2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

7 hours ago, prtrbd said:

Would really love those Notre Dame acceptances and waitlists to come out this week. UNC wouldn't hurt either. And (of course) NYU, Princeton, and Oxford.

Same! Waitlists are mostly frozen and decisions are of course not going to be made until those schools make their offers. Let's get the ball rolling!

Some notes I've gleaned from reports from the last 3 - 5 years for the programs I've yet to hear from:

Florida State: Very few rejections ever received or reported. Those that have been reported came in late March / early - mid April. Very few waitlists reported. No non-waitlist acceptances reported past February. --Seems like FSU may be non-communicative for the most part unless you've actually been accepted.

Bloomington: All rejections sent via postal service. Vast majority have been reported in the first 7 days of March. --Snail mail, in this day and age?!

Riverside: Rejections sent from late March through (very, very) late in April. Waitlists typically reported in first 7 days of March. Non-waitlist acceptances reliably reported before end of February. Many rejections solicited in early April. --If they don't want you, they're not going to put themselves out to let you in on that fact.

University of Virginia: Rejections and waitlists typically appear at the same time, which is generally end of February / first 7 days of March. --Forthcoming, I guess.

--For all, an alternative explanation is that late rejections are just left unreported by jaded and exhausted grad students.

9 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

Some notes I've gleaned from reports from the last 3 - 5 years for the programs I've yet to hear from:

Florida State: Very few rejections ever received or reported. Those that have been reported came in late March / early - mid April. Very few waitlists reported. No non-waitlist acceptances reported past February. --Seems like FSU may be non-communicative for the most part unless you've actually been accepted.

Bloomington: All rejections sent via postal service. Vast majority have been reported in the first 7 days of March. --Snail mail, in this day and age?!

Riverside: Rejections sent from late March through (very, very) late in April. Waitlists typically reported in first 7 days of March. Non-waitlist acceptances reliably reported before end of February. Many rejections solicited in early April. --If they don't want you, they're not going to put themselves out to let you in on that fact.

University of Virginia: Rejections and waitlists typically appear at the same time, which is generally end of February / first 7 days of March. --Forthcoming, I guess.

--For all, an alternative explanation is that late rejections are just left unreported by jaded and exhausted grad students.

Were you able to glean any insight into Notre Dame's practices? As someone also waiting for their decision, I have only gathered that their information trickles out, rather than all at once. I am hoping that I've avoided the last round of rejections and end up on the waitlist or accepted, but I'm not sure I can be confident in that!

Edited by Pythian

1 hour ago, Pythian said:

Were you able to glean any insight into Notre Dame's practices? As someone also waiting for their decision, I have only gathered that their information trickles out, rather than all at once. I am hoping that I've avoided the last round of rejections and end up on the waitlist or accepted, but I'm not sureI can be confident in that!

Their notices come out in 1-2 day blocks, where acceptances all come out at once, rejections all come out at once, etc. In '17, the first notice of any kind came out 2/27 and the last was 3/4; in '16, the first notice came out 2/18 and the last was 3/5; and in '15, the first notice was 2/18, and the last was 3/6. So there's about a 2 week span from late February to early March in which the vast majority of their notices come out.

The outliers were 2-3 acceptances/rejections per year that came in April or very late March. From what I could tell, the acceptances were from the waitlists. Some of the rejections were solicited (they had been overlooked I suppose); I'm not sure what to make of the others.

Generalizing in a very informal way, of course. But it helps reduce my anxiety slightly. :)

Edited by SlumberingTrout

9 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

Their notices come out in 1-2 day blocks, where acceptances all come out at once, rejections all come out at once, etc. In '17, the first notice of any kind came out 2/27 and the last was 3/4; in '16, the first notice came out 2/18 and the last was 3/5; and in '15, the first notice was 2/18, and the last was 3/6. So there's about a 2 week span from late February to early March in which the vast majority of their notices come out.

The outliers were 2-3 acceptances/rejections per year that came in April or very late March. From what I could tell, the acceptances were from the waitlists. Some of the rejections were solicited (they had been overlooked I suppose); I'm not sure what to make of the others.

Generalizing in a very informal way, of course. But it help reduce my anxiety slightly. :)

So maybe next week for acceptances? Is this the first year that the rejections came out first?

17 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

So maybe next week for acceptances? Is this the first year that the rejections came out first?

