SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Just want to let you all know that Concordia has sent out emails to those who have received the scholarship. (They only notify the winners, which is pretty brutal imo.) 

This was my third year applying, so keep your hopes up. SSHRC does not determine your worth. That's not to say that those who get it don't deserve it, but rather that so many more people deserve it than get it. So many small things can play a factor. I know it's hard not to get down when you're relying on the money to support yourself, but just try to remember that there is more to life than SSHRC. 

Good luck everyone!

12 minutes ago, WKLP said:

I remember you from the Vanier forum, TBay. I guess we're both back in the ring ready for another potential bruising! I hope you get it, I'm not holding out much hope for myself. But at least I'll be able to stop bouncing between here, my university email, SSHRC twitter and the online tarot site! 

Lotus Tarot???  LOL.  I think we must be psychic twins!!!!  Good luck.  REALLY!  I hope you get a different answer this time.

Just now, fabula said:

U of A is not releasing results today. :( But it will be faster than snail mail, I’m guessing. 

Thanks for the update! Although I wish we could know already I can breathe a sigh of relief. At least no news *might* be good news!

I am also from Uvic, and according to my grad advisor, the emails have already been sent out. However, they were sent out only to the winners. So I guess that's not us this time. I am pretty devastated. My proposal was as good as I know how to make it, and the three professors who read it also thought it was excellent. I won a CGS Masters scholarship last year so this is quite an unpleasant surprise. I guess I'll re-apply in the fall. 

Edited by TheIrrelevant

Just now, TBay said:

Lotus Tarot???  LOL.  I think we must be psychic twins!!!!  Good luck.  REALLY!  I hope you get a different answer this time.

Hell yeah. Lotus is good. I always get that awful guy with the swords in his head on Facade Tarot, so I've been keeping well away from that site. But I basically just keep doing them until I get an outcome that doesn't involved skeletons or weeping children. I was born on Friday the 13th, so luck isn't my strong point, heh.

22 minutes ago, WKLP said:

I remember you from the Vanier forum, TBay. I guess we're both back in the ring ready for another potential bruising! I hope you get it, I'm not holding out much hope for myself. But at least I'll be able to stop bouncing between here, my university email, SSHRC twitter and the online tarot site! 

Literally EXACTLY what I'm doing. 

3 hours ago, bamsquirrels said:

Ok, I was lurking just to keep tabs on the timeline but I find this justification ironic coming from someone with Angela Davis as a profile pic who also just won a 50k/year scholarship. I try not to have a crab bucket mentality about funding, but this attitude bothers me. Check your privilege, people. Don't justify a broken system, it's a crapshoot for everyone. Play the game, but don't let the game infect your mind.

Less than 10% of applicants are awarded SSHRC. The odds are even worse for other scholarships, and major funding bodies in other countries. NSF used to award 1 out of every 3 applications, and it's down to less than SSHRC levels. This is a result of systematic budget cuts for decades from conservative governments. Many, many, MANY applications from excellent projects do not make the cut. I may have been up for a number of other prestigious scholarships, but I definitely recognize that my success in previous applications has more to do with luck and institutional support rather than merit. That is just the reality of academia today. Not only that, but institutional discrimination works against a lot of us. People who have the time and money (or debt) to apply to scholarships tend to win more scholarships later on.

As for running out of funds: Take it from someone who had a multi-year gap between degrees - there is far more to life than academia. Financially, you statistically would be better off working anyway. You should feel proud of yourselves for even making this far to the point of applying to SSHRC. There are other sources of funds. And if you do not manage to get OGS or any other backups, you will be ok if you have to downgrade or move on. Academia tends to create an insular environment where we can lose sight of how much we have accomplished already, because we're used to being surrounded by high achievers and being in a high pressure environment that encourages perfectionism. Only 2-4% of the world's population holds a doctorate degree. If you find yourself working 3-4 jobs (been there) and piling on the debt to stay in (and I mean maxing out debt), there is no shame in leveraging your skills (you do have them!) to find work in industry, non-profits, or government. The PhD is a great pursuit, but it is not the only option to achieve success and fulfillment.

You're absolutely right! We should also not care so much about 'prestige' or how 'prestigious' an award is. We are all incredible for undertaking a PhD in the first place - regardless if we finish or move on to other/better things. Thanks for this! 

6 minutes ago, TheIrrelevant said:

I am also from Uvic, and according to my grad advisor, the emails have already been sent out. However, they were sent out only to the winners. So I guess that's not us this time. I am pretty devastated. My proposal was as good as I know how to make it, and the three professors who read it also thought it was excellent. I won a CGS Masters scholarship last year so this is quite an unpleasant surprise. I guess I'll re-apply in the fall. 

Well that sucks big time. :( 

It's a surprise for me as well, tbqh. I have quite a lot of conference presentations, some publications, a grant for knowledge mobilization, and I did win the SSHRC CGS-M a few years back. I wonder if it is because my grant comes from CIHR -- I did make sure to make my proposal and all my documents very SSHRC-y (approved by 3 faculty members as well) and I was told my grant would only benefit me (and not cause me "trouble")... but I wonder, now, if that could be why I wasn't successful....

Edited by inableakvision

To anyone else who didn't get it - dust yourself off and just re-apply in the fall. There just aren't enough funds to fund every good piece of research, so someone has to lose, regardless of how good their work might be. But that doesn't mean that we can't get it next time around. Good luck in the future!

Edited by TheIrrelevant

5 minutes ago, inableakvision said:

Well that sucks big time. :( 

It's a surprise for me as well, tbqh. I have quite a lot of conference presentations, some publications, a grant for knowledge mobilization, and I did win the SSHRC CGS-M a few years back. I wonder if it is because my grant comes from CIHR -- I did make sure to make my proposal and all my documents very SSHRC-y (approved by 3 faculty members as well) and I was told my grant would only benefit me (and not cause me "trouble")... but I wonder, now, if that could be why I wasn't successful....

I know how it feels, especially after this grueling wait, but you just gotta re-apply. Best of luck in the future! 

6 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

Anyone heard from UWaterloo yet?  I just talked to the other person from our department who was sent out nationally and she hasn't heard anything either.  So either we're both out or nothing yet.  ?

I have not heard from Waterloo and I just found out a few minutes ago from the chair of my department that she hasn't heard anything as well. 

Edited by Kleio_77