Shellacked again...

3 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

My Fiat probably beats the Cobalt by a pound or less. :D

Oh yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. When I studied abroad, I saw Fiats all over the place in Italy. Those things can barely handle a stiff breeze. But they're bright and fun, unlike my Cobalt. 

38 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. When I studied abroad, I saw Fiats all over the place in Italy. Those things can barely handle a stiff breeze. But they're bright and fun, unlike my Cobalt. 

They are bright and fun to drive.  Both my previous and current 500s are like that, except the current one is more so, being an Abarth.  They are both in arrest me red, so I stay a fair distance behind the speed lunatics. 

20 hours ago, midwest-ford said:

As a lifelong Wisconsinite, I really feel like half the battle with the cold is having the right clothes. If you have a good pair of snowboots (I have two pairs, one for serious snow and another just to keep warm when it's snowy but not crazy bad), a parka with a hood (you can find some that are "rated" for the cold, so like I have a parka that's rated to work well in -5 to -35F weather), a hat, and a few pairs of gloves, it makes all the difference. 

I can't speak to Minneapolis in particular, but I'd also add that your experience with Midwestern winters might also depend a bit on if you have a car. On one hand, having a car in winter is stressful (digging it out, making sure it doesn't die, driving safely in gross weather), but on the other hand, there are certainly times when it's much easier to deal with the cold when you can hop in your car and go instead of waiting outside for public transit. 

I do know some people who have moved to the Midwest and absolutely couldn't take the cold, but I know more who like it! Also consider: fall. The best and most beautiful fall season of your life will be in the Midwest! 

This is great info! Thank you!!

At the moment, the idea of waiting for the bus or light rail is much more appealing to me than driving on snow and ice after digging my car out of the snow and moving it for snow plows. I'm seriously considering selling my car and putting the money towards a whole new warm, woolly wardrobe. My husband and I can share his car for grocery store trips, and lets be real, the only place I'll be going 99% of the time is campus.

10 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

I just had a dream that I got accepted into the one I'm pretty sure I'll be rejected from, but they gave my application a "B" for some reason. Needless to say, I didn't even wake up to an email. Ah well, I can still daydream about grad school. 

I think grading apps reflects the level of stress that we all go through pretty well. Not only do you worry about acceptance v. rejections, you worry about what might come with the acceptance. Are you going to get a good funding package? We'll call that an A+. Less funding? A.

Obviously that's not how it works (being about fitness and all), but that sure is how it feels.

10 hours ago, senorbrightside said:

I just had a dream that I got accepted into the one I'm pretty sure I'll be rejected from, but they gave my application a "B" for some reason. Needless to say, I didn't even wake up to an email. Ah well, I can still daydream about grad school. 

So jealous of everyone's acceptance dreams! I had yet another dream that I was attending school but perpetually unable to get to class. Except, this time, all my grad classes took place in a place that looked suspiciously like my middle school. :blink:

Loved the info from Minnesota folks. I'm from California, so of course winter is just a scary myth to me, but from your comments, it sounds like a really nice place to live. My only experience with genuine cold is a semester abroad. But I kind of liked it once I had the right clothes!

6 minutes ago, turtleducks said:

Loved the info from Minnesota folks. I'm from California, so of course winter is just a scary myth to me, but from your comments, it sounds like a really nice place to live.

It really is, and the U of M is a lovely school with a great department. I’m a Minnesotan who only left the state at 28 for a brief sojourn in Ohio before moving out to California, and while there is certainly a lot to love about living in Berkeley, there are a ton of things from Minnesota (including winter!) that I still miss.

8 minutes ago, unræd said:

It really is, and the U of M is a lovely school with a great department. I’m a Minnesotan who only left the state at 28 for a brief sojourn in Ohio before moving out to California, and while there is certainly a lot to love about living in Berkeley, there are a ton of things from Minnesota (including winter!) that I still miss.

Then you would be happy to know I made tatertot hotdish for dinner tonight and bars for dessert. :D

4 minutes ago, khigh said:

Then you would be happy to know I made tatertot hotdish for dinner tonight and bars for dessert. :D

Oh man oh man — people out here don’t even know what hotdish is, much less do they understand it. I constantly go around feeling a certain benevolent pity tinged with sadness.

19 minutes ago, unræd said:

I just also want to add how lovely all the positive Minnesota comments are! ? I’m excited to have such a great option! 

1 hour ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Self-shellack: losing my mind because an Indiana number popped up on my phone, before remembering I didn't even apply to Purdue.

I think this is my favorite one so far 

On 1/28/2018 at 3:29 PM, katie64 said:

The only place I've ever lived besides Texas is San Diego, so I feel you there. I definitely prefer real seasons and just cannotttt with the extreme heat anymore. Even my horse is extremely sensitive to the heat, so I feel like it's much needed for both of us to move somewhere cooler hahaha. 

Tell me more about the horse. Do you think you wil easily find another place to keep him/her once you move?

And now I wish I had applied to U of M as well!

Edited by Yanaka

18 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Self-shellack: losing my mind because an Indiana number popped up on my phone, before remembering I didn't even apply to Purdue.

Any unknown number that starts with my area code: *decline call*

Any unknown number that starts with a a different area code: *heart rate increases*

50 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Tell me more about the horse. Do you think you wil easily find another place to keep him/her once you move?

My plan is to tour local boarding stables while I am at whatever area I will be moving to looking for housing for myself/touring the school. Originally, I was going to lease him out and leave him here for a few months, but I was having serious anxieties over it so my mom (also big animal person) said I need to just arrange to take him with me at the time I go. I purposely only applied to schools in locations where the cost of living is fairly low, equating to the cost of having a horse being cheaper than say the Northeast. 

6 minutes ago, katie64 said:

My plan is to tour local boarding stables while I am at whatever area I will be moving to looking for housing for myself/touring the school. Originally, I was going to lease him out and leave him here for a few months, but I was having serious anxieties over it so my mom (also big animal person) said I need to just arrange to take him with me at the time I go. I purposely only applied to schools in locations where the cost of living is fairly low, equating to the cost of having a horse being cheaper than say the Northeast. 

Interesting. I’m at the point where in my mind getting into a program = life starts and I’m an adult so it also means = getting a horse again?! (Mine died in 2007) Of course that’s not how it works so I’m vicariously living through others’ experiences. I was looking into boarding stables, and for instance my horse lived with a herd on fields and the stable was  owners-only. Pretty cheap also since it was in the country. Is that something you think exists here? Maybe we should pm haha.

3 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Interesting. I’m at the point where in my mind getting into a program = life starts and I’m an adult so it also means = getting a horse again?! (Mine died in 2007) Of course that’s not how it works so I’m vicariously living through others’ experiences. I was looking into boarding stables, and for instance my horse lived with a herd on fields and the stable was  owners-only. Pretty cheap also since it was in the country. Is that something you think exists here? Maybe we should pm haha.

Yes, please PM me! :D