PHILOSOPHY M.A. ACCEPTANCE/REJECTION 2018

buffystrong

1 hour ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

are you talking about their master's program? I think BC just sent out master's acceptances ,so yes, if you applied to the master's, you could be hearing from them via postal service any day now. As far as the phd, they were sent out the first of February and 5 offers were made. Sorry if you were talking about master's; my misunderstanding.

No, I was talking about the PhD. Must not have been any offers made to GradCafe-goers, as we were all still waiting in the dark over on the acceptance-rejection thread.

Thanks for the tip! :)

On 2018/2/23 at 1:16 PM, Spinozian said:

Hey @PhiloStorian SFSU lets in just about anyone (which isn't a bad thing); if you're looking for funding ask and you'll get a TA-ship an/or a teaching position. That being the case, it's a welcoming and friendly department (if you hang with the right people). Not a bad choice if you're specifically looking for a very analytic program. If you're really into PhilSci that ISN'T cogsci-oriented, consider your other options. 

Source - know a person that knows a person.

Hi, I note the deadline of SFSU is July 15, if so when do they send offer? A rolling basis?

@buffystrong, you know how the UWM application has that whole system where you check boxes and digitally sign all those sub-documents within the application? I just logged on to see if I had a decision, and I noticed there was a "tuition evaluation form" that I hadn't checked... but I was sure I checked all the boxes when I submitted the application. Do you know what this is, or do you remember signing such a thing?

*panic slightly intensifies*

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

@buffystrong, you know how the UWM application has that whole system where you check boxes and digitally sign all those sub-documents within the application? I just logged on to see if I had a decision, and I noticed there was a "tuition evaluation form" that I hadn't checked... but I was sure I checked all the boxes when I submitted the application. Do you know what this is, or do you remember signing such a thing?

On the website it says that box may get added "if applicable" and you should receive an email about it. I'm not sure what it is but sounds like good news to me!

20 minutes ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

How important is ‘fit’ for an MA program? Almost every factor except fit is pulling me toward NIU, but my AOIs are right in GSU’s wheelhouse.

I'd say much less important but still relevant. NIU's placement record in general is better than GSU's but it also depends on what Ph.D. programs your looking to apply to two years from now. For example, I'm looking at Arizona, Georgetown, Brown, and Virginia. NIU's Arizona placement rate is slightly better than GSU's but GSU's placement rate for Georgetown, Brown, and Virginia are much better than NIU's.

Another factor is that although fit is much less important for M.A. programs going to a program where you have a better fit might led to developing deeper connections with professors which in turn might lead to better letters of recommendations for Ph.D. programs. 

It would also depend on what the other factors pulling you towards NIU are. Better funding, for example, would trump better fit for me. 

On 3/6/2018 at 11:15 AM, soproperlybasic said:

Also accepted at Western Michigan with full funding/an assistantship! NIU is still my top choice though...so I'll probably decline. Although NIU has yet to get back to me on funding.

I think I'd probably still pick NIU over Brandeis, but I'm not sure. The location of Brandeis is tempting, though I know NIU is the best fit for me/has unbeatable placement recently.

I recall someone in my cohort turning down NIU's full funding offer in favor of WMU. (I was surprised at the time, but some of his reasoning was about familiarity and desire to work with specific faculty at WMU in epistemology) He is legit by the way. He's at Northwestern now (ranked 32 in PGR as of the recent report).

20 hours ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

How important is ‘fit’ for an MA program? Almost every factor except fit is pulling me toward NIU, but my AOIs are right in GSU’s wheelhouse.

One of my advisers told me fit is the most important factor behind not going in to debt. In one sense, I wish I was in your position lol. Fit is pulling me to NIU, but funding is not yet clear and may not be until right up at the deadline, whereas GSU funds everyone but I definitely have a poor fit there.

3 hours ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

I'm just curious if the words should be taken to mean anything meaningful.

I got the same line in my e-mail. I'm gonna take it as a compliment lol. Ultimately, I think that getting waitlisted is a meaningful gesture;  it means you're what they're looking for, you and about a couple dozen others. 

I just received an acceptance e-mail from the University of Missouri - St. Louis. Is there anyone on here who is familiar with the department at UMSL, or has any information about their program? It was kind of a random choice for me when I applied but I'm intrigued by their placement record considering that they don't seem to get a lot of hype.  Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey guys!

Is anyone familiar with Cal State LA's MA program? If so, what was the funding like? Did they offer a tuition waiver?

The department was super vague with their funding on their website, however, they did mention a select amount of available assistantships as well as a few internship opportunities at community colleges in the area. I am interested in CSULA because I would LOVE to work with Dr. Talia Bettcher, so I'm trying to find out if LA is a realistic option for me financially. Thanks in advance for your help!

On 3/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Hey!! I'm sorry to have taken so long getting back to you! So, off the bat, no--I do not know what this is, nor do I remember signing such a thing lol. Worse, I just checked on my application, and I didn't see it anywhere. Was it, like, on the main page with all the other stuff (e.g. writing sample and letters of rec and whatever)? At any rate, I received my decision by email!