PHILOSOPHY M.A. ACCEPTANCE/REJECTION 2018

buffystrong

6 minutes ago, Descartes blanche said:

The same interests, actually. NIU seems to be an excellent department so I get it. If NIU gave you similar or better funding, do you think you would know at that point where you're going? 

I’m not sure. That’s why I really want to visit.  One big thing for me is that NIU regularly offers metaethics and GSU hasn’t in recent years. NIU already posted their tentative course offering for next year. Hopefully GSU does soon because it matters for me that I have the opportunity to take classes in certain areas in an MA

3 hours ago, Descartes blanche said:

lol. Well, I suppose I'm a little biased given my interests. 

Religion, language, early modern, ancient. GSU doesn't even cover my tangential interests. The only exception is their German intellectual history guy, who would have been great to work with.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Religion, language, early modern, ancient. GSU doesn't even cover my tangential interests. The only exception is their German intellectual history guy, who would have been great to work with.

I was never under the impression that religion or language were the strong suits, maybe I missed those professors. From what I can tell, GSU is mainly a legal, political, moral program. It also has strengths in moral psychology and Nietzsche (Berry and Moore). We're talking about Georgia State, right? 

2 hours ago, Descartes blanche said:

I was never under the impression that religion or language were the strong suits, maybe I missed those professors. From what I can tell, GSU is mainly a legal, political, moral program. It also has strengths in moral psychology and Nietzsche (Berry and Moore). We're talking about Georgia State, right? 

Yes, and my point is that the GSU rejection doesn't bother me much.

In at Georgia State University (off the waitlist) + I got their liberalism scholarship. My post on the previous page looks kinda silly now. Just goes to show you never lose hope. I'm absolutely thrilled. 

Also this means I'll be declining Northern Illinois University for those on NIU's waitlist best of luck

Edited by Zimmy64

9 minutes ago, Zimmy64 said:

In at Georgia State University (off the waitlist) + I got their liberalism scholarship. My post on the previous page looks kinda silly now. Just goes to show you never lose hope. I'm absolutely thrilled. 

Also this means I'll be declining Northern Illinois University for those on NIU's waitlist best of luck

Did you have funding at NIU?

9 minutes ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

Did you have funding at NIU?

No, which also makes it an easy decision (My funding at GSU is $15,000/year + tuition waiver). Professor Clapp did mention that those who don't get funding in the philosophy department often get it in other departments. Given my background in Political Science I was going to see if I could get one there but I was waiting to hear back from GSU since it would have made the point moot and it looks like that was the right decision.

34 minutes ago, Zimmy64 said:

Congratulations! Still on the wait-list here, so it's good to hear people are still getting the generous assistantships. :)

What are your AOIs? I'm interested in GSU's strength in Political, Social, and Legal Philosophy. I am also obviously interested in GSU's strength in (Classical) Liberalism.

On a side note I've repeatedly had to explain to my friends and parents that us Americans mangled the good word "liberal" and that in philosophy and (for the most part) still in Europe liberal means more or less Libertarian (It covers a wide swath from Classical Liberals who see a limited role for Government like Hume and Smith all the way to Anarcho-Capitalists. 

13 minutes ago, Zimmy64 said:

What are your AOIs? I'm interested in GSU's strength in Political, Social, and Legal Philosophy. I am also obviously interested in GSU's strength in (Classical) Liberalism.

On a side note I've repeatedly had to explain to my friends and parents that us Americans mangled the good word "liberal" and that in philosophy and (for the most part) still in Europe liberal means more or less Libertarian (It covers a wide swath from Classical Liberals who see a limited role for Government like Hume and Smith all the way to Anarcho-Capitalists. 

Political, Legal, Normative Ethics, and Metaethics. “Liberal” may be misused in American politics. However, the philosophical sense is still much broader than classical economic liberalism, e.g. Kant and Rawls are definitely liberals but not in the sense you mean.

