Let’s talk books

@Bopie5 It really is a great novel! I can't wait to start devouring some of Adichie's other books.

I see we have many overlapping interests--with drama being the only exception. I'm also applying to Columbia (AHHH Halberstam!) and Chicago (AHHH Berlant!) but they're so far out of my reach I might as well go open a Blockbuster on Mars. 

@beardedlady Same! I've heard lovely things about Half of a Yellow Sun, and am currently on the hunt for a good used copy.

Ah wow, that's so exciting! Halberstam is SO inspiring to me--I'm currently writing my senior thesis about "good" and "evil" bodies in Disney films, so of course I've been geeking out over all of his work, especially The Queer Art of Failure! [Digression: I hope I'm using Halberstam's pronoun's correctly, as I know that Halberstam uses both "he" and "she," and as of 2012 identified with gender ambiguity--I used "his" in my SoP once and otherwise just went by last name]. And Berlant too, so fascinating. Also very interested in the work of Ngai and Ruddick at Chicago.

Same for me as far as the reach goes though. But who knows what could happen? Maybe we'll see each other at visits (in the ideal world ☺️)!

10 hours ago, beardedlady said:

@Bopie5 It really is a great novel! I can't wait to start devouring some of Adichie's other books.

I need more people interested in Adichie to come here. I'm spreading my time between English, Women and Gender Studies, and the Drama department to have a fuller experience of talking about Adichie, Suzan-Lori Parks, Lynn Nottage, and Katori Hall.

4 hours ago, Warelin said:

Suzan-Lori Parks, Lynn Nottage

Ah! I just read Topdog/Underdog and Sweat for my Modern and Contemporary Drama course. Such exciting work—I actually missed the chance to see Sweat in LA because my class went the day before a break, and I’m sad to have not seen it. 

3 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Ah! I just read Topdog/Underdog and Sweat for my Modern and Contemporary Drama course. Such exciting work—I actually missed the chance to see Sweat in LA because my class went the day before a break, and I’m sad to have not seen it. 

Why aren't you applying here? All my courses next semester are focused on Contemporary Drama or Gender and Sexuality!

I'm currently waiting to hear back from 2 journals regarding pieces I wrote on Adichie and Suzan-Lori Parks. I think I should hear back sometime in February.

Bummer that you didn't get to see Sweat. I've heard great things about the performance!

14 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Why aren't you applying here? All my courses next semester are focused on Contemporary Drama or Gender and Sexuality!

I'm currently waiting to hear back from 2 journals regarding pieces I wrote on Adichie and Suzan-Lori Parks. I think I should hear back sometime in February.

Bummer that you didn't get to see Sweat. I've heard great things about the performance!

Ugh, would've loved too. I had a full courseload this semester + lots of extracurricular activities, and I had to cut my list off at 7 for my own sanity. But WUSTL (alongside York University and UPenn) are on my add list for next cycle if it doesn't work out this time. 

Oooh, I hope you get published, I would love to read those pieces. Let me know what happens!

@Bopie5 I'm also hoping to read it. Living in a non-English speaking country, second-hands are hard to come by other than of canonical fiction or, conversely, popular fiction in the vein of Shopaholic and crime novels. I used to spend a fortune on shipping from Amazon UK before BookDepository. And English books in bookstores here go for ~25$ for a paperback, so... :(

On 12/28/2018 at 12:59 AM, Bopie5 said:

I'm currently writing my senior thesis about "good" and "evil" bodies in Disney films

That sounds interesting! What films are you looking at? I don't want to hijack the books thread, but films seem close enough... heh.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:59 AM, Bopie5 said:

Digression: I hope I'm using Halberstam's pronoun's correctly, as I know that Halberstam uses both "he" and "she," and as of 2012 identified with gender ambiguity--I used "his" in my SoP once and otherwise just went by last name

I also used "he." I went according to what I saw elsewhere, if I recall. I'm actually even more into Berlant though, because I'm interested in affect and the whole "intimate publics" thing. Good luck to us both!

And @Warelin, following your advice I looked into WUSTL--and it looks like a great fit. I'm finishing up the fit paragraph in my SOP atm, which basically wrote itself. I'm actually really excited about it. So thanks!!

On 12/28/2018 at 6:22 PM, beardedlady said:

And @Warelin, following your advice I looked into WUSTL--and it looks like a great fit. I'm finishing up the fit paragraph in my SOP atm, which basically wrote itself. I'm actually really excited about it. So thanks!!

Isn't it nice when the paragraph writes itself? Keep me updated how your application season goes.

5 hours ago, beardedlady said:

What films are you looking at?

Currently, my thesis examines "Disney princess" films from the Disney Renaissance, so The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocahontas, and Mulan, with maybe a quick discussion of Beauty and the Beast. The project has been really fun so far--can't really complain about watching favorite childhood movies for research!

5 hours ago, beardedlady said:

I went according to what I saw elsewhere, if I recall.

That's what I did too! Good to know we're in the same boat. Berlant is truly so fascinating. Her cruel optimism work really shook up how I think about how I relate to the world...Can't wait to see what she does next.

Finally got around to reading Americanah this week, which is embarrassingly late given that Adichie gave a speech during my graduation ceremony... As an international student in the US I was delighted by her sharp satire of the follies of American college life. Favorite moment was probably the passage where she describes how Ifemelu feels an ambivalent pride when others tell her she sounds "so American" or has "no accent," and that she wears the compliment like a "garland"--such a frisson of recognition! I wish I was proud of my accent but it grates my ears and at this point I cant even "do" it without sounding like a parody of my compatriots.

Also very excited to start reading Anil Ramdas, a Surinam critic, essayist, and novelist who writes in Dutch.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:19 AM, Bopie5 said:

Big agree here! Little Fires Everywhere is also excellent, but there's something about EINTY  that really just immersed me. 

SUCH love for this book as well!

This year, I think my favorite reads were Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept by Paulo Coelho, The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro, and A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. 

Currently reading The Castle Cross the Magnet Carter by Kia Corthron, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, and The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid!

Loved LFE as well but, like to said, there was something about EINTY that just completely grabbed me.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:16 AM, beardedlady said:

I'm now reading Baldwin's Go Tell it On the Mountain

I LOVE THIS BOOK!  And everything James Baldwin ever wrote.  I did my senior capstone in undergrad on Giovanni's Room.  James Baldwin is amazing.

as soon as my brain will let me, i'll be reading NK Jemisin's Broken Earth series. she is absolutely amazing and i've heard so many great things about the series. i just haven't been able to pleasure read in a while lol

10 minutes ago, Warelin said:

my article got accepted today. It gets published next week.

Congrats!!! So exciting, I’m so happy for you. Will it be accessible online or through any databases, or is it in a subscription journal?

5 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Congrats!!! So exciting, I’m so happy for you. Will it be accessible online or through any databases, or is it in a subscription journal?

It is an open access journal and will also be indexed by MLA Bibliography and Ebscohost Discovery. So, anyone can access!

45 minutes ago, Warelin said:

It is an open access journal and will also be indexed by MLA Bibliography and Ebscohost Discovery. So, anyone can access!

Yay! Looking forward to reading it!