Seems to me the first year they released rejections first. Past few years had been reliably: acceptances -> wait-lists -> rejections. So I am not sure what to expect, though I don't think it'll take them another week to give out acceptances/wait-lists if they had already decided on who to reject.

51 minutes ago, philosobro said:

Unfortunately, I will not be able to visit Harvard on the designated days :( Have you gotten word of funding yet?

Oh, I don't even know what the visit dates are. When is the Harvard visit?

Also, no word on funding yet. I was told that the official letter should arrive in this week, with funding details, etc. 

31 minutes ago, SlumberingTrout said:

Generalizing in a very informal way, of course. But it help reduce my anxiety slightly. :)

Do the 1-2 day blocks tend contain acceptances, waitlist, and rejection notifications? Or does each kind of notification come out in its own 1-2 day block, with every kind of decision being accounted for within a 2 week span? Trying to understand schools' decision making process from the outside is kind of fun and keeps my mind busy -- its like a game of sudoku.

Based on your understanding, are people who have not received rejections from ND probably on the waitlist or accepted? I'm looking for confirmation to get my hopes up.

6 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Also, no word on funding yet. I was told that the official letter should arrive in this week, with funding details, etc. 

Yes, the visit days are March 19th-20th. I will actually be there for the last day.

Great! Are you waiting for anymore schools?

8 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

I was told March 19-21.

Edit: philosobro beat me to it.

Edited by be.

3 minutes ago, philosobro said:

We actually may both be right. The visit days are 19th-20th but it is recommended students come on the 18th and leave the 21st.

That must be it. My POI told me 19th-21st, but the visit coordinator told me 19th-20th.

4 minutes ago, be. said:

I was told March 19-21.

Edit: philosobro beat me to it.

5 minutes ago, philosobro said:

Yes, the visit days are March 19th-20th. I will actually be there for the last day.

Great! Are you waiting for anymore schools?

Thanks. I should be able to make it then. I live in the Boston area, so it's much easier haha. I'm glad the visit dates don't clash with Pitt and Chicago. I don't think I can visit Toronto since I won't be able to get a visa made in time. 

@philosobro Yes, I’m still awaiting decisions from Princeton, NYU, Columbia, Stanford and UT Austin. What about you?

7 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Thanks. I should be able to make it then. I live in the Boston area, so it's much easier haha. I'm glad the visit dates don't clash with Pitt and Chicago. I don't think I can visit Toronto since I won't be able to get a visa made in time. 

@philosobro Yes, I’m still awaiting decisions from Princeton, NYU, Columbia, Stanford and UT Austin. What about you?

Yes, Princeton, NYU, and Chapel Hill. But I am strongly leaning Harvard.

5 minutes ago, philosobro said:

Yes, Princeton, NYU, and Chapel Hill. But I am strongly leaning Harvard.

Harvard does indeed seem like an excellent fit for your interests - though more for political phil. than metaphysics. 

22 minutes ago, Pythian said:

Do the 1-2 day blocks tend contain acceptances, waitlist, and rejection notifications? Or does each kind of notification come out in its own 1-2 day block, with every kind of decision being accounted for within a 2 week span? Trying to understand schools' decision making process from the outside is kind of fun and keeps my mind busy -- its like a game of sudoku.

Based on your understanding, are people who have not received rejections from ND probably on the waitlist or accepted? I'm looking for confirmation to get my hopes up.

Each block has usually contained only its own kind of notice, with all notices delivered within a 2 week span. So, for example, Feb 26-27 might have been all acceptances, and then Mar 1-2 would be waitlists, and then Mar 6-7 would be rejections.

I have been completely thrown off by Notre Dame sending out rejections first, instead of last, this year -- that's why I didn't include them in my original notes. This is highly unusual; I'm not sure what it portends.

That said, there have pretty reliably, from what I can tell, been a few poor unfortunate souls who were rejected and not notified. Which just does wonders for my confidence, you know. (o: 

8 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Someone on the FB group got accepted to ND via call, so keep your phones on, people! :D

If I miss this wave I think I will probably figure I'm getting shut out for one reason or another and start thinking about another way to spend the next few years.

8 minutes ago, prtrbd said:

If I miss this wave I think I will probably figure I'm getting shut out for one reason or another and start thinking about another way to spend the next few years.

I think on March 10th I'm going to solicit any department I haven't heard from. And then, I don't know, go to China or something.