SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Anyone waiting for OGS? I thought I saw some posts that some students were awarded OGS already? Or maybe I am mixed up with old threads I read. I'm just worried whether cuts could be possible to OGS by the Ford government.

University of Guelph:

*University of Guelph 2019-20 OGS allocations will be updated above when they are confirmed by the ministry. 

University of Waterloo:

APRIL 23, 2019 UPDATE: The University of Waterloo has not yet received official communication from the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) regarding the number of OGS/QEII-GSST awards available for 2019-2020. As such, OGS and QEII-GSST award notification emails will be delayed and will not be sent to applicants on April 23, 2019 as originally anticipated. Please continue to check this page for updates. 

Western University:

*pending approval of allocations by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU)

3 hours ago, displaynamesarehard said:

I bit the bullet and emailed SSHRC to ask when they expected to mail the results and they still said the end of April, so it sounds like they're caught up. Sure wish they could be a bit more specific than "the end of April" though... some might consider now to be the end of April...

Thank you for emailing them!  That is great news.  So hopefully it will be mailed by next Tuesday and in our mail boxes by Thursday/Friday.  GOOD LUCK everyone!!

54 minutes ago, Kleio_77 said:

Anyone waiting for OGS? I thought I saw some posts that some students were awarded OGS already? Or maybe I am mixed up with old threads I read. I'm just worried whether cuts could be possible to OGS by the Ford government.

University of Guelph:

*University of Guelph 2019-20 OGS allocations will be updated above when they are confirmed by the ministry. 

University of Waterloo:

APRIL 23, 2019 UPDATE: The University of Waterloo has not yet received official communication from the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) regarding the number of OGS/QEII-GSST awards available for 2019-2020. As such, OGS and QEII-GSST award notification emails will be delayed and will not be sent to applicants on April 23, 2019 as originally anticipated. Please continue to check this page for updates. 

Western University:

*pending approval of allocations by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU)

I asked my financial aid office today.  They said OGS is delayed here too because they have to get information from the Province.  I asked if that meant there are going to be cuts and she said they don't know yet.  My school is still in adjudication and they are hoping to be able to have everything together in another 10-14 days and sent out once they have all the Provincial info.

Hi everyone, I'm waiting impatiently as well. I was wait listed last year and I really hope it works out for me this time around. One of my references isn't optimistic... ugh. Anyway, last year after sshrc tweeted I emailed my awards officer and they told me the results over email. So you must not have to wait for snail mail. The last 2 years I think sshrc tweeted the last friday of April so I hope this friday will be the day!

maybe off topic: does anyone remember how the beginning of a SSHRC award letter starts if it is a rejection, a waitlist or a successful award? I'm trying to mentally prepare for a rejection, but I forget what my last year's rejected letter with. Similarly, does a waitlist or award start with "congratulations or we are pleased to.." ? #anxiety 

Edited by Almond

7 hours ago, Almond said:

maybe off topic: does anyone remember how the beginning of a SSHRC award letter starts if it is a rejection, a waitlist or a successful award? I'm trying to mentally prepare for a rejection, but I forget what my last year's rejected letter with. Similarly, does a waitlist or award start with "congratulations or we are pleased to.." ? #anxiety 

I think mine said: 

"Thank you for wasting our time.  We enjoyed reading your ridiculous proposal and had many laughs.  Of course we have nothing to offer you except our pity.  Try not to get tears on the paper when you read your scores.  Good luck and remember, don't call us, we'll call you."

:)  ;)     Laughter is the best medicine!!!!  Don't worry.  If you receive funding, you will have some friends to celebrate with and if you don't you will still have some friends to commiserate with.  We are all in this together either way, no one is alone!!!

36 minutes ago, TBay said:

I think mine said: 

"Thank you for wasting our time.  We enjoyed reading your ridiculous proposal and had many laughs.  Of course we have nothing to offer you except our pity.  Try not to get tears on the paper when you read your scores.  Good luck and remember, don't call us, we'll call you."

:)  ;)     Laughter is the best medicine!!!!  Don't worry.  If you receive funding, you will have some friends to celebrate with and if you don't you will still have some friends to commiserate with.  We are all in this together either way, no one is alone!!!

Mine was similar. ;) 

The waitlist letter last year had "I regret to inform you ... " as the start of the 2nd paragraph. It then went on to say it was of high enough quality to be placed on a waitlist. I really wish it said something like: "Close, but no cigar." 

Awards like these are not a measure of our worth as scholars, the worth of our research, or our worth as humans on this planet. This is obviously important to remember when "I regret to inform" letters arrive, but I think it's equally important to remember if the other kind of letter arrives. 