44 minutes ago, Kantattheairport said:

Congratulations! Still on the wait-list here, so it's good to hear people are still getting the generous assistantships. :)

Do you know if GSU gives that kind of assistantship to many people? I'm also on the waitlist but the prospective assistantship that I was informed of was pretty meager: 5k the first year and 10k the second. 

26 minutes ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

Political, Legal, Normative Ethics, and Metaethics. “Liberal” may be misused in American politics. However, the philosophical sense is still much broader than classical economic liberalism, e.g. Kant and Rawls are definitely liberals but not in the sense you mean.

I agree. I wouldn't even say that it has been "misused," so much as it has simply evolved like so many other concepts. Many American liberals, as affiliated with the Democratic party, can acknowledge that their values and policies differ from that of classical liberalism and its early proponents. Much of that shift can be characterized in the work of - like you said - Rawls and Kant (though I would also add Pettit as a major contemporary influence away from classical liberalism). All of them take some allegiance to liberalism in the broader sense, I just think it's a matter of how they choose to conceptualize and defend the notion of liberty, or freedom. 

8 hours ago, Descartes blanche said:

Do you know if GSU gives that kind of assistantship to many people? I'm also on the waitlist but the prospective assistantship that I was informed of was pretty meager: 5k the first year and 10k the second. 

I believe it's one each for Legal & Political Philosophy and Kant & Post-Kantian German Philosophy, and then a couple for the Brains & Behaviour track. So not really that many, I'm afraid. :(

1 hour ago, Kantattheairport said:

I believe it's one each for Legal & Political Philosophy and Kant & Post-Kantian German Philosophy, and then a couple for the Brains & Behaviour track. So not really that many, I'm afraid. :(

What was your sample on? 

9 hours ago, Descartes blanche said:

Although I don't have one of the fellowships, I got offered 10k for both years, which I'll most likely be declining shortly. 

12 minutes ago, downwardabsolute said:

Although I don't have one of the fellowships, I got offered 10k for both years, which I'll most likely be declining shortly. 

Did you get a good offer at Oxford? I regret not applying there, but I never actually looked at their funding either. 

8 minutes ago, Descartes blanche said:

Did you get a good offer at Oxford? I regret not applying there, but I never actually looked at their funding either. 

I haven't yet heard about funding, and I may not until as late as April 13th (I apologize in advance to anyone wanting my NIU assistantship). 

1 hour ago, Kantattheairport said:

I saw somewhere that the person who initially received the legal/political scholarship declined, but that was like a week ago :/ 

10 minutes ago, downwardabsolute said:

I haven't yet heard about funding, and I may not until as late as April 13th (I apologize in advance to anyone wanting my NIU assistantship). 

Oxford would be an awesome experience. I avoided applying to any M.A. schools that also ran Ph.D. programs because I always heard it was better to have a faculty that focuses exclusively on its M.A. students. I'm not sure how much that theory holds when it comes to somewhere like Oxford though. If they offered good funding, I'd probably go anyway. 

I got the same at WMU too. Unfortunately, WMU (accepted) and GSU (currently waitlisted) have been the only schools - for me at least -  to respond with anything. I'm still waiting on UW-Milwaukee, VT, UMSL, U Houston, and Simon Fraser. I saw Houston and Fraser make an appearance, so I might just have a silent rejection with those two. Congrats on your winning streak though. Maybe you could use some of that as funding leverage with Oxford if it came down to it. 

Edited by Descartes blanche

11 minutes ago, Descartes blanche said:

I got the same at WMU too. Unfortunately, WMU (accepted) and GSU (currently waitlisted) have been the only schools - for me at least -  to respond with anything. I'm still waiting on UW-Milwaukee, VT, UMSL, U Houston, and Simon Fraser. I saw Houston and Fraser make an appearance, so I might just have a silent rejection with those two. Congrats on your winning streak though. Maybe you could use some of that as funding leverage with Oxford if it came down to it. 

Thanks! & yeah hopefully I can, NIU gave me a good offer and I don't think it's worth it to go too much into debt for a masters. Good luck to you!