SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Just now, sshrcplease said:

All I got from SSRHC in January was an email saying my application had been received...After months of waiting, I am so excited to find out that I got the SSHRC CGS-D! Congrats to everyone else and good luck to all those still waiting! Ahh!!!! 

It must feel so good! Congratulations!!  ?

4 hours ago, IndgStudies1234 said:

So apparently I did send it in the wrong way, but it was bounced back to my school and submitted correctly. My program coordinator just confirmed it was adjudicated at the school level as she was part of the committee.

Also, on the SSHRC website it says all applications are ranked as A level and B level, A level being recommended for funding, and from there it goes to National competition. It says applicants will be notified at this stage, I didn’t hear anything about being A or B level or is it something you find out when you get your SSHRC results? This is my first application so I am very confused.

I believe the A level and B level thing is for direct applicants only.  So don’t worry that you didn’t get a letter about it from SSHRC.

From what I understand about the process, as an applicant affiliated with a university, your application needed to go through an initial review at your institution.  You passed that first hurdle when Lakehead selected your application to be sent to SSHRC and after that it  moved on to the national competition.  

It is nice that SSHRC sent your application back to Lakehead.  Hopefully the person who provided you with the wrong information knows now for future years how the process works.

edited to clarify: I checked the website and there is an A level and B level division for affiliated applicants, but this is an internal thing and you’re supposed to hear back from your university.  You would only get a letter from SSHRC about being A or B level if you’re a direct applicant.  

Edited by WestCoastEagle

53 minutes ago, WestCoastEagle said:

I believe the A level and B level thing is for direct applicants only.  So don’t worry that you didn’t get a letter about it from SSHRC.

From what I understand about the process, as an applicant affiliated with a university, your application needed to go through an initial review at your institution.  You passed that first hurdle when Lakehead selected your application to be sent to SSHRC and after that it  moved on to the national competition.  

It is nice that SSHRC sent your application back to Lakehead.  Hopefully the person who provided you with the wrong information knows now for future years how the process works.

edited to clarify: I checked the website and there is an A level and B level division for affiliated applicants, but this is an internal thing and you’re supposed to hear back from your university.  You would only get a letter from SSHRC about being A or B level if you’re a direct applicant.  

Yes it was nice it was sent back! It really saved me! Well perhaps.. I haven't heard back yet, but at least I am not out for a stupid mistake. I know she said I scored highly at the school level, but who knows how that translates to an actual SSHRC.

I applied through uOttawa and received the SSHRC CGS! I contacted the Awards Office today and they had an answer, though I'm not sure when the letter might come.

I have a question for anyone who knows about accepting the offer. I'll be out of the country on research until June 1st. So I'm not sure when that letter might come, but perhaps not by Saturday when I board my flight. Is there an acceptance deadline? If I were to come back and accept at that point, might it be too late? It seems to be that there's no way to accept the offer via email, because if that was allowed this would not be an issue.

I would appreciate any help with this. Congratulations to those who have won, and best of luck to those who are waiting for their letters!

Edited by Jake94

8 hours ago, ^PhD^ said:

Has anyone heard anything from uOttawa? Waiting anxiously...

I called the Graduate Awards Office at uOttawa and they notified me of my outcome. Perhaps you could do the same. I hope this helps and good luck!

54 minutes ago, Jake94 said:

I called the Graduate Awards Office at uOttawa and they notified me of my outcome. Perhaps you could do the same. I hope this helps and good luck!

Tanks for letting me know. I was refraining from calling but its become unbearable being two PhDs in our first year here ? 

Congrats on the CGS!

1 hour ago, Jake94 said:

Hey, fellow uOttawa person here. Congrats to you! 

Also, did you happen to just call and speak to a random person or a specific person? 

I emailed yesterday and was told that they don’t have the results yet. Wondering if I should call someone specific tomorrow.

27 minutes ago, ^PhD^ said:

Tanks for letting me know. I was refraining from calling but its become unbearable being two PhDs in our first year here ? 

Congrats on the CGS!

Thank you! Haha I completely understand. It can be hard waiting for the postal mail to get here so I went ahead and called. 

16 minutes ago, magicsana said:

Hey, fellow uOttawa person here. Congrats to you! 

Also, did you happen to just call and speak to a random person or a specific person? 

I emailed yesterday and was told that they don’t have the results yet. Wondering if I should call someone specific tomorrow.

Much obliged! I spoke to someone named Daniel Melanson at Graduate Awards. He informed me that they received the awards late yesterday so if you emailed earlier that day it would make sense that they didn't have them at that point. But today they did. Best of luck to you :D

1 hour ago, Jake94 said:

I applied through uOttawa and received the SSHRC CGS! I contacted the Awards Office today and they had an answer, though I'm not sure when the letter might come.