22 hours ago, TBay said:

I asked my financial aid office today.  They said OGS is delayed here too because they have to get information from the Province.  I asked if that meant there are going to be cuts and she said they don't know yet.  My school is still in adjudication and they are hoping to be able to have everything together in another 10-14 days and sent out once they have all the Provincial info.

I am pretty concerned with all the government cuts. I wouldn’t be surprised if OGS was axed completely. But hey least there’s dollar beer /s. 

2 minutes ago, Vc187 said:

I am pretty concerned with all the government cuts. I wouldn’t be surprised if OGS was axed completely. But hey least there’s dollar beer /s. 

I also heard this at a meeting today... that OGS may be cut for Sept. due to govt cuts. ?

9 minutes ago, BibliophileSW said:

I also heard this at a meeting today... that OGS may be cut for Sept. due to govt cuts. ?

There are honestly more tragic cuts that have been going on, but this is still so sad. 

1 hour ago, BibliophileSW said:

Hi can you clarify, did you hear gossip among grad students in a meeting, or did you hear from administrative staff in a meeting that OGS will be cut (as in eliminated or as in expected to be reduced based on the ON gov agenda thus far)?
Yikes -- thanks!

4 minutes ago, elodie said:

Hi can you clarify, did you hear gossip among grad students in a meeting, or did you hear from administrative staff in a meeting that OGS will be cut (as in eliminated or as in expected to be reduced based on the ON gov agenda thus far)?
Yikes -- thanks!

I heard this from a PhD student.

1 minute ago, BibliophileSW said:

I heard this from a PhD student.

Ok, thank you. My institution is holding off on formal OGS results all together until May. My guess is that they still haven't heard from the Ministry as to how many they have. It seems at this point everyone is just speculating further cuts, though obviously (and unfortunately) we have good reason to expect this. 

16 minutes ago, elodie said:

Ok, thank you. My institution is holding off on formal OGS results all together until May. My guess is that they still haven't heard from the Ministry as to how many they have. It seems at this point everyone is just speculating further cuts, though obviously (and unfortunately) we have good reason to expect this. 

I didn't realize this was the case until today. I have OGS and really rely on it financially.

It's a huge concern.  I know the Province is delivering some of their education budgets today to schools, so perhaps that means Universities as well.  That would fit with the timeline I was told. My institution is not in a big city so there isn't very much part time work, either.  I suppose I could do some freelance writing, but it's so unreliable for income.  I actually have a book I am supposed to get royalties for, but it was uploaded online by a group in Russia, so I don't earn more than $20-30 a year for 4-5 years work.  :(

17 hours ago, BibliophileSW said:

I didn't realize this was the case until today. I have OGS and really rely on it financially.

Fingers crossed about OGS!

Related to SSHRC though, I saw last year people who had won Vanier got an email to decline their SSHRC Either the day or the day before SSHRC announced they mailed the results. So those of you who got Vanier, if you could do us a solid and let us know if you get an email like this it would be much appreciated! The worst part of this whole thing is the uncertainty around when we’ll know the results! I’ve made peace with the possibility of not getting it, but it’s still terrible to be in limbo.

59 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yes I declined SSHRC immediately after learning I got Vanier. We did get that email.

When did you get the email, if you don't mind sharing? This wait is infernal.

54 minutes ago, anon1234567 said:

When did you get the email, if you don't mind sharing? This wait is infernal.

Vanier I learned on April 1st. I don’t have any news for SSHRC. 

Thanks but I failed my masters thesis (learned the news yesterday). I have a month to resubmit. :( otherwise bye bye Vanier and PhD in September

1 minute ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Thanks but I failed my masters thesis (learned the news yesterday). I have a month to resubmit. :( otherwise bye bye Vanier and PhD in September

Omg I'm so sorry to read this. I remember how crazy the masters thesis is. Fingers crossed for you. I'm expecting sshrc is going to tweet tomorrow based on the last 2 years. Feeling incredibly stressed. 

11 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Oh no Adelaide!  I hope your re-submission goes better!  Take a deep breath and grab onto everyone in your support network to help you get through with determination.

Just now, Adelaide9216 said:

My department had even nominated me for a convocation award this graduation season. Oh well.. ? 

Don't feel so bad. You honestly can't control how your external reader will react (I also read your post on reddit). I'm a second year PhD and my advisor said he did not recommend a specific prof I was interested in for my committee because he is really critical and difficult. He would not have known this if that professor didn't invite him to his home university to help review one of his upcoming books. So I feel like I am dodging a bullet. It's not always a lack of skill, but sometimes problematic people. Work super hard this month and I'm sure everything will work out. ❤️