *strikes* them, how each member of the adcom interprets letters of rec, how each adcom member values different elements differently (e.g., some think the GRE is useless, while others think it tracks philosophical/academic ability and so is important). What would be worrying is if the method was too iron-clad, only measuring quantitative data points (i.e., GRE and GPA). That would seem to be a very unreliable method. 

5 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

The method has built-in vagaries: issues having to do with fit, what faculty are willing to work on, how a sample *strikes* them, how each member of the adcom interprets letters of rec, how each adcom member values different elements differently (e.g., some think the GRE is useless, while others think it tracks philosophical/academic ability and so is important). What would be worrying is if the method was too iron-clad, only measuring quantitative data points (i.e., GRE and GPA). That would seem to be a very unreliable method. 

This is very true. I do appreciate how contextual and qualitative the process is -- but I would be lying if I said it wasn't also frustrating!

What are people's thoughts about interviews in the application process? I am not sure what I think about it. Part of me would like the chance to make a good impression, another part wonders if it would help track academic ability, and a final part of me would worry about fucking up it up.

1 hour ago, Pythian said:

What are people's thoughts about interviews in the application process? I am not sure what I think about it. Part of me would like the chance to make a good impression, another part wonders if it would help track academic ability, and a final part of me would worry about fucking up it up.

I'm torn, as you seem to be. On the one hand, one could make a terrible impression and spoil one's otherwise fair chance at an excellent education. On the other hand, they are making a significant commitment when they offer us admission, and it's fair that they want some more assurance that they're making the right choice or that they won't hate working with us. Academics are crucial, but they aren't the only factor.

25 minutes ago, Pythian said:

This is very true. I do appreciate how contextual and qualitative the process is -- but I would be lying if I said it wasn't also frustrating!

Personally I am strongly opposed to interviews in graduate applications. I don't think they would track academic ability or potential much, and instead unjustly hurt the chances of many classes of applicants. Those with superior social skills and the ability to project confidence will do better, as will those who happen to hit it off well with the professor(s) interviewing them from a social perspective, even if they aren't the best substantive candidates. Those who are quicker on their feet in the moment will be rewarded. Furthermore, those who are not applying while still in undergrad/a masters program will be rustier and won't be able to as easily draw on past knowledge in these conversations.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:45 AM, Aboutness said:

The problem of trying again the next year is that of being outside of an institution. No recommender would evaluate your recent work in philosophy and you become alienated from the whole discipline.

That's one way to look at it.  Being 0/8 so far this season I look at this potential failure as an opportunity to hone in on a few departments and get deeply familiar with the work of some people I'd be thrilled to study with... read their books and get involved with the convo etc.  I don't think it could hurt to communicate an interest in studying to a potential advisor.  That way they'll at least know who you are when you bring their name up in your statement of purpose the next time.  My sense is to get into a department that way on the 2nd or 3rd try would be ideal compared to accepting a 1st round offer from a dept that inspires lukewarm sentiments. 

14 minutes ago, LORDBACON said:

That's one way to look at it.  Being 0/8 so far this season I look at this potential failure as an opportunity to hone in on a few departments and get deeply familiar with the work of some people I'd be thrilled to study with... read their books and get involved with the convo etc.  I don't think it could hurt to communicate an interest in studying to a potential advisor.  That way they'll at least know who you are when you bring their name up in your statement of purpose the next time.  My sense is to get into a department that way on the 2nd or 3rd try would be ideal compared to accepting a 1st round offer from a dept that inspires lukewarm sentiments. 

As someone coming from a year off, the most useful thing I've done with my application is completely rewrite my writing sample. Without school work, all of my intellectual energy went into that single piece of writing, and the topic it was about. I was spending about 20 hours a week for about three months writing, and rewriting my paper, getting feedback, then doing it again. I think the process has paid off, because I have been waitlisted at one of my top PhD choices (USC) and accepted at one of my top MA choices (NIU).

I also want to say that a year away from the academy can be spent bolstering your application with real world experience. I have been doing Americorps--it is very fun and rewarding work, it makes you eligible for application fee waivers, and looks good on an application. If you are shutout and thinking about trying again, and have a good work ethic, I would suggest looking at programs. Another option might be applying for a foundation or think tank job, if those are still available.

9 minutes ago, Pythian said:

As someone coming from a year off, the most useful thing I've done with my application is completely rewrite my writing sample. Without school work, all of my intellectual energy went into that single piece of writing, and the topic it was about. I was spending about 20 hours a week for about three months writing, and rewriting my paper, getting feedback, then doing it again. I think the process has paid off, because I have been waitlisted at one of my top PhD choices (USC) and accepted at one of my top MA choices (NIU).

I also want to say that a year away from the academy can be spent bolstering your application with real world experience. I have been doing Americorps--it is very fun and rewarding work, it makes you eligible for application fee waivers, and looks good on an application. If you are shutout and thinking about trying again, and have a good work ethic, I would suggest looking at programs. Another option might be applying for a foundation or think tank job, if those are still available.

Thanks Pythian, and congrats on the success you're having this round.  I suspect relentless revisions of the sample is the single factor to emphasize (advice I lazily ignored).  Should the need arise I will have an MA thesis to bring to the table next time.  Still better to get in down the road with one of my <3's than to settle for a BC this year. 

