I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Speech-Pathology Master programs at New York University or New York Medical College? I was fortunate to be admitted to both, but even with my research, I can't seem to find too much of a distinction between their programs that can help me decide. I have yet to hear from five schools but since these schools are at the top of my list anyway, I figured I'd start with these. Any insight about the school/program/courses/students/school culture/professors/requirements/etc would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi there! 

I also got into these two schools and I just made my choice. I picked NYU (my alma mater)! Aside from super personal reasons (like living in NYC, wanting to work in NYC later in my career, the ability to keep working in my research lab at NYU, my inability to drive in and survive upstate weather haha), I think what cemented the choice for me was the courses that NYU offers. While I definitely want ample experience with medically fragile patients, I don't necessarily want it to be the star feature of my education. I like that NYU has a good spread of electives that can give me experience with speaking voice remediation/vocal performance, ASD, linguistically diverse populations, and children. I can appreciate how NYMC's breakneck speed gets you through the program super quickly (one of the reasons I applied) but I do like the opportunity to take different courses with different people and personalize my degree to my interests.

9 hours ago, Speechgirl25 said:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Speech-Pathology Master programs at New York University or New York Medical College? I was fortunate to be admitted to both, but even with my research, I can't seem to find too much of a distinction between their programs that can help me decide. I have yet to hear from five schools but since these schools are at the top of my list anyway, I figured I'd start with these. Any insight about the school/program/courses/students/school culture/professors/requirements/etc would be greatly appreciated! 

I would also consider what you want to do in your future career.  If you want to work in a school, will either school (or both) provide the necessary requirements for you to get your teaching certification?  I mention this because I ran across this problem with one of the schools I was accepted to. Since I'm not 100% sure where I want to work, I wanted a program that would provide me the education to either work with adults or children.  Depending on your state, you may want to look into those requirements.  But if you don't want to work with children (or in a school) you don't have to consider it. :) 

I'm in the same boat as you are...deciding between NYU and a few other programs. Even though school websites have a lot of information, I am finding it hard to distinguish between them. I am also unable to attend admitted students day, which I think would be super helpful in making a decision!