Where should I take online prerequisites this summer?

Hi all!

I am planning to start a CSD Master's program this fall, but I am missing several prerequisites. I'd like to do at least a couple of them this summer -- whatever I don't finish, I'll take alongside my master's.

Do any of you have recommendations of where I could take these courses online this summer?

*If you've done these courses online before, please tell me how heavy of a workload it was and what the cost was!

These are the courses I'm missing:

Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Swallow Mechanisms
Introduction to Audiology and Aural Rehab
Language Development and Disorders in Children 
Speech Development and Disorders in Children 

Any info would be much appreciated!!

I think a lot of those are online at USU. It's super easy to apply to take classes there- it takes 20 minutes and I heard back 2 days after with acceptance (which I think is automatic)

8 minutes ago, DDolores said:

I think a lot of those are online at USU. It's super easy to apply to take classes there- it takes 20 minutes and I heard back 2 days after with acceptance (which I think is automatic)

Awesome, thank you! Have you heard anything about the difficulty of those courses/ the time commitment?

7 minutes ago, speech12345 said:

Awesome, thank you! Have you heard anything about the difficulty of those courses/ the time commitment?

No, but I know there's a pretty big Facebook group for USU online. They might be able to help more.

I am doing USU right now. They are no harder than any of my other undergrad courses were. I have a 4.0 so how hard can they be? I did have to do some group projects though which can be challenging when people are from different states and you can’t physically track them down when they don’t do their work.

1 hour ago, HollyG said:

I am doing USU right now. They are no harder than any of my other undergrad courses were. I have a 4.0 so how hard can they be? I did have to do some group projects though which can be challenging when people are from different states and you can’t physically track them down when they don’t do their work.

Ok, that's great! Around how many hours of work per course would you say that you put in each week?

It is hard to say how many hours a week I put in for each course because it varies. I am taking four courses and sometimes I only have things due in one or two during one week. Around midterms and finals it gets a little hectic with all the studying and papers due, but overall if you have good time management and focus on one assignment or test at a time you should be fine. Also I am a slower reader than most people, so if I can do it I’m sure you can too.

13 hours ago, HollyG said:

It is hard to say how many hours a week I put in for each course because it varies. I am taking four courses and sometimes I only have things due in one or two during one week. Around midterms and finals it gets a little hectic with all the studying and papers due, but overall if you have good time management and focus on one assignment or test at a time you should be fine. Also I am a slower reader than most people, so if I can do it I’m sure you can too.

Sounds good! Thank you so much!

13 hours ago, HollyG said:

Also -- did you look into Longwood ever? Have you heard anything about their courses?

@speech12345 I am also in a similar situation. If I were to attend one of the programs I was admitted to, I would have to take those same classes online this summer. I am trying to figure out if that amount of work in a more condensed time period will be too overwhelming. If anyone has taken multiple classes online over the summer I would love to hear more information about your experience!

On 3/27/2018 at 9:20 AM, speech12345 said:
Hi all!

I am planning to start a CSD Master's program this fall, but I am missing several prerequisites. I'd like to do at least a couple of them this summer -- whatever I don't finish, I'll take alongside my master's.

Do any of you have recommendations of where I could take these courses online this summer?

*If you've done these courses online before, please tell me how heavy of a workload it was and what the cost was!

If you decide to take them at USU, their summer semester is considered a normal semester like Fall and Spring. I think it’s about 14 weeks long (Fall and Spring are 16 weeks), so you can take 4 courses if you wanted to. I took 4 in the summer but I didn’t work. I believe summer starts in May so you’ll want to apply ASAP. 

On 3/27/2018 at 12:20 PM, speech12345 said:
Hi all!

I took those online at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire.  It's worth looking into them there because I think they're cheaper than other programs mentioned! 

21 hours ago, BeachySpeechy said:

If you decide to take them at USU, their summer semester is considered a normal semester like Fall and Spring. I think it’s about 14 weeks long (Fall and Spring are 16 weeks), so you can take 4 courses if you wanted to. I took 4 in the summer but I didn’t work. I believe summer starts in May so you’ll want to apply ASAP. 

Sounds good! Thank you so much!

11 hours ago, WesttoEast18 said:

I took those online at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire.  It's worth looking into them there because I think they're cheaper than other programs mentioned! 

Thanks so much for the idea! What was the workload like for those courses?

11 hours ago, speech12345 said:

Thanks so much for the idea! What was the workload like for those courses?

They vary so it's hard to say.  But they're online classes so it consists of reading, watching online lectures, doing discussion posts, and projects. 

4 hours ago, WesttoEast18 said:

They vary so it's hard to say.  But they're online classes so it consists of reading, watching online lectures, doing discussion posts, and projects. 

I didn't think the workload was overwhelming or anything.