SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

15 minutes ago, inableakvision said:

Well that sucks big time. :( 

It's a surprise for me as well, tbqh. I have quite a lot of conference presentations, some publications, a grant for knowledge mobilization, and I did win the SSHRC CGS-M a few years back. I wonder if it is because my grant comes from CIHR -- I did make sure to make my proposal and all my documents very SSHRC-y (approved by 3 faculty members as well) and I was told my grant would only benefit me (and not cause me "trouble")... but I wonder, now, if that could be why I wasn't successful....

I have similar concerns. My topic is mostly social, but uses methods that are more common in health/science, and definitely has applications for these fields. Combined with publications and presentations that are obviously health-focused, I wonder if I came across as just applying to SSHRC because it’s easier than CIHR (even though I had SSHRC CGS-M). 

But oh well. I’ll try again in the fall with a stronger application. 

31 minutes ago, TBay said:

Lotus Tarot???  LOL.  I think we must be psychic twins!!!!  Good luck.  REALLY!  I hope you get a different answer this time.

Hell yeah. Lotus is good. I always get that awful guy with the swords in his head on Facade Tarot, so I've been keeping well away from that site. But I basically just keep doing them until I get an outcome that doesn't involved skeletons or weeping children. I was born on Friday the 13th, so luck isn't my strong point, heh.

Has anyone heard from Queen's yet? I am trying to figure out if they email the winners, or if they're like UofT and don't bother. I am worreid that because I don't have an email yet it means that I didn't get it. TBH, I would be happy if it just came by snail mail.

42 minutes ago, fabula said:

U of A is not releasing results today. :( But it will be faster than snail mail, I’m guessing. 

just to confirm - FGSR said they wouldn't tell you today? Did they seem to imply they would email you at any point or did they say wait for the letter? Also from U of A haha.... 

1 hour ago, KaliLogan said:

Congratulations!!! May I ask what institution? If it's the same as mine, I'll pay closer attention to my email today (ie: procrastinating my thesis). 

1 hour ago, displaynamesarehard said:

I was literally just about to write that I’ve lost hope for today! I’m definitely on the edge of my seat now.

Also congratulations! You must be ecstatic!

1 hour ago, fabula said:

Congratulations! Time to celebrate!

Do you mind sharing the name of your institution? 

Thank you!! ?  My institution is SFU. Nothing via letter-mail yet. They stated in their email that "letters are on their way". 

Best of luck to everyone!!

Just now, PsycGrad03 said:

I just got an email from York indicating that I was placed on the waiting list... Does anyone know how likely it is that an award might become available?

If you are high up the chance is good from what I have read in past years.  There are quite a few awards not accepted because students have won Vanier.  I think one person just found out they got it from last year's waiting list only a month or so ago, so it can be a long wait.

Just heard from my admin at UBC "I'm sorry but your SSHRC application was unsuccessful". This is my third time applying and starting to believe in some SSHRC conspiracy and that I will never win. I know it's just a crapshoot and they can't give everyone an award who may deserve an award, but it still stings. Just to keep everyone in the loop on what an unsuccessful application may look like and perhaps help others applying in the future in the field of planning: In my second year of the program, applied last year and was waitlisted with a score of 11.3/20. I won't know the score until the letter is here. This time around I have 2 first author publications to top journals, 2 first author papers in submission to top journals and 6 national conference presentations.

Edited by Bmay
Added last years results

5 minutes ago, PsycGrad03 said:

I just got an email from York indicating that I was placed on the waiting list... Does anyone know how likely it is that an award might become available?

On top of Vanier, it’s also common for people to get the CGS, but downgrade to the fellowship because they’re in the US. In that case, someone with the fellowship is upgrade to CGS and someone on the waitlist will get the fellowship. 

5 minutes ago, Bmay said:

Just heard from my admin at UBC "I'm sorry but your SSHRC application was unsuccessful". This is my third time applying and starting to believe in some SSHRC conspiracy and that I will never win. I know it's just a crapshoot and they can't give everyone an award who may deserve an award, but it still stings. Just to keep everyone in the loop on what an unsuccessful application may look like and perhaps help others applying in the future in the field of planning: In my second year of the program, 2 first author publications to top journals, 2 first author papers in submission to top journals and 6 national conference presentations.

