Jump to content
lilmaz

Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

Recommended Posts

In the past few years Wayne State has been the end of January/beginning of February. So could be next week, fingers crossed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats @knsawicki on IUPUI and @CH14 on SC. I wonder if IUPUI will be sending out any more invites on Monday, or whether I'm out of the running there. Haven't gotten an official rejection yet so we'll see. It seems like these invites and rejections are going out even earlier this year than they did last year, based on what I read on last year's thread. 

I got a rejection from Augustana late yesterday afternoon. I was surprised to hear from them so quickly, since their deadline was just Jan 15. I must have really not been what they wanted. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LauraT said:

Congrats @knsawicki on IUPUI and @CH14 on SC. I wonder if IUPUI will be sending out any more invites on Monday, or whether I'm out of the running there. Haven't gotten an official rejection yet so we'll see. It seems like these invites and rejections are going out even earlier this year than they did last year, based on what I read on last year's thread. 

I got a rejection from Augustana late yesterday afternoon. I was surprised to hear from them so quickly, since their deadline was just Jan 15. I must have really not been what they wanted. ;)

 

Thank you @LauraT! One of my friends who also applied to IUPUI hasn't heard from them yet either so hopefully they send out more invites on Monday for you both! I wasn't expecting to hear anything from anyone until February so that first rejection from UNCG was hard. Hoping I should hear from the rest by next week. I saw that OSU and USC have already sent out invites so now I'm anxious about those two and I feel like Wisconsin is a long shot, just from what I've heard from other people and from their open house. Fingers crossed for us all!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 11:29 AM, knsawicki said:

Thank you @LauraT! One of my friends who also applied to IUPUI hasn't heard from them yet either so hopefully they send out more invites on Monday for you both! I wasn't expecting to hear anything from anyone until February so that first rejection from UNCG was hard. Hoping I should hear from the rest by next week. I saw that OSU and USC have already sent out invites so now I'm anxious about those two and I feel like Wisconsin is a long shot, just from what I've heard from other people and from their open house. Fingers crossed for us all!! 

From what I've heard, Wisconsin seems like a long shot :( I was rejected from Minnesota and have not received an invite from IUPUI (I'm hoping they send more invites on Monday), so I'm nervous about Wisconsin. I also applied to Cincinnati, VCU, Rutgers, Thomas Jefferson, and UPenn, so I'm hoping I'm more successful with some of those schools! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MandyN said:

From what I've heard, Wisconsin seems like a long shot :( I was rejected from Minnesota and have not received an invite from IUPUI (I'm hoping they send more invites on Monday), so I'm nervous about Wisconsin. I also applied to Cincinnati, VCU, Rutgers, Thomas Jefferson, and UPenn, so I'm hoping I'm more successful with some of those schools! 

Yeah, I'll honestly be shocked if I get an interview from Wisconsin. Cincinnati and Wisconsin should be sending out invites this week at some point so I'll just be obsessively checking my email starting tomorrow! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MandyN oh shoot, that sucks... I had no idea. I went to their open house in November and absolutely loved it there so I'm really hoping I get an interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MandyN good luck to you with Cincinnati and your other schools! I am super nervous but definitely let me know what you hear from Cincinnati! It would be nice to "know" someone if we get interviews! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard back from Stanford this past Thursday- no invite for an interview. 

I also applied to IUPUI. I noticed that some of you have received invites this past Friday. Maybe I'll hear a definite answer tomorrow on Monday.

This is my second time applying for GC programs. I just hope I get one invite. 

Fingers crossed for everyone out there. It's super competitive and it's unfortunate that the class sizes are so small that leaves us all behind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MandyN, thanks for the info about the Cincinnati timing - I went to their open house last year as well as the year before, when I was just learning about genetic counseling, and I really like the facilities and everyone I met. 

@LauraCH, I'll be there on the 22nd. Bummer. ?

Fingers crossed today for all of us waiting for an email from IUPUI today.

I agree, @catherineu09 . I know that because of all the supervision required, it's hard to increase class sizes in the current format. But I don't see how the profession is ever going to keep up with demand, which is presumably going to continue to increase as genetic testing and genomic medicine become more common and widespread. Even if new programs open each year, that's still only ~10 students per new program per year. Right now, all the programs together can't put out 500 new GCs a year - for the entire United States, and some of those folks are international and go back home. Compared to other health professions that's tiny, and I wonder if GCs will be able to keep their niche or whether related health professions will start filling those roles, just out of necessity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 1:15 PM, mirgiraffe said:

Hi everyone! I'm a first time applicant, and I only applied to three schools since I'm abroad and many schools wouldn't offer the option of a video interview. I applied to Ohio State, Keck Graduate Institute, and the University of Glasgow! Anyone apply to any of those? I'll admit, I'm not super confident in my applications, but glad to know there are so many other people going through the same process!

@mirgiraffe, tell me more about Glasgow - are you a UK citizen planning to stay/go back? I looked into the program in Wales, which only requires a couple of short residence periods each year and is mostly done online. But it seems like the US licensure board has no reciprocal arrangement with the UK, so if I did my training in Wales I'd only be licensed in the UK (currently the UK/EU has some kind of arrangement, but presumably that would be up in the air depending on what happens with Brexit) and there would be no way for me to take the US exam.