I have a question for anyone who knows about accepting the offer. I'll be out of the country on research until June 1st. So I'm not sure when that letter might come, but perhaps not by Saturday when I board my flight. Is there an acceptance deadline? If I were to come back and accept at that point, might it be too late? It seems to be that there's no way to accept the offer via email, because if that was allowed this would not be an issue.

I would appreciate any help with this. Congratulations to those who have won, and best of luck to those who are waiting for their letters!

I emailed them a while ago to see how long they give to accept or decline and I was told about 4 weeks (so I assume 4 weeks from the date of the letter). I would try emailing them to let them know that you won’t be available to sign the letter and see if you can have uOttawa or someone else do it, or provide your acceptance by email. 

Hope that helps!

Edited by WestCoastEagle

Just now, WestCoastEagle said:

I emailed them a while ago to see how long they give to accept or decline and I was told about 4 weeks (so I assume 4 weeks from the date of the letter). I would try emailing them to let them know that you won’t be available to sign the letter and see if you can have uOttawa or someone else do it. 

Hope that helps!

Thank you! That's very helpful. 4 weeks would be cutting it close. I'll take the safe option here and ask SSHRC and/or uOttawa if something can be worked out.

Good luck to you!

6 hours ago, YperG said:

Anybody from McMaster? Heard that OGS was sent out to those successful but nothing on SSHRC. 

If you were successful with OGS does that mean you won't get SSHRC? 

I haven’t heard about OGS at McMaster but I got unofficial news of a SSHRC award from our department administrator today!!!! Apparently the SSHRC  lists were forwarded from the school of graduate studies and your department administrator might contact you? Good luck!

Edited by GAPhD

I apologize for all the questions - I am a first generation student and the people at school I asked did not know.

If you were to win a SSHRC or Bombardier, is it automatically for the amount of years you are eligible for depending on current year in your PhD? I.e. if you get a bombardier and its your first year do you automatically get 3 years... or does SSHRC decide how many terms you will get. For example me and A are both in first year, we both get the bombardier - is it possible they award me only one year and A two?

11 minutes ago, IndgStudies1234 said:

I apologize for all the questions - I am a first generation student and the people at school I asked did not know.

If you were to win a SSHRC or Bombardier, is it automatically for the amount of years you are eligible for depending on current year in your PhD? I.e. if you get a bombardier and its your first year do you automatically get 3 years... or does SSHRC decide how many terms you will get. For example me and A are both in first year, we both get the bombardier - is it possible they award me only one year and A two?

No need to apologize- that's what the forum is here for!

You'll get the max time you're eligible for, so 3 years in your case for the CGS. The number of people in your dept who also got it is irrelevant at this point.

Also - congrats!! 

Just got mail from SSHRC. Like others have mentioned, they did send it out on April 30th. I got mine two days later - living in Montreal.

Received SSHRC with a score of 16.7/20.

Feeling quite ecstatic and light-headed after not having received FRQSC a couple days prior...

Hi all. I received word late yesterday afternoon that I received a SSHRC doctoral fellowship. (I wasn’t eligible for the CGS-D owing to months completed.) I am grateful. This was my third application and third time at the national competition. The first year, I simply didn’t receive the award. Last year, I made it to the wait list. Third time was the charm, in my case. The possible difference? Over the years, my project hasn’t really changed at its core, but I think the proposal is now clearer to a general audience. That, and it’s (perhaps) more obviously feasible as I indicated that I’d be actively in the data collection phase by now, which is accurate. I am sharing this in case anyone reading is where I was (and feeling what I was) last year or the year before. It is absolutely worth trying again. And it remains important to remember that the crapshoot factor is real. This and other awards are never measures of our personal worth and the worth of our research. We are all trying to make a difference with our work. Wishing you well. 

33 minutes ago, crazycatmaniac said:

Just got mail from SSHRC. Like others have mentioned, they did send it out on April 30th. I got mine two days later - living in Montreal.

Feeling quite ecstatic and light-headed after not having received FRQSC a couple days prior...

Congratulations! Good to know that the mail is starting to arrive. Hopefully the rest of us (at least in Canada) get mail tomorrow or hear from our schools by tomorrow! Going through another weekend would be brutal.

1 hour ago, crazycatmaniac said:

Congrats! Assume that score landed you a CGS-D?

1 minute ago, Yorku2019 said:

Congrats! Assume that score landed you a CGS-D?

The bigger one? Unfortunately, I wasn't eligible as it was my third try (completed more than 0-16 months as per their requirement), so only the small one!

2 minutes ago, crazycatmaniac said:

The bigger one? Unfortunately, I wasn't eligible as it was my third try (completed more than 0-16 months as per their requirement), so only the small one!

So sorry! That's a great score!