Fall 2018 Psychology Waislist

georginazhou

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from the University of Virginia for Clinical Psychology? Or Texas Christian University for Experimental Psychology? Trying to be patient and keep my head up but I haven't heard from anywhere. These are my top choices. Just curious if anyone else was in the same boat as me?

18 hours ago, Sherrinford said:

I got waitlisted at the place I ended up going. I waited close right to the end, even gave up and found a job because I figured I hadn't gotten in anywhere lol. 

It definitely happens, so there's still a chance.

That is very encouraging!! Good to know there is hope!

20 hours ago, BrandiLouu said:

Has anyone heard from the University of Virginia for Clinical Psychology? Or Texas Christian University for Experimental Psychology? Trying to be patient and keep my head up but I haven't heard from anywhere. These are my top choices. Just curious if anyone else was in the same boat as me?

Trying checking the Grad Cafe results page!

I haven't gotten waitlisted anywhere, but haven't heard back from 5/6 programs. It's torture waiting, I feel you. Sending my good vibes to all of you!

On 2/20/2018 at 4:51 PM, Sherrinford said:

I got waitlisted at the place I ended up going. I waited close right to the end, even gave up and found a job because I figured I hadn't gotten in anywhere lol. 

Mind sharing how close your notification was to Apr. 15th? Wondering if there is hope if I will hear in March or if I do have to wait till the bitter end to hear back. ha. Thank you!

I'm currently on the #1 on my POI's waitlist for my top program (found out early Feb). It doesn't look like any of the other programs I applied to will have favorable outcomes at this time. I am hoping to hear back one way or another soon because I'd like to start planning for my future (i.e., find another job or get ready to move). 

17 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Mind sharing how close your notification was to Apr. 15th? Wondering if there is hope if I will hear in March or if I do have to wait till the bitter end to hear back. ha. Thank you!

My friend who got in last year found out on March 30th, though, from what I've heard most waitlists start moving mid-March. I hope that you find out soon!

On 1/23/2018 at 3:38 AM, georginazhou said:

I've been waitlisted at my top choice program.

Best of luck to all of us in the same situation. 

Good luck to you too!

Edited by PsySul

I got wait-listed on January 15th, 2018 for my top choice Clinical Psychology program and was accepted last Friday (Februrary 21st, 2018). For all those who are also wait-listed, there is no "normal" time to hear. To be wait-listed means that you are a POI`s second choice and that they have already sent an offer of acceptance to someone else. Basically, if that other student declines the offer (which does happen semi-frequently), then the POI will send you an offer of acceptance. Unfortunately, every student typically has until April as a deadline to respond to the offer. So if you are wait-listed, when you will hear an official answer will be completely dependent upon when the 1st-choice student responds to their offer. 

Sometimes an accepted student will wait all the way up until April 15th to decline or accept because they are waiting until they hear from other schools themselves. This means that there is definitely hope for those who are wait-listed up until the very end! Don't lose hope! :)

16 minutes ago, PsySul said:

I'm currently on the #1 on my POI's waitlist for my top program (found out early Feb). It doesn't look like any of the other programs I applied to will have favorable outcomes at this time. I am hoping to hear back one way or another soon because I'd like to start planning for my future (i.e., find another job or get ready to move). 

My friend who got in last year found out on March 30th, though, from what I've heard most waitlists start moving mid-March. I hope that you find out soon!

Thanks for the heads up! Waiting another month will be painful, but better than the alternative of an outright "no." I also do not have favorable outcomes at my other programs so this waitlist is my only prayer. Hate being in limbo. Like you - I'd also want to find another job if this doesn't work out. Good luck to us! 

5 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

4 days. Also note that like a month after my interview sometime in March, I sent an email to my PI politely inquiring on whether there were any updates to my application. 

They said I was on the waitlist, but that it was a short list and encouraged me to wait. 

You have to realize that at least dozens of people wait until the last possible day before making a decision. People have different opinions on this...but usually it's because someone is waiting to hear from their top choice and so don't want to turn down one of their acceptances. This creates a mass domino effect and what you get is a lot of spots that are "filled" until the last few weeks of the application deadline. That is why if you're on the waitlist and your application is still open, there is still a chance you may get in. 

I'm not specifically trying to encourage optimism, but just point out that anything can happen up to the "bitter end." 

Edited by Sherrinford

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 3:39 PM, cochra13 said:

I got wait-listed on January 15th, 2018 for my top choice Clinical Psychology program and was accepted last Friday (Februrary 21st, 2018). For all those who are also wait-listed, there is no "normal" time to hear. To be wait-listed means that you are a POI`s second choice and that they have already sent an offer of acceptance to someone else. Basically, if that other student declines the offer (which does happen semi-frequently), then the POI will send you an offer of acceptance. Unfortunately, every student typically has until April as a deadline to respond to the offer. So if you are wait-listed, when you will hear an official answer will be completely dependent upon when the 1st-choice student responds to their offer. 

Sometimes an accepted student will wait all the way up until April 15th to decline or accept because they are waiting until they hear from other schools themselves. This means that there is definitely hope for those who are wait-listed up until the very end! Don't lose hope! :)

Your post helped put me at ease. Thanks for sharing! Best of luck with your future endeavors! 

On 2/20/2018 at 4:51 PM, Sherrinford said:

Thanks for sharing!! Were you pre-interview waitlisted or post-interview waitlisted?