What's your age when you apply for graduate program for the first time and when you get into one?

Pugislife

On 4/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, Psyche007 said:

I was a professional web developer when I moved from the UK to the US at 24. I didn't start undergrad until 31, lol.

I'm envious in some ways, in others, not so much. I'm married, established, and focused. Not that others aren't focused in their 20s, but I could imagine that sacrificing competing interests, such as social lives, sex, and romance, could make you feel like you're missing out. I've also had some time off work to care for a relative, so I've had enough free time to drive myself crazy.

I’m starting grad school this Fall semester at 40 ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 3:14 AM, IvanC said:

I’m starting grad school this Fall semester at 40 ?

Good for you! You have much to offer. I'm about to be a 3rd year and I'm 44, haha.

Word to the wise: don't look to the majority of your peers for support. They just won't get it. It's not their fault. Make a concerted effort to reach out, network, meet like-minded people with similar life experience.  You will probably be on a different developmental level, although there may be some exceptionally mature young people that can relate to you and vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...

Applied for a masters for the first time at 28. I only applied to one program at the time and I was rejected due to not enough courses and training in the field (I was wanting to make a career change from teaching to psychology). I went back to school at 29 to get a third undergraduate degree as I was determined to do anything to make my dreams a reality. At 32, I applied to a masters program and was admitted to multiple ones. By the time classes started, I was 33. I’ll finish my master’s degree at 35, and I’ll likely finish my PhD by or before 40. Being older has some added benefits. For me, my field isn’t just one that leads to a job or career. At this age and and stage, I’m sure my area of study is truly my life passion. I know I’m fulfilling my life purpose.

Edited by VanessaB

• 3 weeks later...

To note, I took an extra year in my undergrad (5 years vs. 4). I first applied to a clinical psychology MSc/PhD program at 23 and was rejected. I applied a second time at 24 years old and was accepted. I officially started my MSc when I was 25 and now I'm entering my PhD this September at 27 years old!

Canadian programs are different from the US, but I've been fully funded since I entered from both funding agencies and TA stipends from the university. But finances were a big thing I was considering when applying as well, in addition to my age.

In my experience, I've have peers who are both younger and older than me in my cohort - it doesn't really make too much of a difference between us. All-in-all, I am happy with my path and am glad I chose to pursue it.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2018 at 6:39 AM, euronymous_oystein said:

I was 21.5 when I applied, right now I am close to 22 (only a few months have passed ahaha) and I have offers from 5/9 universities that I applied to (3/9 are top schools, so I am not disappointed at all).

It is perfectly possible to apply for grad school at that age, keeping in mind that I am also an international applicant, but I really don't know how things are for the MA degree (where there are tuition fees), as I only applied for PhD. I realize that it might be tough for most of the parents to support financially their children in private institutions, or even in public ones.

In my opinion, don't worry about your age too much.

Wow, any tips? I'm turning 23 and still struggling. I don't think I can go straight to a doctoral program because I've always been a below average student. I'm looking for M.A. programs with high acceptance rates. If you have any advice for me that will be great!