Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

lilmaz

3 hours ago, RissaH said:

I also applied to 4, and did apply to University of Nebraska Medical's new program; they're at the same point in the process as Vanderbilt. My understanding is they can't participate in the Match if they aren't accredited; so it's really only a waste of time/money and not a huge risk to apply if they don't get accredited on time. 

When I applied to Vanderbilt they sent an email stating if they did not receive accreditation by March 15th they would not be able to participate in the Match, but if they receive accreditation by the start of the classes the class would still be eligible to take the board exam right?

@snr17  Programs not accredited by the start of school cannot accept a class. Last year, Arizona had interviewed and planned to participate in post match, but they failed to get accreditation in time so they couldn't accept anyone. Usually the program makes the call to drop their applicants sometime in the summer if the program hasn't been accredited yet. Basically, you would never be admitted somewhere that wouldn't qualify you for boards.

Hey guys!  For those of you who don't know, there is this great spot where a lot of current students and current applicants can chat online called Discord!  It's an app and on the computer and there are so many resources for people like us who are applying to GC programs this fall.  You can see a list of GC resources, see the list of people who can take in guests for application season, find out about when you will hear back, and so much more!  I have been a part of the app for a little over a year now and I love it so much!  All love here!  Click on the link I've posted and you can join this awesome community if you haven't already!

https://discord.gg/XRjE4p

On 1/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, jebbahay7 said:

Hey guys!  For those of you who don't know, there is this great spot where a lot of current students and current applicants can chat online called Discord!  It's an app and on the computer and there are so many resources for people like us who are applying to GC programs this fall.  You can see a list of GC resources, see the list of people who can take in guests for application season, find out about when you will hear back, and so much more!  I have been a part of the app for a little over a year now and I love it so much!  All love here!  Click on the link I've posted and you can join this awesome community if you haven't already!

https://discord.gg/XRjE4p

Would you be able to post the Discord link again? It's dead

43 minutes ago, laryal said:

It says I don't have permission to post? 

To prevent spam they have it set up where you have to add a "role" to post outside of the "general" chat. If you go to the bot-commands you can see how to do it, or post in the general chat to get help :)

On 1/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, snr17 said:

I only applied to 4, which I am a little nervous about. Did anyone apply to the newer programs? I applied to Vanderbilt, however, they still have not been accredited yet. 

I applied to Vanderbilt too!! I think they have to be accredited by March in order to accept new students... keeping my fingers crossed I hear back soon!! I love their program

7 hours ago, roseaub said:

I applied to Vanderbilt too!! I think they have to be accredited by March in order to accept new students... keeping my fingers crossed I hear back soon!! I love their program

Same! I was super excited to see that they were getting a genetic counseling program!!

57 minutes ago, HiImKayla said:

Will schools tell you if you are not selected for an interview? Or do you just keep on waiting? So nervous!

I only ever had a problem with one school not getting back to me about my status until I reached out to them. 

Typically rejections start going out a week after interview offers were sent up to more than a month later. By mid-March most, if not all, offers/rejections will have been sent out. I'd reach out if you're still waiting after that. 

First time posting in the Grad Cafe but have followed it for a while. I just wanted to post that I received an email from the IUPUI GC program that interview offers should be sent out by January 28th! That is the only school I applied to since I am currently locked in Indiana and was discouraged from applying to Indiana State. 

I am a semi-non traditional student. I was a PhD student in Evolutionary Developmental biology but realized that academic research was not a great fit for me (variety of reasons) and have since transferred to the Master's degree program and shifted my focus towards getting more experience in genetic counseling. I am going to post some info below about my stats because I am unsure how competitive my application is and if I have to do another cycle I would like to know what I should seek out to beef up my experiences. 

BA in Spanish, BS in Biology, minor in Chemistry (GPA 3.7, 3.8 in Biology), MS in Biology (GPA 4.0) GRE: Q-60th V-88th W- 60th

relevant classes: Genetics/lab, Biochem/lab, Org Chem I&II/lab, , Molecular bio/lab, Dev Bio/lab, graduate genetics, graduate dev bio, genetics of behavior, evolutionary (pop) genetics 

Experience: Research- NSF REU focusing on embryonic development in marine inverts, 2 years of undergrad research on butterfly development, 3 years of graduate research on how genetic/molecular mechanisms allow the environment to influence development. GC related- Currently a GCA working under 2 licensed GCs (8-16hrs/week), worked at a non-profit that serviced adults with developmental disabilities (1 year). 

