SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

1 hour ago, tov said:

hey all, direct applicant here—do any of you know when we can expect to receive results in the states? you think sshrc will let us know if we email directly? 

wishing everyone luck ?

Direct applicants will get the results by snail mail. It sounds like the paper mail was posted this morning, so likely Friday or Monday in Canada. 

2 hours ago, Almond said:

just to confirm - FGSR said they wouldn't tell you today? Did they seem to imply they would email you at any point or did they say wait for the letter? Also from U of A haha.... 

Yes, fgsr *seemed to imply* they would send emails later in the week. (I read the email again. They only *seem to imply* this. No promises.)

I think (at least in previous years) they email the recipients. They did not (last year) email those on the wait list. (I learned about the wait list by paper mail.)

@Almond Had you emailed? Have you heard anything? 

Edited by fabula

Curious if others who won CGS would consider sharing their research contributions? (Myself [offered CGS] - one first author publication; 2 papers under review [one first author, one sole-author]; 5 presentations). 

Just now, SSHRC said:

Curious if others who won CGS would consider sharing their research contributions? (Myself [offered CGS] - one first author publication; 2 papers under review [one first author, one sole-author]; 5 presentations). 

Three second author, one third author, and handful of conference presentations (maybe 6 or 7) and a handful of unpublished manuscripts. I declined CIHR in my Master's (didn't end up going to that school). Some other very small monetary awards. 

6 minutes ago, KaliLogan said:

Three second author, one third author, and handful of conference presentations (maybe 6 or 7) and a handful of unpublished manuscripts. I declined CIHR in my Master's (didn't end up going to that school). Some other very small monetary awards. 

Wow! Congrats on your award!! Out of curiosity, did you get a score?

Edited by SSHRC

12 minutes ago, PsycGrad03 said:

When did you end up hearing back about the wait list?

I never did leave the wait list. :(  But it sounds like I will live in hope for a few more days on this year’s competition. 

Edit: I heard that I was on the wait list when I received the letter from SSHRC. I then emailed SSHRC to find out my ranking (i.e. where I was on the wait list). I didn't hear anything after that. I applied in the fall (obviously) and here I am waiting to hear about this year's results. 

Edited by fabula

Just now, SSHRC said:

Wow! Congrats on your award!! Out of curiosity, did you get a score?

Nope. This is my first doctoral award so I didn't even know that we got scores until lurking on this forum. My understanding is that it will come in the mail? Again, this is my understanding from this forum. I have no outside knowledge. Just happy not ever having to (ie: being able to) apply again. 

1 minute ago, KaliLogan said:

Nope. This is my first doctoral award so I didn't even know that we got scores until lurking on this forum. My understanding is that it will come in the mail? Again, this is my understanding from this forum. I have no outside knowledge. Just happy not ever having to (ie: being able to) apply again. 

Yeah - me too, haha. No idea about the scores until this forum. Wait and see, I guess ?

Can anyone provide any insight on waitlist movement, from experience or otherwise? If I remember correctly, my committee last year was something like 1-70 awarded, 70-108 waitlisted, and 109-170 unsuccessful. If someone had a general idea or access to stats on waitlist movement that would help some of us waitlisted people manage our hope/stress once we know our scores. Thx!  congrats to the winners

Hello,

I applied directly to SSHRC. I am completing my masters this semester at a different institution. I have been accepted into a PhD program at University of Manitoba. I recieved a weird email from UofM about an hour ago asking me if was planning on holding ‘the award’ there? It did not specify SSHRC... just said ‘the award’. 

When I clarified what award as I did not receive any promises of funding from UofM, the person said ‘Nevermind, please delete’ and has not responded to my follow up email.

As an external applicant that put UofM as the school I was planning on attending for my PhD in Fall, would they receive SSHRC info about my application???? Just so weird they emailed me today and then back pedaled... however I do not want to get my hopes up about a SSHRC.

Edited by IndgStudies1234

4 hours ago, tov said:

hey all, direct applicant here—do any of you know when we can expect to receive results in the states? you think sshrc will let us know if we email directly? 

wishing everyone luck ?

I lived in the US before and found that mail took about seven to ten days.  Good luck!  I’m a direct applicant, too, so this wait is... annoying.

46 minutes ago, WestCoastEagle said:

I don’t have experience with this, but the website says they will not provide results over the phone or by email.  

I am also in the States and emailed them in the morning. They said that they cannot share the results over the phone or by email. So I guess we should just wait! though I really don't understand how costly is it to create an online portal for this thing....

2 hours ago, Interesting said:

I am also in the States and emailed them in the morning. They said that they cannot share the results over the phone or by email. So I guess we should just wait! though I really don't understand how costly is it to create an online portal for this thing....

I agree.  Since a portal exists for other awards and for applicants channeled through institutions, it is a bit difficult to understand why there isn’t an online system for direct applicants.  

I’m tempted to email and ask what my score was from my committee as a way to try to get the results before my letter arrives, but I’m resisting the urge. 

Apparently the portal can be difficult to access at busy times or something.  My financial aid person has not been able to get on yet.  That could be why some schools don't even bother, especially if they only have one person and not a big department with multiple people who can access it.  I thought this might be good information to have for people waiting and even for people next year trying to figure out why their school isn't getting info from the portal.

Nothing in the regular mail today for me.  My financial aid officer still can't get on the portal and is slammed with acceptances from incoming students so she can't try all day, I'm sure.  She actually emailed me last night at 9 pm to let me know she hadn't checked the portal and to hang in.  I appreciate her a lot and will try to wait patiently.