2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

5 minutes ago, lyellgeo said:

That was Stony Brook, correct? Though I doubt they meant anything mean by it.

Yup, stony brook. Appreciate all the responses and insight, just seemed odd to me (and him).

12 minutes ago, philoguy said:

Hi all, asking for a friend who recently received a letter of rejection that ended by stating "we [school rejecting him] hope you apply again next year." I've seen my fair share of rejection letters, but I've never seen one like this. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this and whether it might be worth it for him to follow up with the school.

Way better than some schools. I heard someone got a rejection letter that told them to stop applying. 

I can't imagine why they would think that's an appropriate thing to put in a rejection letter. It will either be puzzling or discouraging, but not helpful.

13 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

Way better than some schools. I heard someone got a rejection letter that told them to stop applying. 

Okay, they could do worse, but that doesn't make it good.

Edited by PhiloStorian

Got my first rejection today, from Notre Dame. I also got a phone call just before, I presume from them. However, I'm in the mountains at the moment, and my service is too bad to check. Can someone else with the auto phone call post the number?

3 minutes ago, Schwarzwald said:

Got my first rejection today, from Notre Dame. I also got a phone call just before, I presume from them. However, I'm in the mountains at the moment, and my service is too bad to check. Can someone else with the auto phone call post the number?

None of the rejections listed were via phone. You may have been admitted somewhere else! Or maybe it was just a friend or a telemarketer.

13 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

None of the rejections listed were via phone. You may have been admitted somewhere else! Or maybe it was just a friend or a telemarketer.

11 minutes ago, eigenname said:

@Schwarzwald hoping for you that it's the former and not the latter! :D

I've got no friends and bad credit, so fingers crossed. :P

6 minutes ago, incredulous_stare said:

I have not heard back from ND. Are they not done sending out their rejections yet or does this mean I'm going to be waitlisted or even accepted???

Neither have I. I am hoping for the waitlist/acceptance, since it seems like their emails go out at the same time the last few years. :D But it's kind of weird that rejections all go out before the acceptances or the waitlists. 

Edited by eigenname

I've noticed that the old Philosophy Admissions wordpress website isn't being updated.

So, here is a google doc version that has (hopefully) a fairly up-to-date representation of what admissions, waitlists, and rejections have been sent out.

Feel free to comment anything I should fix!

1 hour ago, Metanoia said:

Speculations: Maybe the professors working in his AOIs are at full capacity and not currently taking students, but hope to do so next year; or perhaps, it was an extremely close call this time. 

do you know when visitation days are for Harvard?

Guest RoughAnatomy
1 hour ago, philoguy said:

Hi all, asking for a friend who recently received a letter of rejection that ended by stating "we [school rejecting him] hope you apply again next year." I've seen my fair share of rejection letters, but I've never seen one like this. I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this and whether it might be worth it for him to follow up with the school.

When I was applying for the PhD I'm finishing now (different subject matter), a school told me something similar. The caveat came from the DGS, rather than in the letter itself. 

It effectively means, "Your profile fits in with who we'd typically accept, but we had an abnormally strong pool this year. Apply again next year and we'll let you in."

Edited by RoughAnatomy

16 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

A comment on the list says 6 of 230 Cornell applicants were selected. 4 of those 6 are represented on the list. That's pretty solid.

Do you mean four have posted about acceptances on this forum/on facebook, or is there another list that people have posted on?

9 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I also applied to Notre Dame and didn't hear back. I keep telling myself that, realistically, all this means is that I haven't been rejected yet. Fingers crossed that we're all on a hidden waiting list, though. :)

Yeah, the rough part with some programs is that they will send out rejections alphabetically. So you'll think you're safe one day, but the next they will reject you as they're simply making their way down the list. USC, for instance, has been known to do this. 

16 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

Yeah, the rough part with some programs is that they will send out rejections alphabetically. So you'll think you're safe one day, but the next they will reject you as they're simply making their way down the list. USC, for instance, has been known to do this. 

My name is indeed near the end of the alphabet.

19 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

I was rejected at ND and I know someone whose first and last names both come before mine alphabetically and who has not heard back.

Edited by Needle In The Hay