2019 MPH CANADA

DAM

Hello, 

As Public Health applications will be opening soon (depending on when you're applying to of course) and being the thread for last year was already released months before this, I jumped the gun and thought a thread for us to discuss, share our thoughts, feelings, fears, and the trials and tribulations of Public Health applications would be helpful. I also find it helpful to know who's applying where I'm excited to start this journey and I'm hoping we all see acceptance letters/emails in under a year! 

Schools/programs I plan to apply to: 

UBC MPH

UBC MSc in PPH (already have my eye on a supervisor though)

SFU MPH

U of Manitoba MScPH

Edited by DAM
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there! 

Thank you so much for starting this. I've been hoping to connect with other people applying to MPH programs for the longest time, and I'm really happy that this forum exists!

So far I only plan to apply to SFU MPH and UBC MPH programs. 

I've also considered applying to the Master of Health Evaluation program at Waterloo, but I'm still unsure. I'm looking forward to seeing what programs others are interested in! :) 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

It's my pleasure I've also been wanting to connect with people so we can share issues.

So far my options have opened up and I'm looking away from U of Manitoba and facing U of Waterloo's MPH program, a friend also suggested MPH in Queens university and U of Guelph but I haven't been convinced, I'm also trying to find people already in the programs for their opinions and advice.

Hello! A little about me: 

I'm Brianna. I am finishing an undergraduate degree in Recreation Management & Community Development at the University of Manitoba! 

My cumulative GPA (because of my first two years of Uni not knowing what I wanted!) Is around 3.5/4.00 scale. 

My aGPA, while I haven't calculated yet, Will be far higher. I haven't received a grade in the past 60 credit hours below a B+ thankfully!

My statistics grade was B+. 

I  concentrated my electives in sociology courses, particularly the sociology of Health and Illness. 

In my undergrad, I worked for a mentoring program for Indigenous youth, that addresses barriers to their participation in physical activity, development of healthy relationships + nutrition! I conducted a literature review of Mentoring in Canada underneath the professor who created the program. 

I also worked for Big Brothers Big Sisters, and currently serve on their National Youth Advisory Council! I've been able to contribute ideas to youth policy at a federal level through this opportunity and travel within Canada :) 

I volunteered in a harm reduction clinic, helping them find grants and funding they can apply to. 

I am COMPLETELY uncertain if any of this and my experience could ever get me admitted to a Public Health program! I even feel sheepish creating an account here, as I know how extremely competitive and impressive most applicants are. But here I am! 

I would love to apply to the Health Promotion program at U of A, the Community Development specialization at U of T, but am open to any school, really. Any thoughts on if I should bother this year? Thanks <3  

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, MPHopeful_Brianna said:

Hello! A little about me: 

I'm Brianna. I am finishing an undergraduate degree in Recreation Management & Community Development at the University of Manitoba! 

My cumulative GPA (because of my first two years of Uni not knowing what I wanted!) Is around 3.5/4.00 scale. 

My aGPA, while I haven't calculated yet, Will be far higher. I haven't received a grade in the past 60 credit hours below a B+ thankfully!

My statistics grade was B+. 

I  concentrated my electives in sociology courses, particularly the sociology of Health and Illness. 

In my undergrad, I worked for a mentoring program for Indigenous youth, that addresses barriers to their participation in physical activity, development of healthy relationships + nutrition! I conducted a literature review of Mentoring in Canada underneath the professor who created the program. 

I also worked for Big Brothers Big Sisters, and currently serve on their National Youth Advisory Council! I've been able to contribute ideas to youth policy at a federal level through this opportunity and travel within Canada :)

I volunteered in a harm reduction clinic, helping them find grants and funding they can apply to. 

I am COMPLETELY uncertain if any of this and my experience could ever get me admitted to a Public Health program! I even feel sheepish creating an account here, as I know how extremely competitive and impressive most applicants are. But here I am! 

I would love to apply to the Health Promotion program at U of A, the Community Development specialization at U of T, but am open to any school, really. Any thoughts on if I should bother this year? Thanks <3  

Hello I'm also not so okay with my experiences, just the usual summer volunteer works cause I'm just about to round up my undergrad in public health and I'm just 19 but what I just want to say is you shouldn't limit yourself. Just try first and be hopeful, no harm in trying

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone, 

My name is Bill. I finished my Undergrad in 2017 in Biology with Trent University. 

My cumulative GPA is REAL LOW, 70.95 (believe this is like a 2.7?), while my final 2 years (20 course) is an 78 (3.5?). Assuming most schools just go by the last two years isn't great. I have seen that some schools do just go by the students last year (10course); in that case my average and GPA are 81 and 3.7, respectively. I had taken stats in my first year and had a 65, pretty below par for what many MPH programs are looking for. 

My final year of my undergrad I volunteered for a Lab for 6 months, nothing exciting. while working random retail jobs. For sure wish I wish i had volunteered more, however where my school was located there were not many opportunities, maybe i didn't look hard enough. 

After my undergrad I did a post-grad through Humber. Finished with an 86 average, however most importantly the stats course I had to take during the year i finished with an 80, significantly better. Seeing as I'm not a dumb kid anymore. Currently working as clinical researcher for a research clinic. hoping that this can bring in some relevant experience.  

In terms of schools i'd be interested in going to; UofT dalla lama, Queens, York, McMaster,  Guelph, Dalhousie. I haven't really looked into programs in the western side of Canada either. 

I know for me my biggest concerns are my grades, as being a stupid kid was really stupid, and am hopeful that i can speak to the schools admins before hand to try and get a grasp and if they would even consider my grades from Humber (if not then my hopes will most likely be crushed). The next hardest thing for me would be getting recommendation letters from profs I haven't spoken to in over a year now. 