I am not that worried about my academic credentials but I feel like my experiences might be a little weak. Any tips or suggestions for someone who is transitioning their career path??

jfb, thanks for the info about the IU notification date. My fingers are crossed, as that's one of the programs I applied to as well. Already got two rejections, one from Minnesota and one this morning from UNCG. My mind is now churning with all the things I meant to do but didn't, grades that should have been better, more shadowing that I should have done... I applied to nine programs overall, so I still have 7 chances for an interview: IUPUI, Oklahoma, Indiana State, Cincinnati, UAB, VCU and Augustana. Anybody else applied to any of those?

I'm also a transitioner but it seems like you've got a ton of both research experience and then the GCA work; you're a lot more ahead of the game than me! Is your GCA position in the Indy area? 

Edited by LauraT

1 hour ago, LauraT said:

jfb, thanks for the info about the IU notification date. My fingers are crossed, as that's one of the programs I applied to as well. Already got two rejections, one from Minnesota and one this morning from UNCG. My mind is now churning with all the things I meant to do but didn't, grades that should have been better, more shadowing that I should have done... I applied to nine programs overall, so I still have 7 chances for an interview: IUPUI, Oklahoma, Indiana State, Cincinnati, UAB, VCU and Augustana. Anybody else applied to any of those?

I'm also a transitioner but it seems like you've got a ton of both research experience and then the GCA work; you're a lot more ahead of the game than me! Is your GCA position in the Indy area? 

LauraT, yes the GCA position is in the Indy area! I also just saw another posting for a GCA in the Indy area (https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/genetic-counseling-assistant-at-community-health-network-1072963453?utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic), if you were interested! My fingers are crossed for you too- I am sure you will get some interviews with so many schools that haven't gotten back to you! 

1 hour ago, LauraT said:

I also received my rejection from UNCG. I haven't applied to any of those other schools. Crossing my fingers for both of us. I still have 6 chances, we got this! Keep us updated :) 

2 hours ago, LauraT said:

I was also rejected from Minnesota! And Arkansas. It hurts, but I like knowing we are all in this together. Keep your head up and know you are enough :) 

59 minutes ago, andk07 said:

@amarie8 rejections are never fun for sure. If you don't mind me asking, did Arkansas send you an email or was it just updated on the portal?

Hi @andk07 I got an email about it. Hopefully if you haven't heard you are going to be offered an interview!

jfb, thanks for the job lead! I searched Indeed just the other day but always seem to get a bunch of non-relevant positions in with the relevant ones; something about the word 'assistant' throws it off somehow... Since we're in the same area, if you ever want to grab some coffee and talk about GC stuff, let me know. Or maybe I'll see you at the IU interviews (*fingers crossed*)

I just got an interview invite from Oklahoma! Yahoo! I was so afraid I wasn't going to get any invites at all.

2 hours ago, amarie8 said:

Hi @andk07 I got an email about it. Hopefully if you haven't heard you are going to be offered an interview!

I know last year they sent invites until the end of January, so I still have hope. Thank you! 

@LauraT Congrats!!!!! 

Hi everyone! I'm a first time applicant, and I only applied to three schools since I'm abroad and many schools wouldn't offer the option of a video interview. I applied to Ohio State, Keck Graduate Institute, and the University of Glasgow! Anyone apply to any of those? I'll admit, I'm not super confident in my applications, but glad to know there are so many other people going through the same process!

On 1/24/2019 at 10:19 AM, LauraT said:

I also got a rejection from UNCG yesterday morning, but got an interview at IUPUI today! I applied to Cincinnati as well, along with Wayne State, South Carolina, Wisconsin, and Ohio State. I'm super anxious now about emails! 

I got a rejection yesterday morning from UNCG and heard about an interview at IUPUI today. Anyone know when I should hear about OSU, Cincinnati, Wisconsin, Wayne State, or South Carolina??