Shellacked again...

Thought you all might appreciate that I've been going crazy thinking every notification and email is from a school. Well, literally 5 minutes before an interview I decided to randomly check my phone and I actually did have an acceptance! I had to stop reading because there was no way I'd make it through my interview after having read such awesome news. :D 

8 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Thought you all might appreciate that I've been going crazy thinking every notification and email is from a school. Well, literally 5 minutes before an interview I decided to randomly check my phone and I actually did have an acceptance! I had to stop reading because there was no way I'd make it through my interview after having read such awesome news. :D 

Anti-Shellacked!

And congrats!!!!! :D

19 minutes ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

Fantastic!! Weren't you here for last season as well? Congrats on getting into a program! They tricked you into being distracted from your interview!!

54 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Thanks! Ah, Grad café. There's always awesome people to take the time to help out!

Of course! We’re all in this together, and I’m happy to help. I was clueless when I started applyingto conferences and one of the phd students here really helped me out. :D

4 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

Of course! We’re all in this together, and I’m happy to help. I was clueless when I started applyingto conferences and one of the phd students here really helped me out. :D

Yes, I got help from a few other candidates here who were absolutely awesome and kept me grounded and encouraged me at the same time. They all got into programs, and the last one on the list did this year as well. I'm so happy!

Southern Spice and Minnesota Nice: A Southern Girl in the North Country

"If y'all ever ask me if you should move here, I say don't.  It's not that I don't love the North, I really do. It's just that I moved up here to get away from y'all. For those that just need to come to the land of ice and snow, have I got a survival guide for you. So, put down your Coke (no really, it's pop here) and learn y'allselves something."

You know, this could really work. I'm already cracking myself up and I love the combination of titles that y'all suggested. 

1 hour ago, khigh said:

"If y'all ever ask me if you should move here, I say don't.  It's not that I don't love the North, I really do. It's just that I moved up here to get away from y'all. For those that just need to come to the land of ice and snow, have I got a survival guide for you. So, put down your Coke (no really, it's pop here) and learn y'allselves something."

You know, this could really work. I'm already cracking myself up and I love the combination of titles that y'all suggested. 

Winter is coming for you. Maybe next year. Be prepared!

6 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Man, I wish I had the Southern cred to use “y’all” liberally in everyday speech and writing. The only “Ohio” thing one can do is abuse one’s vaaawels. But that’s not cute. 

Why are y’all quoting me when y’all are actually talking ‘bout someone else?! 

:lol:

i could have the credit to use y’all, but I can’t achieve the accent (yet). I’m working on it.

I’m from a region called Texoma. I have a very Texan accent if I drink enough, but I’m starting to mix the Texas and Minnesota idioms and accents. “Did y’all see dat? Fer cute!”

10 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

i could have the credit to use y’all, but I can’t achieve the accent (yet). I’m working on it.

Maybe because you're applying for a French PhD, Yanaka, I just pictured a French person trying to pronounce "y'all" with a Southern twang.*

It went about as well as my trying to pronounce mille-feuille correctly in Paris. Which is to say, not very well. 

*no idea whether you have a French accent -- my brain just made the random association

I just got a spam email message titled "Yahoo msn award email"

"This is to inform you that you have won prize money of Eight Hundred and Twenty Thousand United State Dollars, ($820, 000.00) on our ongoing Monthly 2018 prize promotion, which was organized by YAHOO & OUTLOOK WINDOWS LIVE AND MICROSOFT AWARDS."

Grr lol... <_<

7 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Maybe because you're applying for a French PhD, Yanaka, I just pictured a French person trying to pronounce "y'all" with a Southern twang.*

It went about as well as my trying to pronounce mille-feuille correctly in Paris. Which is to say, not very well. 

*no idea whether you have a French accent -- my brain just made the random association

I do have a mild French accent, but I was born and raised in Virginia until I was 5... I just gotta work that twaaaang

3 hours ago, Yanaka said:

I do have a mild French accent, but I was born and raised in Virginia until I was 5...

Well in that case, you merely have to reawaken your inner Southerner! You should be listening only to country music, and if you ever hear the name "Sherman," you must scowl somethin' fierce!

3 hours ago, Yanaka said:

I just gotta work that twaaaang

I CAN ALMOST HEAR IT NOW

9 hours ago, villanelle said:

Eight Hundred and Twenty Thousand United State Dollars, ($820, 000.00)

Hey, that's not an insignificant amount of money. I'd take them up on that, if I were you! Of course, as long as you're not expected to transfer it to any Nigerian princes... 

11 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

How about some French filmmaker doing a version of "Gone With The Wind."  French dialogue with a Southern accent, hmm, maybe not. 

3 hours ago, ltr317 said:

How about some French filmmaker doing a version of "Gone With The Wind."  French dialogue with a Southern accent, hmm, maybe not. 

Haha now I need footage of some robot-sounding Goddard directing his adaptation of that

16 hours ago, khigh said:

This is the most fan-freaking-tastic thing

Counter-shellackleleled! I received an email from the graduate conference of UMD, and after reading the happy first lines “We are happy to inform you...” I thought it was just another hope-lifting apology. But I was wrong!! My proposal for that conference was accepted!!! Aaaaaaa!!! Oh my goodness what the hell is a conference!!!! Hahahaha

16 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

My proposal for that conference was accepted!!! Aaaaaaa!!! Oh my goodness what the hell is a conference!!!! Hahahaha

Fuck ya, Yanaks! Get it, girl! 

“Conferences,” in my experience, were when my parents and teachers yelled at me for using “inappropriate” language at school. So I guess you can’t swear at them? Idk. 

Edited by FreakyFoucault

6 hours ago, jpbends said:

Congratulations!!!

Thank you! I’m so excited.

6 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Fuck ya, Yanaks! Get it, girl! 

“Conferences,” in my experience, were when my parents and teachers yelled at me for using “inappropriate” language at school. So I guess you can’t swear at them? Idk. 

Yes that should be about it? I’ll try not to insult anyone—which I might do!

6 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Also, this would’ve gotten an extra “like” if Grad Café were forward-thinking enough to add such a feature. 

Thank you for wishing you could like my message. 

:lol: