Hello, I'm newly registered to GradCafe (although I've read forum posts) and i was wondering if I could get some help with looking for work experience prior to grad school.

I live in NYC and am currently in my 3rd to last semester of second BA grad studies (Queens College for reference) and am very worried that my resume (CV?) will not be strong when applying. I have not taken my GRE yet which I plan to do so come this summer. I hold a 3.6 GPA from my bachelor's in psychology degree (Hunter College) and currently have a 4.0 in my CSD pre requisite courses.

I've had some volunteer experience in the past and am now shadowing 2 SLPs (not fieldwork or observation hours) in a public elementary school. However I am now seeking possible positions more closely related to the CSD/SLP field in order to gain valuable experience and, as I have been told,  jobs will hold more weight than volunteer/shadowing experience. I recently got let go from my retail job (which was absolutely justified and might i say, quite embarrassing as well) so I am worried that HR from the retail will intervene with me applying to other jobs.

That said, would there be any suggestions as to where to apply? I've searched for, child program assistant, medical receptionist, PT office receptionist, PT aide, and tutoring jobs. I have also emailed a bunch of clinics to inquire as to whether there may be openings (even if receptionist or clerical). I've had very little luck however, some responses here and there but no interviews or calls.

I've read a little about ABA therapy and teacher's assistant/paraprofessional possibilities but am wondering what the procedure is like to get certification in either. I read about TA regulations here at http://schools.nyc.gov/Offices/DHR/TeacherPrincipalSchoolProfessionals/Certification/Teaching+Assistant+Paraprofessional+Certification.htm but am  still a little confused as to what the procedure is like and what is required. I am also wondering if this REQUIRES working Mon-Fri every morning as my classes are usually held in the morning.

My sincerest apologies for the wall of text but I am very worried now and would like advice or suggestions as to what steps to take right now. If there are any clarifications or questions for me to help be more clear, do please let me know. Thank you!

Edited by Aspire_to_Be

I currently work as a tutor for ComDis/Spanish classes for my college and as a literacy tutor at a grade school in an after school program. During the summers I usually work for the city at a day camp for children K-6th grade. I recently got accepted to a program, which maybe wasn't for my work experience, but I definitely think finding a position working with relevant populations can't hurt!

As a Psych major ABA therapy would probably be a great fit for you! I'm not sure about licensing but I would definitely continue to look into it. :) I would also suggest nanny positions, which would also most likely be able to work around your schedule.

Hope you find something that suits you!

I currently work as a paid research assistant, working with participants who have TBI and/or PTSD. It's really been great working in an academic environment, and being able to work directly with study participants who have TBI (a population I'm very interested in). I would strongly recommend looking into research labs! 

For the literacy tutor and day camp positions, did you happen to run into those on a website or it's something you inquired at a local school? I am having major difficulties looking for an after school program via Indeed/Google. I would imagine I can't simply go up to any public school and ask if there are tutoring or after school programs available... although I am actually going to try that when I go into the school I shadow at next time. Do let me know, thank you for your response!

@snoves

----------------------------

I searched extensively on Indeed and Google for "lab assistant", "research assistant", "lab/research aide" positions but cannot find anything at all. Is there a website I may use to help me with that or should I send a personal email to universities and organizations inquiring about that? I recently took A&P for Speech/Language and something related to TBI would actually be fascinating! (Much thanks for your reply)

@hmbanana93

I think that a position as a Behavior Technician or Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) could be a great fit. I'm a BCBA who provides co-treatment with an SLP in an ABA agency, and we take on as many qualified SLP students as we can hire--we think training future SLPs in the fundamentals of ABA benefits both our fields and the kiddos we serve! To get credentialed as an RBT, you'll (a) complete a 40-hour training (typically paid for after you're hired, typically completed on-line), (b) take a competency assessment with your BCBA supervisor, and (c) take an exam that your training should adequately prepare you for. Not all insurance companies require credentialing, so some agencies have lower-key training. Because RBTs are often college students with odd college schedules, ABA agencies tend to have flexible scheduling.

Edited by birdy-bear

There's always a need for substitute teachers. I'm doing that since it pays more than being a TA/IA or a behavioral tutor. Plus, I've often subbed for RSP/SDC classes and have worked with kids who have difficulties with reading comprehension or articulation. However, it never hurts to sub for an AP/Honor teacher once in a while (or as much as possible) :lol:

9 hours ago, Aspire_to_Be said:

For the literacy tutor and day camp positions, did you happen to run into those on a website or it's something you inquired at a local school? I am having major difficulties looking for an after school program via Indeed/Google. I would imagine I can't simply go up to any public school and ask if there are tutoring or after school programs available... although I am actually going to try that when I go into the school I shadow at next time. Do let me know, thank you for your response!

@snoves

The literacy tutor job was through my school, they provide some job opening postings in the community through their job portal. The day camp position was through a local posting on my city's parks and recs site. I would highly suggest looking at your city's recreation site to see if they have any job openings--my city runs both a day camp during the summer and an afterschool program :)

I am from the NYC area too there are so many opportunities to find work prior to starting graduate school! I would definitely look into an area/population of the field that you want to work in the future in Speech Pathology. I feel like it gives you the best experience long term, and will help you in the future. Also many colleges like to see your experience outside of just school work. Like,  I loved working with children and had an interest in students with Autism, so currently I am working as a Teachers Assistant for students on the Autism Spectrum. Also working in a school, I am able to learn more about students with Autism, but I also have the opportunity to shadow Speech Pathologist at my job too which really helped. 

Look for parapro or ABA jobs! I think those will give you the best experience as a future SLP. I currently work as a special ed assistant in Illinois and absolutely love it. It's giving me such an insight into elementary schools and allowed me to work with the two populations I really want to work with in the future! In IL all you need to receive your parapro license is usually a HS diploma or a certain number of hours. ABA i believe you just need a degree in something related to the field and then they'll usually train you to get your ABA license. I also agree that substitute teaching pays more and you still get great experience!

Greatly appreciate the information! I will look extensively into this immediately following taking the GREs. This could be just what I need to boost my grad school application, and definitely an excellent way to get experience working with the ASD population. Much thanks for the information! :)

@birdy-bear

----------------------------------------------

Thank you for the solid advice, I'm going to seek out the school principal where I shadow at (she's hard to find!) and inquire about possibilities of TA'ing. I think this would be the current best route for me, provided they allow me to do part time (unfortunately I take classes Tues/Thurs which may interfere with scheduling).

@Daniel998

------------------------------------------------

As we grow closer to the summer I'm going to definitely check those out for my city. I'll also look through the school I shadow at and my university. Thank you for your advice!

@snoves

-------------------------------------------------

Do you happen to be doing part-time by any chance? I am going to try to find the school principal tomorrow (today; she's always running around busy!) and inquire as to whether there may be TA possibilities for me. I'm unable to do Tues/Thurs due to school but am hoping it is still possible.

@slpgirl898

The consensus here has definitely been to apply for paraprofessional work. I'm going to check in tomorrow (today) with the principal of the school I shadow at to see if there may be any possible TA opportunities. Fingers crossed haha. Thank you!

@hopefulslp1

On 1/31/2018 at 2:02 AM, Aspire_to_Be said:

Greatly appreciate the information! I will look extensively into this immediately following taking the GREs. This could be just what I need to boost my grad school application, and definitely an excellent way to get experience working with the ASD population. Much thanks for the information! :)

@birdy-bear

----------------------------------------------

Thank you for the solid advice, I'm going to seek out the school principal where I shadow at (she's hard to find!) and inquire about possibilities of TA'ing. I think this would be the current best route for me, provided they allow me to do part time (unfortunately I take classes Tues/Thurs which may interfere with scheduling).

@Daniel998

------------------------------------------------

As we grow closer to the summer I'm going to definitely check those out for my city. I'll also look through the school I shadow at and my university. Thank you for your advice!

@snoves

Do you happen to be doing part-time by any chance? I am going to try to find the school principal tomorrow (today; she's always running around busy!) and inquire as to whether there may be TA possibilities for me. I'm unable to do Tues/Thurs due to school but am hoping it is still possible.

@slpgirl898

The consensus here has definitely been to apply for paraprofessional work. I'm going to check in tomorrow (today) with the principal of the school I shadow at to see if there may be any possible TA opportunities. Fingers crossed haha. Thank you!

@hopefulslp1

Im sure you can find positions that offer part time TA positions, I am currently a full time assistant and if accepted can only work full time at two of the schools on my list.