SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Just now, IndgStudies1234 said:

Would institutions have results on direct applicants? I.e. if I put a specific school that I plan to take my PhD at in fall on my SSHRC, would that institution have received results about my application?

I don't think so.  The article I read said you can only get the results through the portal if you apply through the school.  There is a link to it about a page back.

8 minutes ago, TBay said:

I don't think so.  The article I read said you can only get the results through the portal if you apply through the school.  There is a link to it about a page back.

I can confirm that when I applied as a direct applicant two years ago my institution did not have my results, and I had to wait 7+ days for it to arrive in the mail as SSHRC would not communicate results by email until I had received my letter.

Edited by elodie
added "ago"

24 minutes ago, TheorySis said:

Has anyone heard results from Western yet? ? My Student Centre still says 'nominated'

17 minutes ago, displaynamesarehard said:

Same here. I emailed Paula Cameron yesterday but also haven't heard back yet.

Good luck, fellow Westerners! I’ll let you know if/when I hear anything. Same boat over here.

:( That makes me sad. Yesterday, I received an email from the school I accepted my offer to asking if I was planning on holding my award there - it did not specify SSHRC or any specific award - but when I asked for more details they said nevermind please delete. I had hopes they may have known my SSHRC results. Its extra crappy that I received the email on the day of the results as it totally had my hopes raised.

Edited by IndgStudies1234

17 hours ago, IndgStudies1234 said:

Hello,

I applied directly to SSHRC. I am completing my masters this semester at a different institution. I have been accepted into a PhD program at University of Manitoba. I recieved a weird email from UofM about an hour ago asking me if was planning on holding ‘the award’ there? It did not specify SSHRC... just said ‘the award’. 

When I clarified what award as I did not receive any promises of funding from UofM, the person said ‘Nevermind, please delete’ and has not responded to my follow up email.

As an external applicant that put UofM as the school I was planning on attending for my PhD in Fall, would they receive SSHRC info about my application???? Just so weird they emailed me today and then back pedaled... however I do not want to get my hopes up about a SSHRC.

Wow , I am so sorry this happened to you!

54 minutes ago, IndgStudies1234 said:

:( That makes me sad. Yesterday, I received an email from the school I accepted my offer to asking if I was planning on holding my award there - it did not specify SSHRC or any specific award - but when I asked for more details they said nevermind please delete. I had hopes they may have known my SSHRC results. Its extra crappy that I received the email on the day of the results as it totally had my hopes raised.

Is the school where you are doing your Masters in Canada?

Still waiting from Queen's... or maybe what I did was a direct application so it will only come in the mail. There wasn't a portal for Queen's, just the SSHRC portal which I printed my application off from. Fingers crossed that I get my results in the mail by Friday because the suspense is killing me ?

Just now, MadAcademic said:

Still waiting from Queen's... or maybe what I did was a direct application so it will only come in the mail. There wasn't a portal for Queen's, just the SSHRC portal which I printed my application off from. Fingers crossed that I get my results in the mail by Friday because the suspense is killing me ?

Also waiting on Queen's! As far as I know we aren't considered direct applicants because Queen's has a quota they can nominate for the national competition. I'm not sure if they email the successful recipients or if they just wait for the mailed results to show up. At this point I just want the results (good or bad) so that I can get back to being somewhat productive on my dissertation proposal!

41 minutes ago, MadAcademic said:

14 minutes ago, digitalethnographer said:

Also waiting on Queen's! As far as I know we aren't considered direct applicants because Queen's has a quota they can nominate for the national competition. I'm not sure if they email the successful recipients or if they just wait for the mailed results to show up. At this point I just want the results (good or bad) so that I can get back to being somewhat productive on my dissertation proposal!

My understanding is that depending on your year/situation, you could be either. I would (will? ?) hold my award at UofT, which has a quota, but I was a direct applicant because I was not yet accepted to UofT (or otherwise affiliated with another institution) when I applied. Which means that, like the other direct applicants, I'm waiting for the postal worker!

NB: if you're living in Kingston I think your odds of getting mail from Ottawa before the end of the week are better than most! ?

Edited by angrycrustacean

1 hour ago, TBay said:

Is the school where you are doing your Masters in Canada?

Yes I am doing it at Lakehead in Thunder Bay. I applied directly as I am planning on going to the University of Manitoba this fall for PhD.

Just now, IndgStudies1234 said:

Yes I am doing it at Lakehead in Thunder Bay. I applied directly as I am planning on going to the University of Manitoba this fall for PhD.

Did they change that?  I had to apply for the 2017-2018 through the university where I was doing my Masters even though I was going somewhere else.  Anyway, good luck!!

14 minutes ago, TBay said:

Did they change that?  I had to apply for the 2017-2018 through the university where I was doing my Masters even though I was going somewhere else.  Anyway, good luck!!

I have no idea, this is my first year applying and did it the way my program coordinator told me. I mailed it in.

im just really hoping that I wasn’t advised wrong.

1 hour ago, kenzitronic said:

Hey U of A folks, I just got an email from FGSR that I was successful for CGS-D (*extended sigh of relief*) so hopefully lots of other folks getting good news this morning! Anyone else?

Hey congrats!!! Mine stated CGS-D too. Is that the 35,000 per year one?