(I think I got my signature working - yes, I am procrastinating here while clicking 'refresh mail' constantly...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 10:02 AM, LauraT said:

jfb, thanks for the job lead! I searched Indeed just the other day but always seem to get a bunch of non-relevant positions in with the relevant ones; something about the word 'assistant' throws it off somehow... Since we're in the same area, if you ever want to grab some coffee and talk about GC stuff, let me know. Or maybe I'll see you at the IU interviews (*fingers crossed*)

I just got an interview invite from Oklahoma! Yahoo! I was so afraid I wasn't going to get any invites at all.

Congratulations!!! Good luck on the interview!!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LauraT said:

@mirgiraffe, tell me more about Glasgow - are you a UK citizen planning to stay/go back? I looked into the program in Wales, which only requires a couple of short residence periods each year and is mostly done online. But it seems like the US licensure board has no reciprocal arrangement with the UK, so if I did my training in Wales I'd only be licensed in the UK (currently the UK/EU has some kind of arrangement, but presumably that would be up in the air depending on what happens with Brexit) and there would be no way for me to take the US exam.

(I think I got my signature working - yes, I am procrastinating here while clicking 'refresh mail' constantly...)

@LauraT I'm actually a US citizen but with dual EU citizenship, but I'd really love to live in the UK so I applied to see if I could get a leg in that way... I honestly haven't thought much about reciprocity with the US, but also the application to Glasgow was free so I figured there wasn't much to lose in terms of money (their deadline is March 31 if you're still interested, by the way)... I also liked the look of their program, and was also slightly indulging my anglophile side (whoops). I also just wanted to see what'll happen! I don't have high hopes, but figured it was worth a shot :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mirgiraffe said:

@LauraT I'm actually a US citizen but with dual EU citizenship, but I'd really love to live in the UK so I applied to see if I could get a leg in that way... I honestly haven't thought much about reciprocity with the US, but also the application to Glasgow was free so I figured there wasn't much to lose in terms of money (their deadline is March 31 if you're still interested, by the way)... I also liked the look of their program, and was also slightly indulging my anglophile side (whoops). I also just wanted to see what'll happen! I don't have high hopes, but figured it was worth a shot :)

Thanks for the reply, makes sense. I'd love to live in the UK too, but I'd hate not having the option to move back to the US and work as a GC if I needed to, for family obligations or similar. I believe the Wales application is also not due until sometime in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LauraT said:

Thanks for the reply, makes sense. I'd love to live in the UK too, but I'd hate not having the option to move back to the US and work as a GC if I needed to, for family obligations or similar. I believe the Wales application is also not due until sometime in April.

That makes sense as well! I didn't apply to a ton of schools because of my lack of pre-reqs or the fact that I'm abroad, so I figured why not, but I really have thought much about the future beyond the applications since I'm not optimistic on getting interviews for any of them, so it was just a shot in the dark! Hopefully they'll come up with reciprocity though, or some way to transfer skills between countries!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mirgiraffe @LauraT      Hey! Right now I'm living in Edinburgh and I'm wanting to go back to the US for gc school. I would love to apply here if there was any way to reciprocate, because I don't want to live here forever.  The programs here seem to be 3 years about.  I will be kicking myself if they find a way to transfer over to the US in that time and I don't do it.   It is really incredible living though. @mirgiraffe I was the same way about applying to just a few schools. Being abroad I can't imagine being able to interview anyways which is a little discouraging.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an interview at IUPUI, lucky because it is the only school I applied to! The email was sent on Friday, 1/25/19!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jfb731 what day did you request? I got an interview at IUPUI also and request for the morning session on 2/25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jfb731 said:

I got an interview at IUPUI, lucky because it is the only school I applied to! The email was sent on Friday, 1/25/19!

Congrats! I haven't gotten anything either way yet (it's about 2:30p ET on Monday).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MeaganCB said:

@mirgiraffe @LauraT      Hey! Right now I'm living in Edinburgh and I'm wanting to go back to the US for gc school. I would love to apply here if there was any way to reciprocate, because I don't want to live here forever.  The programs here seem to be 3 years about.  I will be kicking myself if they find a way to transfer over to the US in that time and I don't do it.   It is really incredible living though. @mirgiraffe I was the same way about applying to just a few schools. Being abroad I can't imagine being able to interview anyways which is a little discouraging.  

I think Glasgow is two years, but seeing as I didn't go to undergrad in the UK, I feel like my chances are pretty slim... honestly, they've got their hands full with Brexit so it probably won't be that soon so I'd apply for the US, and then see what happens! Yea, I only asked about five-ish schools about interviewing abroad, and only two (OSU, and KGI) told me it was possible for me to do that, which is super frustrating considering how expensive it would be for me to fly back to the States, AND miss out on days of work for the interview process... I would've loved to have applied to more but being abroad is super limiting, at least with the schools for which I was qualified, and interested in applying ? (I don't have some of the hard science requirements, and don't have 6+ months of care experience...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knsawicki said:

@jfb731 what day did you request? I got an interview at IUPUI also and request for the morning session on 2/25

I requested 2/11 in the afternoon as my first preference and then 2/25 morning and afternoon as my next preferences!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jfb731 ok awesome! 2/25 was my first choice and 2/11 was my second! I need that confirmation email asap so I can send it to my profs here at MSU to let them know I will not be in class that day ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone's future reference, both Bay Path and Boise State have said they are OK with Skype interviews.

This morning I got two promotional emails, one from Augustana and one from UNCG - both from their general Admissions team, not the GC folks, but still, coordinate your email lists, don't include people you've already rejected, folks! Sigh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.