Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

lilmaz

On 1/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, MeaganCB said:

@mirgiraffe @LauraT      Hey! Right now I'm living in Edinburgh and I'm wanting to go back to the US for gc school. I would love to apply here if there was any way to reciprocate, because I don't want to live here forever.  The programs here seem to be 3 years about.  I will be kicking myself if they find a way to transfer over to the US in that time and I don't do it.   It is really incredible living though. @mirgiraffe I was the same way about applying to just a few schools. Being abroad I can't imagine being able to interview anyways which is a little discouraging.  

ABGC is definitely working or already has in place maybe, allowing internationally trained GCs to sit for the board exam if they went to an accredited school recognized by ABGC. There's some more info on it here: https://www.abgc.net/becoming-certified/recognized-accrediting-bodies/

1 hour ago, AspiringGC said:

ABGC is definitely working or already has in place maybe, allowing internationally trained GCs to sit for the board exam if they went to an accredited school recognized by ABGC. There's some more info on it here: https://www.abgc.net/becoming-certified/recognized-accrediting-bodies/

Thank you! I may contact them about it.   I had contacted them about a year ago and was told it was not possible but maybe things have changed in the last year! Hopefully!

1 hour ago, catherineu09 said:

Anyone apply to Columbia, Sarah Lawrence, or USF (South Florida)? These were due in December and I’m wondering if anyone has heard anything about interviews for such schools.  

Sarah Lawrence sent out two waves of interview offers, but I heard that they tend to send out invites into March.

1 hour ago, tarheel96 said:

Hi there everyone! Congratulations on finishing the application cycle :)

I applied to 4 schools and received interviews from 2 so far. Feeling thankful! I was curious if anyone has heard updates from Vanderbilt, in terms of interviews or accreditation?

In an email I received from Vanderbilt they reported that interview emails should be sent out in early February. The email said they are going to have 5 interview dates, which will be held between February 27th - March 18th. 

19 hours ago, catherineu09 said:

Heard back from IUPUI today - no interview for me. Good luck to those who have interviews! 

On to the next one.. waiting to hear back from more. 

Same for me, a no from IUPUI. Le sigh. No word from anyone else yet.

@AspiringGC , thanks for the info on the international accreditation stuff. Looks like they've made some progress since the last time I looked at it in depth. It still looks like your university has to be somehow approved by them, or their national accreditation approved by them, before you can sit for the exam. Not something I'd want to commit two+ years of study to unless all of that was already in place, but I'm an old and somewhat risk-averse.

Edited by LauraT

1 hour ago, LauraT said:

Same for me, a no from IUPUI. Le sigh. No word from anyone else yet.

@AspiringGC , thanks for the info on the international accreditation stuff. Looks like they've made some progress since the last time I looked at it in depth. It still looks like your university has to be somehow approved by them, or their national accreditation approved by them, before you can sit for the exam. Not something I'd want to commit two+ years of study to unless all of that was already in place, but I'm an old and somewhat risk-averse.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a list to what places/organizations are approved for this process. But from a talk during one of my classes, it sounds like schools accredited by the European board have approval for this. It's definitely something ABGC could answer or the particular school of interest :)

Edited by AspiringGC

Hey y'all - UNMC (Nebraska) just announced their accreditation! 

Also, the Discord server is hopping today - if you haven't joined yet, it's a great spot for information and real-time updates on rolling interview offers, rejections, etc. 

Hi everyone, first time applicant this cycle. Just heard back on Friday I got an interview at UW Madison-Wisconsin. I'm very excited but also as a non traditional student and this being my first time applying, I'm very nervous and unsure of what to expect at the interview! What kinds of questions do they ask? How should I prepare? I'm very clear on why I want to be a GC, how I chose this career, and also the specifics on why UW is my first choice. But beyond those things, I'm not sure what they will be asking and looking for in the interview. Any advice is appreciated!!

On 2/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, Sarah8761 said:

Hi guys! First time applicant and poster here. So far I got two interview offers and 2 rejections. This whole thing is so stressful its great to see other people are going through the same thing. 

Congratulations! I am keeping my fingers crossed for an interview.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:19 PM, snr17 said:

In an email I received from Vanderbilt they reported that interview emails should be sent out in early February. The email said they are going to have 5 interview dates, which will be held between February 27th - March 18th. 

Thank you so much! That was helpful. I just heard back from them today for an interview! Best of luck to everyone else - it is truly quite a whirlwind of a process, but an exciting one :).

Hi guys..I am an upcoming 2020 applicant looking for some advice/reassurance!

Overall I have about a 3.55 GPA with a BS in Health Science and Healthcare Management Certificate. I got an A in psychology, B in statistics, B in genetics, A in genetics lab, and an A- in biochemistry. All of these classes were above the class average. I am a chemistry, biology, and sociology tutor. I volunteer with crisis text line and at a genetic counseling unit at a hospital. This summer, I am going to be a mental health technician. I am also an international student mentor. I have done over 60 volunteer hours at other hospitals.

Other classes that I have taken are lifespan & development, anatatomy I & II, health promotion, spanish I, microbiology, molecular genetics, nutrition, full year of chem, full year of bio, medical terminology, pharmacology

I want to apply to 10-12 schools...I know that is a lot but my parents don't want me to take more than one gap year. I haven't taken the GREs yet but if I get above the 50th percentile, do you think I have a good shot? They say the average accepted gpa is around 3.5, but since it's so competitive, I would imagine it to be higher.