2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

5 minutes ago, Hekkue said:

Why you so that? 

Was NYU your first choice?

Yes, it was. Marko malink is my hero. But I simply don't see anyone turning down NYU. 

6 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Yes, it was. Marko malink is my hero. But I simply don't see anyone turning down NYU. 

I am new to this process  of assessing universities. 

It seems that Harvard, Cornell,  or Chicago are much more prestigious universities. 

They all seem much more impressive than NYU. 

Is it just the philosophy ranking that makes NYU more attractive? 

7 minutes ago, Hekkue said:

It seems that Harvard, Cornell,  or Chicago are much more prestigious universities. 

No. I don't care about prestige. As I said, I've been reading Malink's work very closely over the years, and he'd be an ideal supervisor for my interests in ancient logic. 

26 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

It’s happened before...

Edited by MishaPanda

4 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

Just got back from Rutgers and impulsively decided to send them an email soliciting my decision. 

I'm done waiting for this, I want to know for sure that I've been shut out of PhD's this season.

I solicited them yesterday and heard back today (rejection). Only 4 left! 

1 hour ago, yhkim said:

In at NYU. Wow. My AOI are political and moral philosophy. So:

Acceptance: UCLA, Harvard, NYU, UPenn

Rejection: Berkeley, Michigan, Princeton

Havent heard back: Arizona, Stanford, Rutgers

I guess this is the end of my application cycle as I will not consider the programs that I haven't heard back from, even if I get waitlisted.

I'm surprised by NYU acceptance as they seem to prefer people with JD or Oxford BPhils... But I'm just an in-progress MA student in Seoul.

The lesson seems to be that fit does matter. My sample is on identity in relational/interpersonal egalitarianism and I hope to work on relational equality further in grad school.

Congratulations! Where are you leaning towards? 

To anyone one was accepted to UCSD with an AOI in phil of mind/cognitive science, I'd love to hear if you're leaning towards accepting or declining.  (well, I'd love to hear one of those anyway).  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hekkue said:

Why take the "prestige" of a university with a recognizable name if their philosophy program is weaker? NYU has the best philosophy faculty in the world in a tremendous number of areas, and their program has one of the strongest placement records that you can find anywhere in the field. I know that one might not be inclined to care less about the first point if their particular AOI isn't one that's a major focus at NYU, but the department has an incredibly diverse set of interests, and if you're interested in something that NYU does focus on, there's a very strong chance that theirs would be the best program to attend. It really wouldn't make much sense to weaken your philosophical education just so that you could attend a more "brand-name" university.

1 hour ago, Hekkue said:

Sorry but for the sake of your own time and money, did you really apply to graduate programs in philosophy with that kind of understanding of programs? Uh.....

1 hour ago, Metanoia said:

Except if S is a married man who has a partner not keen on moving to NYC when his/her partner already has an offer from another prestigious university.  Jobs and moving expenses could speak, despite NYU having some of the best philosophers in the world. 

5 minutes ago, Prose said:

Sorry but for the sake of your own time and money, did you really apply to graduate programs in philosophy with that kind of understanding of programs? Uh.....

Dude relax. 

I asked so that I could learn about why NYU was so attractive! 

I am interested in Continental philosophy, so NYU was not a good fit for me. 

If you do not have something nice to say, just shut up!

Go to hell! 

10 minutes ago, Hekkue said:

Dude relax. 

I asked so that I could learn about why NYU was so attractive! 

I am interested in Continental philosophy, so NYU was not a good fit for me. 

If you do not have something nice to say, just shut up!

Go to hell! 

I wasn't trying to be rude, but since your feelings are hurt, I was just trying to point out that if you're going to commit to graduate study in philosophy of all things (I see you actually applied to programs this cycle, lmfao), you should probably know basic things like the "process of assessing universities." You may as well apply based on the strength of the school's football program. It's a little more complicated than undergraduate prestige rankings. Good luck buddy.

Edited by Prose

3 hours ago, LORDBACON said:

gods be praised, I have received a generous funded offer with TA stipend from University of South Florida.