If anyone has any input of what steps I should take, or help with reaching out to schools and teachers I'd be open to listen. Also with writing the GRE for UofT seems like a terribly long process. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all it's such a relief hearing from you all that we all are running in the same race?.As,I really wished to talk to someone regarding MPH because I came to know about this program just a few month backs but yes now with help of Google I have gathered information.But m just so upset with my aggregate of 78% (I have done b.pharmacy from India). So these low scores are limiting my dream of studying in a renowned University but if any of you may suggest Universities that would accept my application .I would cherish that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'm applying to quite a few MPH programs during this acceptance period, just to get a feel for how it works and in the unfortunate event that I don't get in, I'll probably be refocusing and working to upgrade my profile a bit. I thought I'd add my stats below and maybe get some feedback? Constructive criticism would be great!

My cGPA in my last two years of study is 3.23 - I studied at UWaterloo.

My statistics course average was quite horrible - I received a 60 - I was however dealing with my family member's passing during this time period so it was a bit of a mess overall. In the event that I don't receive an acceptance, I will be re-taking this course to hopefully boost my profile.

I have over a year of volunteer experience at a Women's Health Centre, and two years of work experience at the same Health Centre. 

I also have two years of work experience in healthcare, directly related to patient services and specialty pharmacy-related work. 

I have three academic references, and one professional reference and they are VERY strong, directing focus towards my work experience related to health-equity and my devotion to healthcare for marginalized communities. 

I also have a strong letter of intent - in the sense that I've had professors look at my work and they say it's strong - I don't think I'd be able to personally look at my own letter and judge it fairly. 

I'm applying to:

UWaterloo
McMaster
UWO
UofT
Brock
Queen's
MUN
SFU
UAlberta
UManitoba
UVic

TEN SCHOOLS - I know, I know - I just want to keep my options open and if there's even a remote chance I can get in this year, I would like to take it. Again, I wish everyone the best of luck this year! Please let me know if you have any feedback or constructive thoughts about my application - anything and everything would be helpful. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I stumbled upon this forum just from past searches of being on this route last year. I am currently doing my MPH at McMaster this year and if anyone has any questions about anything let me know. I know what the process is like and would be happy to help anyone out with questions :)

On 10/24/2018 at 6:17 AM, Emily_Ww said:

Hey everyone, I stumbled upon this forum just from past searches of being on this route last year. I am currently doing my MPH at McMaster this year and if anyone has any questions about anything let me know. I know what the process is like and would be happy to help anyone out with questions :)

Hello Emily

I also wish to apply for the MPH at McMasters but I have 78% in graduation (b pharmacy) so should I apply for the University as I am just at the borderline regarding my percentage?

On 10/28/2018 at 1:20 PM, Veeramrit said:

Hello Emily

I also wish to apply for the MPH at McMasters but I have 78% in graduation (b pharmacy) so should I apply for the University as I am just at the borderline regarding my percentage?

Hi! I definitely think you should still try!! My average going in from McGill was about a 3.6 GPA which I suppose is about an A-/A average. But if you have a lot of practical experience then that is a bonus! 

On 10/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, Veeramrit said:

Hello Emily

The grading system is different for different countries. I got into MPH in Canada with 63% in undergrad. It all depends on where you did your studies from. You can't compare Apple to oranges eh? So go ahead and apply :)

10 hours ago, Shd90 said:

The grading system is different for different countries. I got into MPH in Canada with 63% in undergrad. It all depends on where you did your studies from. You can't compare Apple to oranges eh? So go ahead and apply :)

Hello there! I am also interested in going to western. Would you mind telling me which schools you have got last year ? And are you domestic or international application ?

On 10/31/2018 at 1:08 AM, Emily_Ww said:

Hi! I definitely think you should still try!! My average going in from McGill was about a 3.6 GPA which I suppose is about an A-/A average. But if you have a lot of practical experience then that is a bonus! 

Hello Emily, I also planning apply for McGill this year! The gpa you mentioned is that the last two year or cumulative? Looking forwards to your reply?thanks!

15 hours ago, Shd90 said:

Now I will surely apply .. thank you ?

On 10/30/2018 at 10:38 PM, Emily_Ww said:

Ok.. thank you Emily?

Hi everyone,

So glad I found this page, i am only applying to UBC's MPH b/c I want to stay close to home. Im from the lower mainland

a little about me

i did my undergrad in Nursing at UBC-Okanagan

3rd/4th year GPAs were both 4.1

cumulative GPA is 4.0

my stats grade was A-

I think the highlight of my profile would be an international research practicum that I did in Brazil. I was lucky enough to co-author on a research journal that has been published in Brazil. 

Did a community internship at a public health center, where I helped nurses and doctors immunize children and marginalized populations.

served as an event coordinator during UBC THRIVE, and organized events to promote and build positive mental health for faculty and students at UBC.

Worked as supplemental learning leaders, research assistants, and teaching assistants throughout my undergrad years. 

I guess my profile is ok, but UBC's MPH is getting harder and harder to get in each year, I've read somewhere on this gradcafe that a prof got into YALE but was rejected by UBC's MPH??? Not sure what the admission committee is looking for in an applicant anymore. 

But best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!!

On 11/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, Mph201999 said:

thanks!but my cumulative is not as high as you.:( Only the last sixty credits is A level. Will that means it’s hard for me to get offer from McGill? 

I didn't get into McGill when I applied but:( that doesn't mean you shouldn't try! You may have more experience than me :) I was also coming from McGill with an undergrad in environmental science

6 hours ago, Emily_Ww said:

I didn't get into McGill when I applied but:( that doesn't mean you shouldn't try! You may have more experience than me :) I was also coming from McGill with an undergrad in environmental science

Thanks! I thought you are in McGill mph program lol.