Shellacked again...

12 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Oh man, gonna need more info with a teaser like that!! Do you mean to say that you just got an interview request, then? What subfield? 

Nope, not an interview request – it's just what looks like an email that was sent to all applicants (my partner applied as well and he also received it). It's a request to fill out a Doodle Poll for interview availability, saying that they'll be sending out interview requests on the evening of the 21st – but it says that not all applicants who this email was sent to will be receiving those requests. That suggests to me that this was sent to everyone and that they'll decide who they actually want to interview in the next week.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

4 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Nope, not an interview request – it's just what looks like an email that was sent to all applicants (my partner applied as well and he also received it). It's a request to fill out a Doodle Poll for interview availability, saying that they'll be sending out interview requests on the evening of the 21st – but it says that not all applicants will be receiving those requests.

Good luck! I didn't receive the email, so this might be the end of the road for Chicago and me. ?

1 minute ago, Wimsey said:

Good luck! I didn't receive the email, so this might be the end of the road for Chicago and me. ?

Hm – I wouldn't count yourself out yet! My partner and I are both living abroad, so it may well be that this was only sent to non-US applicants. I did notice that the times on the Doodle Poll were very generous to our time zone – I was expecting them to be in the middle of the night our time.

3 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Nope, not an interview request – it's just what looks like an email that was sent to all applicants (my partner applied as well and he also received it). It's a request to fill out a Doodle Poll for interview availability, saying that they'll be sending out interview requests on the evening of the 21st – but it says that not all applicants will be receiving those requests.

Gotcha! Well, fingers crossed that you and your partner gets requests!!

FWIW, I also did not receive the Doodle poll. I kind of recall seeing a post that last year Chicago sent requests to some subfields and not others--I think it was medievalists had a round of interviews and not other applicants? Combined with the US/international aspect, I'm trying not to read too much into it for my own chances... but it's pretty tough, haha. 

10 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Nope, not an interview request – it's just what looks like an email that was sent to all applicants (my partner applied as well and he also received it). It's a request to fill out a Doodle Poll for interview availability, saying that they'll be sending out interview requests on the evening of the 21st – but it says that not all applicants who this email was sent to will be receiving those requests. That suggests to me that this was sent to everyone and that they'll decide who they actually want to interview in the next week.

This Doodle Poll is usually only sent to finalists or has been in the past. Usually Chicago sends out the poll to X number, interviews Y number, and offers acceptances to Z number.

11 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

This Doodle Poll is usually only sent to finalists or has been in the past. Usually Chicago sends out the poll to X number, interviews Y number, and offers acceptances to Z number.

Oh boy! That's exciting, if true – I applied to Chicago on a whim, thinking they would toss my application aside at first glance with a chuckle.

12 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Gotcha! Well, fingers crossed that you and your partner gets requests!!

FWIW, I also did not receive the Doodle poll. I kind of recall seeing a post that last year Chicago sent requests to some subfields and not others--I think it was medievalists had a round of interviews and not other applicants? Combined with the US/international aspect, I'm trying not to read too much into it for my own chances... but it's pretty tough, haha. 

I'm a Romanticist and my partner does C20/21 fiction.

25 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Hm – I wouldn't count yourself out yet! My partner and I are both living abroad, so it may well be that this was only sent to non-US applicants. I did notice that the times on the Doodle Poll were very generous to our time zone – I was expecting them to be in the middle of the night our time.

Ok, maybe they're giving non-US applicants some extra time, since arranging an interview with the time zone difference could be more challenging. We shall see!

46 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

International here. Did not receive that email either (although I am pretty much on a similar time zone with the US). It probably is a shortlist! And if so, congrats!

I didn't receive a Doodle Poll request from UChicago either -- international applicant here, too!

Checked the application portal and it says 'submitted' but not 'rejected' yet. Might still cry myself to sleep tonight.

Edited by QuietLine

5 minutes ago, QuietLine said:

I didn't receive a Doodle Poll request from UChicago either -- international applicant here, too!

Just wondering who your POIs may be, since I realised we’ve several subfields in common (and I didn’t receive a doodle poll email either). 

Hm! All very intriguing. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about being on a possible long list, and although I think I'd be feeling the exact same way as some of you if I hadn't received the email yet, I also think it's too soon for anyone to go crying themselves to sleep! I've been digging through last year's thread and it looks like Chicago might send out interview requests in multiple waves, in which case it may just be that you haven't received your emails yet. Let us know – you might get an email tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Hm! All very intriguing. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about being on a possible long list, and although I think I'd be feeling the exact same way as some of you if I hadn't received the email yet, I also think it's too soon for anyone to go crying themselves to sleep! I've been digging through last year's thread and it looks like Chicago might send out interview requests in multiple waves, in which case it may just be that you haven't received your emails yet. Let us know – you might get an email tomorrow!

Good luck to you though! Rooting for you :)

So this is my thinking. It is a little early for the Doodle poll -- in previous years it usually went out next week. Since the only people who've seemed to receive it seemed to be international (based in the UK? or maybe international more broadly), I wonder if, in order to better accommodate more people without logistical mayhem, they broke up the shortlist into US/international and notified the latter first. Because those would otherwise be a bit more difficult to arrange—an international applicant will by definition have a narrower window of availability than one closer to Chicago ... ? This theory shatters if anyone from the US got the invite to the doodle poll but seems pretty plausible to me. Don't despair!

Aw man when I applied to Chicago, it was my biggest ‘this probably won’t happen but would be amazing if it did’ school and I thought I was fully prepared to get a rejection, but now not getting an interview email stings so hard... 

But anyway, congrats and good luck to everyone that (it seems) made it onto the long list! 

18 hours ago, sleepless_nights said:

So this is my thinking. It is a little early for the Doodle poll -- in previous years it usually went out next week. Since the only people who've seemed to receive it seemed to be international (based in the UK? or maybe international more broadly), I wonder if, in order to better accommodate more people without logistical mayhem, they broke up the shortlist into US/international and notified the latter first. Because those would otherwise be a bit more difficult to arrange—an international applicant will by definition have a narrower window of availability than one closer to Chicago ... ? This theory shatters if anyone from the US got the invite to the doodle poll but seems pretty plausible to me. Don't despair!

Hmmmm. From last year's responses on the results page, it seemed like people received the doodle poll request around the 17th (which was a Thursday, and this year it was received on Thursday 16th) Then actual interviews were done around the 25th.  And they notified acceptances first week of February. This year seems in line with last year's timeline to me. 

I'm applying to Chicago in Romance languages/Spanish literature so slightly different for me...but still getting shellacked all the same!

Just got an email from UChicago Division of the Humanities: "Explore our academic culture".

Umm, I wouldn't have applied if I hadn't already done that! :) Good luck to everyone! 

I have applied to Penn State. I received a letter from them in the mail this week. I was so nervous when I saw the address and I read it with shaking fingers. Turns out, it was their undergraduate admissions office sending me a promotional brochure, encouraging me to apply for a bachelors degree at the university. Ughhhhhhh!