SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

7 minutes ago, Sagesaga said:

Hello Canadian fellows!

It's wonderful to see a thread for SSHRC application. 

I have a quick question: I've already applied for SSHRC doctoral awards and I also need to apply for OGS for the same 2019-2020 competition. I wonder whether I can use the same proposal?

Thanks! 

Hello, I have also applied to OGS. I've used the same proposal, but for my uni, the OGS form gave less space to describe my research project. 

2 hours ago, paperdoorway said:

Any direct applicants hear back? I'm a direct applicant studying in the UK. Any mail that comes should be going to my parents' (my permanent) address in Canada - still haven't received anything.

I would email them just to be sure and explain that you're in the UK and applied directly from outside the country

On 1/23/2019 at 9:42 AM, paperdoorway said:

Any direct applicants hear back? I'm a direct applicant studying in the UK. Any mail that comes should be going to my parents' (my permanent) address in Canada - still haven't received anything.

Direct applicant here! Haven't heard back yet either. You can have SSHRC deliver their mail to your address in England, just email them. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:59 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I would email them just to be sure and explain that you're in the UK and applied directly from outside the country

I think I'll wait for now... let's see... 

17 hours ago, anon1234567 said:

Direct applicant here! Haven't heard back yet either. You can have SSHRC deliver their mail to your address in England, just email them. 

Actually, I want it to be sent to my parents' house in Canada - my mailbox situation here isn't great and things always get sent to other homes. Just was wondering if any news would've come by now since the address is in Canada as opposed to abroad... but if you haven't heard anything either, guess we'll just have to keep waiting!

14 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Can you get OGS multiple times ?

Yes! Someone is welcome to correct me if I'm totally mistaken! I've never applied to OGS as a PhD student, just masters, but I believe the process is the same. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 7:25 AM, paperdoorway said:

I think I'll wait for now... let's see... 

Actually, I want it to be sent to my parents' house in Canada - my mailbox situation here isn't great and things always get sent to other homes. Just was wondering if any news would've come by now since the address is in Canada as opposed to abroad... but if you haven't heard anything either, guess we'll just have to keep waiting!

I was waitlisted last year. And the letter informing me that my application was forwarded to the final competition arrived about mid-February. The wait is infernal.

1 hour ago, anon1234567 said:

I was waitlisted last year. And the letter informing me that my application was forwarded to the final competition arrived about mid-February. The wait is infernal.

I know. It’s infernal. I am waiting for FRQSC, OGS, Vanier, Trudeau and SSHRC. It’s so long to wait like 8 months for an answer.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many people will get it this year? I also read in my letter that a max. of 236 out of 521 could be forwarded to the national competition. When I looked at statistics from the last two years 430 people were given the award per year. Either they have severely reduced the number of awards they are giving this year, or I am misinterpreting something.

6 hours ago, holyghost said:

Does anyone know how many people will get it this year? I also read in my letter that a max. of 236 out of 521 could be forwarded to the national competition. When I looked at statistics from the last two years 430 people were given the award per year. Either they have severely reduced the number of awards they are giving this year, or I am misinterpreting something.

There are two streams for applications to be considered: direct entry or from a nominating university in Canada. I am guessing the number of 236 is the number of direct entry applicants not screened out at the first stage but rather sent for consideration with those who met the short-list from their own university?

I don't know if they have reduced the number of awards. That'd be strange because the Minister announced big investments in social sciences a few weeks ago..

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/news_room-salle_de_presse/latest_news-nouvelles_recentes/2019/talent_idg_announcement-annonce_talent_sds-eng.aspx

On 2/27/2019 at 4:11 PM, holyghost said:

I agree that it’s probably the number of direct applicants (vs. those applying through a university). My institution alone forwarded has a quota of 50 to forward to the national competition (not even a major university), so there’s no way 236 is the total amount.

Edited by Clinpsyc01