SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Just now, WKLP said:

I'm waitlisting with a score of 12.55

You must be high up on the waitlist with that score WKLP.  You should email to check where you are ranked because the top people often get it due to people turning it down if they got Vanier, another award, or a variety of other reasons.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

I've created a Google Sheet to track relevant awards information, if anyone wants to add their information. (All identifying information is optional, obviously)

LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t69LNyYhZv9jj6I8dPrt7m-9VZVluqRPyMtGwraNOF8/edit?usp=sharing

From the answers I've gotten from SSHRC in the past, it seems that waitlist placement is dependant on committee (as are the scores that it takes to be awarded either a CGS-D or a SSHRC Doctoral Award).

DISCLAIMER: I have not received my letter this year, so I don't actually know where I stand right now, other than that my application was forwarded to Ottawa in January.

14 minutes ago, TBay said:

You must be high up on the waitlist with that score WKLP.  You should email to check where you are ranked because the top people often get it due to people turning it down if they got Vanier, another award, or a variety of other reasons.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

Oh wow, TBay, congrats on your award!! Holy cow that's good news. I was rooting for you! I'm coming back to university after many years away and so while I have a couple of books published etc. my grades (from the UK) weren't stellar way back when. I was pretty upset but I'm over it now. It's awkward coming back to school. I don't know about waitlist, some with higher scores were waitlisted last year and didn't get it. I'll email them though! 

4 hours ago, BibliophileSW said:

Also hopeful it reaches Toronto today! I'm sitting waiting for Canada Post... I see the person walking around the neighbourhood but not at my place yet....

Inasmuch as SSHRC hasn't actually announced the completion of mailing on Twitter, I'm wondering if the letters were/are actually sent out in waves, as opposed to all at once. I'm not sure how they would determine mailing order but that might account for anomalies like why Montreal heard but Toronto (mostly) hasn't, etc.

...of course, I'm saying this mostly to rationalize my hopes for getting a letter today in Edmonton even though those closer to Ottawa haven't yet. ?

Edited by angrycrustacean

Just now, angrycrustacean said:

Inasmuch as SSHRC hasn't actually announced mailing on Twitter, I'm wondering if the letters were/are actually sent out in waves, as opposed to all at once. I'm not sure how they would determine mailing order but that might account for anomalies like why Montreal heard but Toronto (mostly) hasn't, etc.

...of course, I'm saying this mostly to rationalize my hopes for getting a letter today in Edmonton even though those closer to Ottawa haven't yet. ?

In response to your theory, Toronto typically takes longer to receive SSHRC letters year after year, I'm guessing because of the population density. It's not unusual for people in BC to have received their letters before GTA.

1 minute ago, elodie said:

In response to your theory, Toronto typically takes longer to receive SSHRC letters year after year, I'm guessing because of the population density. It's not unusual for people in BC to have received their letters before GTA.

That makes sense too, and sounds especially good to me out west!

Wow, my score was dismal. 7.35/20. Feedback would have been very helpful--I'm not really sure what the issues might have been. Two co-authoured publications, good fit with the department and supervisor, assurances that the letters were very strong, and I got a lot of green lights from reviewers on the proposal. Good thing I applied for OGS as well (as an afterthought--I was getting a lot of good feedback!) Side note, if you're in London, chances are your results have been mailed.

Received my letter today. I was evaluated in committee 3, scored 14.6/20, and received CGS-D! This should be near the low end of CGS-D, so hopefully this sheds some light on scores. :)

3 hours ago, paperdoorway said:

Congrats to everyone! I must be the only person here that hasn't received the letter yet (in Toronto - East York/Scarborough area). Sigh...

I'm living in your area and haven't received anything either! 

Waitlisted (Committee 1) with a 12.5.

Thanks for all the updates along the way, pals!

And congratulations to everyone for committing to this process! 

Edited by Anti:ialist

9 hours ago, Interesting said:

Same here, I am also in  GTA. No mail yet! Hopefully Monday is the day...

Congrats to everyone so far! In Toronto and still haven't learned my results. Hope tomorrow is the day!

gahhh from U of A and know I won but still no letter - anybody in Edmonton still not receive their letter? I'm getting worried it was lost and I need to scan it and send it to my school to start payments! 

Just received my envelope.  It was brown and larger than last year's rejection.  I scored 15.4 and received CGS-D.  So for those who are worried that they didn't get it and scored low, let me tell you, I know how you feel, as that was me last year.  Last year applying as I completed my MA, I only scored I think 6.5.  My project tightened up, especially my theory and methods and I got more help looking over the program of study and worked on it over the summer.  *** I was more careful to research and send to the correct committee this time (I chose very poorly last year and really got it wrong).  I have a published (non-peer reviewed) book which was reviewed in a journal, opened a small interpretive center, have about 5 conferences and am spearheading a conference.  The new things are finishing my Master's degree and Master's thesis and working in another museum researching and writing interpretive panels, one more conference, plus the one I started spearheading this year.  Everyone here should be proud to be selected at the institutional level and you have a major advantage going forward in your studies by developing your program of study.  Apply again!!!  I read that 30% who applied a second time got funding, and my supervisor said he got awards on the 3rd try each time.  Believe in yourself, because you have lots of people who believe in you.  It's tough but try to take it as a very solid start for a much stronger application next year and try to start early on revamping and getting help with edits and proof reading.  Every professor who looks it over will likely bring a different strength, so try to get 3-4.  

Edited by TBay
typo

On 5/2/2019 at 5:29 PM, anonsshrcjosephab said:

Hey guys,

To those who also got it, for acceptance, is it really as simple as just sending an email to the program contact on this page? http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/TriRTA-TriBFR_eng.asp#research

So it would be fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca 

Seems like such an odd process ? Wait to receive your letter if your university doesn't decline info, then confirm acceptance by email?

I think that's it....agree it seems odd. Have you emailed yet, and  if so, have you heard back from SSHRC yet?

I'm curious if anyone is requesting a change to their institution of tenure. If so, have you sent the "request for first installment" form to your new institution so that you can confirm the change in place of tenure with SSHRC...? Any help on this would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Congrats to those that have received SSHRC. I just found out that I didn't get it - 3rd time applicant external applicant here (US school). First time, didn't make it to national competition, last year I was waitlisted with a score of 12.25 and this year my score is 6.5, so obviously not even waitlisted. I'm not sure how it's even possible for my score to drop my almost half when my proposal has not changed that much, and I've added publications/conference presentations. I selected the same committee as well. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts appreciated.