SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

On 6/26/2018 at 4:42 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

so the contest has opened today. Does anyone know what is the font required for the research proposal? 

Times New Roman 12 

• 1 month later...

I am so confused about where it is that I have to submit my application. I am currently a student at McGill But want to pursue a doctorat at Ottawa. SSHRC is not clear in their guidelines about who it is that I have to send it to (they talk about universities that have quota, but both McGill and Ottawa have quotas). They keep sending me back to their guidelines and I tell them that I have read them but that it is still unclear to me. My feeling is that I have to submit at Ottawa but I don't want to send my application at the wrong place and have it disqualified. 

This is what it says on their website:

Statut du candidat Où soumettre la demande
À l’automne 2018, le candidat est en congé autorisé ou inscrit à un programme menant à l’obtention d’un diplôme d’un établissement d’enseignement postsecondaire canadien qui a un quota. établissement auquel le candidat est inscrit à l’heure actuelle
À l’automne 2018, le candidat est inscrit à un programme menant à l’obtention d’un diplôme d’un établissement d’enseignement postsecondaire canadien qui n’a pas de quota. CRSH
À l’automne 2018, le candidat est inscrit à un programme menant à l’obtention d’un diplôme d’un établissement étranger*. CRSH
À l’automne 2018, le candidat n’est pas inscrit à un programme menant à l’obtention d’un diplôme d’un établissement d’enseignement postsecondaire canadien, mais il a l’intention d’entreprendre des études de doctorat. CRSH

At the doctoral level, universities submit candidates to the national competition. When do you start your studies at Ottawa? (Have you been accepted already?) You can ask the graduate administrators in both programs when their internal deadlines are. At my university, I had to submit my application in October of last year. First my department ranked applications and forwarded some to the Faculty of Arts. Then the Faculty of Arts ranked applications and forwarded some (in accordance with their quota) to the national competition. So you'll have to see whether your department at McGill or Ottawa will consider your application. My suspicion is that McGill is less likely to do it as they would prefer a student who is planning to do their PhD at McGill.

19 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I haven't been accepted yet, the deadline is in January for a start in Fall 2019. 

Then I think you have to try at McGill since it is the "établissement auquel le candidat est inscrit à l’heure actuelle"

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem... I'm not sure whether I am supposed to submit my application to my current university, the university I am planning to attend (different than my current uni), or directly to SSHRC. I'm finding so much conflicting information - it's driving me insane! What did everyone else end up doing?

A bit of context: I'm in my second year of my Master's, and have not applied to/ been accepted to any PhD programs yet.

Edited by TooManyQuestions

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks,

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck and emotional fortitude in the coming months. I didn't make the first couple times I applied, then won unexpectedly. Regardless of your SSHRC outcome, I wish you all the best :)

Re: Adelaide and TooManyQuestions, it's probably more strategic to apply through your current university than to apply directly to SSHRC where you would compete with all applicants that have already out of school.

Yuzu

On 11/27/2018 at 3:16 PM, YuzuCat said:

Hello folks,

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck and emotional fortitude in the coming months. I didn't make the first couple times I applied, then won unexpectedly. Regardless of your SSHRC outcome, I wish you all the best :)

Re: Adelaide and TooManyQuestions, it's probably more strategic to apply through your current university than to apply directly to SSHRC where you would compete with all applicants that have already out of school.

Yuzu

Yes, I ended up applying to my current university.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, TBay said:

I'm so happy to be forwarded to SSHRC by my institution as of today.  Hopefully between a SSHRC and a Vanier nomination, one will work out for me.  Good luck to everyone! 

I don't know yet if I will be forwarded for SSHRC Doctoral, I hope I'll be. I applied to 4 scholarships just in case I don't get Vanier. 

Hello Canadian fellows!

It's wonderful to see a thread for SSHRC application. 

I have a quick question: I've already applied for SSHRC doctoral awards and I also need to apply for OGS for the same 2019-2020 competition. I wonder whether I can use the same proposal?

Thanks!