I do not know, but I've solicited a response from them.  USF is pretty strong in medieval so maybe they liked my mystical rant in the SOP.  Thanks for making that connection for me; substantial interest in medieval is common to the depts who've responded positively to me so far. 

Congratulations on getting accepted to USF! I've had the pleasure of taking some of their cross-listed courses as an undergrad and found them to be very rewarding. If you do decide to go with USF, feel free to ask me if you have any general questions about the city/area.

1 hour ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Except if S is a married man who has a partner not keen on moving to NYC when his/her partner already has an offer from another prestigious university.  Jobs and moving expenses could speak, despite NYU having some of the best philosophers in the world. 

Also I hear the stipend + cost of living at NYU isn't the best, which may deter some people.

So besides that one UConn acceptance, has anybody heard anything from them as far as waitlists or other acceptances? They're the last school I'm waiting on. I just want to know my fate at this point, whatever it is.

1 hour ago, Vivec said:

Congratulations on getting accepted to USF! I've had the pleasure of taking some of their cross-listed courses as an undergrad and found them to be very rewarding. If you do decide to go with USF, feel free to ask me if you have any general questions about the city/area.

Thanks Vivec!  Was looking like a shutout but I'm glad I decided to dig extra deep to fund the process.  It sounds like a neat city, and the department is a great fit for me.  I love how much Heidegger and Nietzsche (and a lot else) they have going on.  What was your sense about metaphysics and epistemology from your experience in the department?  They seem fairly inclusive across the a/c divide from what I see so far.

4 hours ago, episode413 said:

Congratulations! Where are you leaning towards? 

Thanks!!! I personally don't find NYU more attractive than Harvard or UCLA.  I guess I should find out more about the faculty members and the atmosphere during the visit... In fact, my POIs in Harvard and NYU are mostly assistant professors, which is also complicating the decision... duh

For those accepted to chicagos MAPH, did you recieve an email from Hilary Strang basically regarding your interests/curiosity? Trying to figure out whether or not this email is actually personalized since it doesnt reference my sample lol

Hi friends! I hadn't heard of this site until roughly this morning, and I wish I'd come across it earlier. So, anyway, first post at this late stage, because I'm feeling a bit down and confused about my applications. So far, I've had rejections from UMichigan, Wisconsin-Madison, Notre Dame, and Yale; and I've been wait-listed at MIT, GSU (for the MA), and, as of this morning, NYU. Now, it's pretty nice to not have been rejected outright at MIT and NYU, since they're both very good departments - but by the same token, I know it's unlikely that I'll get off the wait-list and onto an admissions list. GSU seems like a great place and maybe more likely to accept me, but since I missed out on their more generous assistantships, I'll have to do some calculations to see if it would be plausible to attend. We'll see. I'm still waiting for word from Rutgers, UNC Chapel Hill, and Tufts, but I know it's not the likeliest thing in the world at this stage.

Anyway - sorry for the self-pitying post, I just wanted to spill a bit. It is of course onwards and upwards and I'm sure something will work out at some point!

18 minutes ago, Kantattheairport said:

Hi friends! I hadn't heard of this site until roughly this morning, and I wish I'd come across it earlier. So, anyway, first post at this late stage, because I'm feeling a bit down and confused about my applications. So far, I've had rejections from UMichigan, Wisconsin-Madison, Notre Dame, and Yale; and I've been wait-listed at MIT, GSU (for the MA), and, as of this morning, NYU. Now, it's pretty nice to not have been rejected outright at MIT and NYU, since they're both very good departments - but by the same token, I know it's unlikely that I'll get off the wait-list and onto an admissions list. GSU seems like a great place and maybe more likely to accept me, but since I missed out on their more generous assistantships, I'll have to do some calculations to see if it would be plausible to attend. We'll see. I'm still waiting for word from Rutgers, UNC Chapel Hill, and Tufts, but I know it's not the likeliest thing in the world at this stage.

Anyway - sorry for the self-pitying post, I just wanted to spill a bit. It is of course onwards and upwards and I'm sure something will work out at some point!

This process confuses me immensely. I don't understand how you can be rejected from Notre Dame and Wisconsin and waitlisted at GSU but also waitlisted at MIT and NYU. It's absurd.