Shellacked again...

15 minutes ago, katie64 said:

My plan is to tour local boarding stables while I am at whatever area I will be moving to looking for housing for myself/touring the school. Originally, I was going to lease him out and leave him here for a few months, but I was having serious anxieties over it so my mom (also big animal person) said I need to just arrange to take him with me at the time I go. I purposely only applied to schools in locations where the cost of living is fairly low, equating to the cost of having a horse being cheaper than say the Northeast. 

There are some beautiful places up here for boarding and riding. Oh, and the U has amazing facilities and a great equine health program.

24 minutes ago, unicornsarereal said:

I'm going crazy.

I can’t start this new semester. I thought I was lazy and depressed (which I probably am), but I think now it’s because I’m in limbo and don’t know what i want. It’s so easy to think that you don’t want it anymore while you’re anxiously waiting to hear back. 

2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

I can’t start this new semester. I thought I was lazy and depressed (which I probably am), but I think now it’s because I’m in limbo and don’t know what i want. It’s so easy to think that you don’t want it anymore while you’re anxiously waiting to hear back. 

ME!!! ^^^^^

I'd like some input from y'all English folk. If I were to write a super sarcastic "survival guide" book, which title would you use:

Southern Girl in the North Country -or-

Southern Spice and Minnesota Nice?

6 minutes ago, khigh said:

I'd like some input from y'all English folk. If I were to write a super sarcastic "survival guide" book, which title would you use:

Southern Girl in the North Country -or-

Southern Spice and Minnesota Nice?

I think the first one makes more sense a priori, but the second one is hilarious. 

4 minutes ago, turtleducks said:

Have your cake and eat it too! Southern Spice and Minnesota Nice: A Southern Girl in the North Country.

Yes!

Anyone here care to help me with my paper proposal by telling me how much info (conference details, my bio) I'm supposed to include? And if the format should be MLA Chicago xyz? I know it's unrelated to being 'shellackled' (my mind still says that), but why not.

27 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

And if the format should be MLA Chicago xyz? ... I know it's unrelated to being 'shellackled' (my mind still says that), but why not.

Citation-fixation shellacked! 

Also, this probably won’t do wonders for my English career but: Chicago > MLA

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Citation-fixation shellacked! 

Right now it's Chicago => MLA => I don't fucking know!!

4 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

@Yanaka, we should totally co-write/edit a new style guide titled “I Don’t Fucking Know.” We’d be rich. 

You in? 

Yes. The font has to be Comic Sans MS, and the entire idea is to follow postmodernism bordering on nihilism

4 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

What's the paper proposal for? 

A conference at UVA. "Constructing Experience: Narrative Innovations Across Time and Media"

They say to include a short bio, but I don't know if it should be in the body with my topic? Should it be in the 3rd person? Should I include time/date/etc. of the conference? Is it MLA style, or no? There are so many different templates online.

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Yanaka you are deeeeevious. Love it! 

you can't even begin to imagine! I'm going totally off the rails. I'm being shelackelled by my own dreams and interpretations of what being in a Ph.D program offers. I'm already planning on the house, horse, and child I want to buy.

9 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

A conference at UVA. "Constructing Experience: Narrative Innovations Across Time and Media"

They say to include a short bio, but I don't know if it should be in the body with my topic? Should it be in the 3rd person? Should I include time/date/etc. of the conference? Is it MLA style, or no? There are so many different templates online.

My 2Cs: No need to include anything about the conference in your proposal. You can do MLA style if you'd like, but it doesn't necessarily matter for conference proposals because you typically don't have to cite anything. Rather, pick a font/size that's readable (probably TNR). Your bio should probably be separate. For instances of bios, I normally include "mk-8 is an MA student here. she researches x and y, and plans to pursue a PhD" or something similar. If you'd like, you can send me a PM and I can shoot you and email of how I've formatted conference proposals before. 

I looked up the conference, and it looks like you need to email the proposal (rather than a form or something, ugh, forms are so much easier), so what I typically do for that is include the info in the body of the email and an attachment. Hope this helps!

Edited by mk-8

4 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

you can't even begin to imagine! I'm going totally off the rails. I'm being shelackelled by my own dreams and interpretations of what being in a Ph.D program offers. I'm already planning on the house, horse, and child I want to buy.

You got this, girl!!! I have faith!!!

14 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

My 2Cs: No need to include anything about the conference in your proposal. You can do MLA style if you'd like, but it doesn't necessarily matter for conference proposals because you typically don't have to cite anything. Rather, pick a font/size that's readable (probably TNR). Your bio should probably be separate. For instances of bios, I normally include "mk-8 is an MA student here. she researches x and y, and plans to pursue a PhD" or something similar. If you'd like, you can send me a PM and I can shoot you and email of how I've formatted conference proposals before. 

I looked up the conference, and it looks like you need to email the proposal (rather than a form or something, ugh, forms are so much easier), so what I typically do for that is include the info in the body of the email and an attachment. Hope this helps!

YES! Extremely helpful. So the bio in the body of the email, and the proposal as a document without the bio?

Thank you so much!!

54 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

It will, actually, if you choose the right field within English.

(MEDI-ÆVAL 4 LYFE)

12 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

YES! Extremely helpful. So the bio in the body of the email, and the proposal as a document without the bio?

Thank you so much!!

Yeah, that should probably be okay. You could include the bio in the document too, but keep it separate from the proposal. They weren't very clear and it's a grad conference, so it should be okay.

4 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Yeah, that should probably be okay. You could include the bio in the document too, but keep it separate from the proposal. They weren't very clear and it's a grad conference, so it should be okay.

Thanks! Ah, Grad café. There's always awesome people to take the time to help out!