Shellacked again...

Phone call from unknown number - area code is Delaware. 

I don't pick up. No voicemail is left. Minutes pass. The sun moves across the sky. I wonder who called and for what purpose.

Out of sheer boredom, I Google the number - it's the UDel English DGS number. I Google it again - new tab. Same results.

I check my voicemail. Nothing. I check my email. Nothing. 

Did they accidentally call the wrong number? And realize when they heard my voicemail message?

Did they intend to call me but, upon hearing my voicemail message, think ... "oh. no thanks."

... Do ... do I call back? 

*dials Delaware*

"Hey ... it's me."

Edited by a_sort_of_fractious_angel

3 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

I don't pick up. No voicemail is left. Minutes pass. The sun moves across the sky. I wonder who called and for what purpose.

Out of sheer boredom, I Google the number - it's the UDel English DGS number. I Google it again - new tab. Same results.

Did they accidentally call the wrong number? And realize when they heard my voicemail message?

Did they mean to call but, upon hearing my voicemail message, think ... "oh. no thanks."

*dials Delaware*

"Hey ... it's me."

They will probably email you, they just emailed husband saying his phone wasn't working (it was dead) and asking to call him.

3 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

Did they mean to call but, upon hearing my voicemail message, think ... "oh. no thanks."

*dials Delaware*

"Hey ... it's me."

Of course you should call back! Let us know!!

20 minutes ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

*dials Delaware*

"Hey ... it's me."

I believe the standard expression is

“... you rang?”

Also, Cong!

(you’ll get the rest when you update us in the Acceptances thread!!!) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2018 at 10:30 AM, LexHex said:

I get so many calls from strange numbers trying to sell me insurance or retirement plans or cruises or possibly steal my kidneys :( and I have to answer them all

So much of this. Last night I got a call with a Chicago area code and I knew I had already been rejected from Chicago so fuck that number.

Also when calls were going out from one of the programs, I got a call and got so excited then it was my dentists. I was also waiting for word that my car repairs were finished, so double shellacked. One non important phone call when I was waiting on two.

A few weeks ago Georgia State sent me an invite to a preview event...for "people interested in applying to their graduate program next year".... 

Today they sent another one. The first time I thought this is an auto-invite for anyone in their directory. Now I'm starting to think they're sending me a message....

11 hours ago, renea said:

A few weeks ago Georgia State sent me an invite to a preview event...for "people interested in applying to their graduate program next year".... 

Today they sent another one. The first time I thought this is an auto-invite for anyone in their directory. Now I'm starting to think they're sending me a message....

A program did the same thing to me, and after a few of those messages I almost deleted the admissions email because I thought it was more spam for the winter open house for "future applicants." I almost shellacked myself! 

• 10 months later...

Reviving this because I just got an email from Chicago saying they received my application (over a month after I submitted it and 2 weeks after the deadline). Anyone else? OR DOES THIS MEAN SOMETHING?!

I'm a staff member at a university, and we just got back from break yesterday...I am going out on a limb to say that it may have just been sent when the department staff got back into office because universities tend to close over the winter break. 

22 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Anyone else? OR DOES THIS MEAN SOMETHING?!

Posted about this in 2019 Applicants before reading this thread, lmao! I got it too and it totally made my heart stop.

37 minutes ago, sugilite said:

I'm a staff member at a university, and we just got back from break yesterday...I am going out on a limb to say that it may have just been sent when the department staff got back into office because universities tend to close over the winter break. 

That was my thinking. They sent the same email last year on January 4th, so I would expect acceptances in about 3 weeks and rejections in just over 4.

15 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

I would expect acceptances in about 3 weeks and rejections in just over 4.

Even though they say mid-Feb in the email? I sure hope it’s 3-4 weeks and not 6-7.

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Even though they say mid-Feb in the email? I sure hope it’s 3-4 weeks and not 6-7.

Are we talking about Chicago? If so, I think there are a lot of implied rejections because they send out interview slots for their top candidates. In recent years, no interviews mean no PHD slot. Formal rejections happen 2-3 weeks after the interview requests.

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

If so, I think there are a lot of implied rejections because they send out interview slots for their top candidates. In recent years, no interviews mean no PHD slot.

Ah, I see! That makes sense for sure, I didn’t know that about Chicago.