If this is your experience, then there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I will amass this kind of research experience by next fall when I have to apply again. I had nowhere near this kind of experience this time around, and will likely not have it by then. 

Edited by TheIrrelevant

2 minutes ago, Bmay said:

Just heard from my admin at UBC "I'm sorry but your SSHRC application was unsuccessful". This is my third time applying and starting to believe in some SSHRC conspiracy and that I will never win. I know it's just a crapshoot and they can't give everyone an award who may deserve an award, but it still stings. Just to keep everyone in the loop on what an unsuccessful application may look like and perhaps help others applying in the future in the field of planning: In my second year of the program, 2 first author publications to top journals, 2 first author papers in submission to top journals and 6 national conference presentations.

I want to add to your point here - I only have second author publications and a proposal that, frankly, isn't going to change the world in any meaningful way AT ALL, but was awarded little SSHRC. I think they're looking for really strong research methods and feasibility more than anything else. It's SUCH a crapshoot. And for me, not really of financial benefit because my institutional funding package will get adjusted. The only real upside to getting the award (for programs that are already funded) is not having to apply again. 

2 minutes ago, Clinpsyc01 said:

On top of Vanier, it’s also common for people to get the CGS, but downgrade to the fellowship because they’re in the US. In that case, someone with the fellowship is upgrade to CGS and someone on the waitlist will get the fellowship. 

Ohh really? I didn't know they could upgrade from little SSHRC to big SSHRC like that. Is this common?

Just now, TheIrrelevant said:

If this is your experience, then there is not a snowball's chance in hell that I will amass this kind of research experience by next fall when I have to apply again. I had nowhere near this kind of experience this time around, and will likely not have it by then. 

I think it’s hard to predict successful applications because it’s so random. I know people who have gotten SSHRC with no publications/presentations, lower GPA, etc. while some of the most qualified people I know have been rejected. 

Just now, KaliLogan said:

Ohh really? I didn't know they could upgrade from little SSHRC to big SSHRC like that. Is this common?

Probably not super common, but you can’t take the CGS out of the country so anyone studying at a foreign university has to downgrade, which frees up the bigger award for someone else.

2 minutes ago, KaliLogan said:

I want to add to your point here - I only have second author publications and a proposal that, frankly, isn't going to change the world in any meaningful way AT ALL, but was awarded little SSHRC. I think they're looking for really strong research methods and feasibility more than anything else. It's SUCH a crapshoot. And for me, not really of financial benefit because my institutional funding package will get adjusted. The only real upside to getting the award (for programs that are already funded) is not having to apply again. 

What methods did you state out of curiosity? 

Just got word from UBC that I won doctoral CGS!  Could not be more happy. Rejected first as an incoming PhD student. Applied (and rejected) again in my first year, but then failed comps and was kicked out of the program. Considered dropping out of academia all together but decided to stay and transfer to another PhD program. It's been hard accepting so much failure (especially comps), but winning SSHRC has finally given me some confidence back. Good luck to all!

Just now, Bmay said:

What methods did you state out of curiosity? 

Apologies - I might have misspoken. What I meant was that the research design has integrity and that there wouldn't be too many feasibility issues with the design. That you're able to address any potential methodological gaps in your project and that you're "thinking ahead" in terms of any roadblocks to your research. 

So based on your academic profile, how likely is it that you would be able to carry out this research? My project is essentially developing a new coding tool for a pre-existing clinical interview. Nothing fancy and nothing earth shattering, but totally do-able. To the best of my understanding, that's the main thing they look for. 

1 minute ago, mosquitonomics said:

Just got word from UBC that I won doctoral CGS!  Could not be more happy. Rejected first as an incoming PhD student. Applied (and rejected) again in my first year, but then failed comps and was kicked out of the program. Considered dropping out of academia all together but decided to stay and transfer to another PhD program. It's been hard accepting so much failure (especially comps), but winning SSHRC has finally given me some confidence back. Good luck to all!

Outstanding!!! Ah so happy for you!!

3 minutes ago, mosquitonomics said:

Congrats! 

13 minutes ago, mosquitonomics said:

Congratulations!!