26 minutes ago, Pythian said:

Much congrats. But I must say that this is the part of academy that really discourages me - the never  good enough. Don't get me wrong. I love it not being good enough in the sense that every day it gives me a reason to get up and work on new innovative projects, writing new papers in constantly new and better ways. But it is also healthy to go sledding and hiking and walk away from your work. To me, its not particularly useful to spend 20 hours a week for three months editing on one single paper. If that's necessary, the system is really broken; it is in essence only wanting people who want to edit all day and not wanting people to grow into better and more holistic people. I know the professors will argue that one can have both, and to a degree, the two do go together. But we best beware of when we turn philosophy into an idol, not we the student per se, but the system. 

To me, philosophy is always about the kind of person we become. Aristotle understood this. Augustine understood this. Dante understood this. 

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

21 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Much congrats. But I must say that this is the part of academy that really discourages me - the never  good enough. Don't get me wrong. I love it not being good enough in the sense that every day it gives me a reason to get up and work on new innovative projects, writing new papers in constantly new and better ways. But it is also healthy to go sledding and hiking and walk away from your work. To me, its not particularly useful to spend 20 hours a week for three months editing on one single paper. If that's necessary, the system is really broken; it is in essence only wanting people who want to edit all day and not wanting people to grow into better and more holistic people. I know the professors will argue that one can have both, and to a degree, the two do go together. But we best beware of when we turn philosophy into an idol, not we the student per se, but the system. 

To me, philosophy is always about the kind of person we become. Aristotle understood this. Augustine understood this. Dante understood this. 

Good points you raised! I just want to defend my dignity as a human being--and not a monkey at a typewriter. I had just moved to a new city, and editing was my coping mechanism for my lack of social life.

I think the fault lies more in America's capitalist culture, and not the academy itself. Abstaining from present pleasures in favor of working towards long term goals is rewarded and encouraged. I think the biggest shame is that it is difficult to be a respected philosopher without existing in the academy. Given the rise of the internet, I am sure we will see an exception to the rule sometime in our lifetime, but its impossible to say when or how.

5 hours ago, Pythian said:

I wonder what percent of acceptances are given to a small minority of applicants. If there is an applicant with a very strong application, then they will be accepted to most places they apply, and if they apply broadly, then they will take up many acceptance spots. I can't wait until NYU, Princeton, and Rutgers send out their decisions to get this process moving. Fingers crossed that those given an acceptance to USC will also be accepted into another program they prefer!

I am surprised by how my decisions don't correlate to schools' PGR ranking. I am waitlisted at USC (rank 8), but rejected by Baylor (unranked). It goes to show how variable (and perhaps arbitrary) the decision making process is when a school has to choose between so many qualified applicants. Anyone else have any big disparities like this?

Maybe you buy this, or not, but Baylor tries to explain away the PGR non-ranking on their website:

"While our young program is not yet ready to be officially evaluated by the Philosophical Gourmet Report, the latest edition of the report recommends us for consideration in the areas of Philosophy of Religion, Epistemology, Philosophical Logic and Philosophy of Action."

is 16 years (12 as of the date of that writing) really that young?  A&M's is younger (I think) and last I checked they were at #50.

But their 73% permanent placement rate is impressive.

2 hours ago, Pythian said:

Good points you raised! I just want to defend my dignity as a human being--and not a monkey at a typewriter. I had just moved to a new city, and editing was my coping mechanism for my lack of social life.

I think the fault lies more in America's capitalist culture, and not the academy itself. Abstaining from present pleasures in favor of working towards long term goals is rewarded and encouraged. I think the biggest shame is that it is difficult to be a respected philosopher without existing in the academy. Given the rise of the internet, I am sure we will see an exception to the rule sometime in our lifetime, but its impossible to say when or how.

Yea I don't mean you specifically. We have to play their game. I've been playing it too. And I think there is some value in learning to edit for excellence, as long as its not our entire worth as philosophers. But it raises the question on the degree to which programs often look entirely at perfection in publishing material. The whole tenure system is broken away from good conversations that would transform the body of students at large, in our teaching work, and towards publish or perish.

It bothers me that sound bites at an interview are deemed to make one unworthy of a spot, for example. There is more here than meets the ear. The trend is disturbing.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, Fregeskind said:

What is up with Wisconsin-Madison? They are releasing rejections a little by little. Seemingly, they've already sent out not only acceptances but also waitlists. So it's not as if they are deliberating as they reject people. Ugh.

I applied to the MS program in Environment & Resources at University of Wisconsin-Madison and my advisor was the one to email me to tell me that I got in. I got a weird email late last week asking for an official transcript, and I've gotten some from coordinators about a visit, but still nothing official. I agree with you that it's a strange process! I know that my program isn't undergoing the same selection as everyone elses' but hopefully my answer can give you SOME solace.

3 hours ago, LORDBACON said:

Well said. I'm getting neatly flogged this season, but I do feel like I've discovered countless ways to improve for the next attempt - and how to better size up programs in terms of fit and faculty.

With all of that said, tomorrow never knows!  I, personally, am counting on the possibility that a hung-over Columbia acceptance committee mistakenly admits me instead of someone talented and driven.