2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

On 1/8/2019 at 8:39 AM, champion321 said:

Does anyone know the reputation of Irell And Manella Graduate School of Biological Sciences at The City of Hope? I applied here because there are some PI's and projects that are of interest to me. I can't find much about this program on google, and it's not on any ranking lists, but I know that City of Hope is one of the leading cancer centers in the nation. Any input is appreciated. 

Hi! I applied to coh too! Did you receive an interview invitation? 

On 7/9/2018 at 1:35 PM, DaddyBenzene said:

Undergrad Institution: R1 State School, top 30
Major(s): Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BS)
Minor(s): Nutrition, Premedical 
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.8
Position in Class: Cum Laude, between top 10~25% of class
Type of Student: Domestic, Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 164 (94%)
V: 164 (87%)
W: 6 (99%)

Research Experience: 16 months of plant biochemistry research at undergrad institution. No publications, but presented data at lab meetings. 14 months (current) at immunology lab at reputable medical school. No publications yet. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Undergraduate Research Fellowship, Tuition Waver, Dean's List all semesters, Honors program

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Undergraduate research assistant, full time research assistant at new lab, martial arts instructor (teaching experience?)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: graduated in 3 years (had to leave 1st lab a year early), 4.0 in coursework Microbiology MS (ongoing), 4.0 in graduate nutrition program (cert)

Special Bonus Points: Worked 2 jobs during undergrad, currently taking graduate classes while working full time

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I had to graduate early really suddenly, so it affected my first research position. I didn't get to publish my work or complete a thesis, although another undergrad picked up my project. I have a pretty awful sob story that I plan to condense and briefly mention in my SOP.

Can get 2 very strong LORs, not sure about the quality of the 3rd.

Applying to Where: Immunology and Microbiology PhD programs, kind of top heavy

UVirginia BIMS Immunology

UCSD BMS- Microbiome & Microbial Science

Brown University- Biomed Pathology

UPenn BGS- Immunology

The Scripps Research Institute- Microbiology/Immunology

Washington University in St. Louis DBBS- Immunology

Yale University BBS- Immunology/Microbiology

Baylor College of Medicine GSBS  - Immunology

Weill Cornell - IMP

Sanford Burnham- Biomedical Sciences

Hey y'all, it's ya boy. I just need some advice (and maybe a hug or two)-- things aren't going so well. Sorry for the long text in advance...

So I don't have any updates on admissions because, well, I ended up not applying. My current PI began to act very passive aggressive and unfriendly towards me a few months after posting initially, and I lost confidence. He has said some things about me behind my back to other labmates, but I feel like they were undeserved. I wondered if I should change jobs or spend another year to try to improve our relationship and attempt to publish, and chose the later. I tried really hard, but any progress I seem to make gets obliterated in an instant if I make a small mistake in lab. These months, things have not changed-- and he even implied, implicitly, that I had zero observational skills and would have a huge disadvantage if I were to try to get into grad school.

So... I'm still in a pinch when it comes to recommenders. I made up my mind for 2 of them-- a letter from my old supervisor from my previous lab (I visited and had a discussion; things went well), and a letter from an academic professor who I took 2 grad classes with. Now I'm wondering if I should even ask my current PI-- the other letter I can get will be from somebody who doesn't know me nearly as well and would also just be a professor I took a class with. Plus not having my current PI as a writer will surely send up red flags.

What can I do? I know for a fact that this conundrum has severely weakened my application, although I might have a shot at lower tier schools. I'm determined to apply next year no matter what-- the brand name of the school is of no matter to me. I'd really appreciate you guys' input as well as some schools that might be more likely to accept me based on this weakness.

2 minutes ago, ebv21 said:

I'm assuming that if we haven't heard back from Stanford Biosciences we've been rejected. Is this a safe assumption? Did anyone ever hear from Stanford Microbiology?

I haven't heard back either. I was at an interview weekend and no one had heard from Stanford Micro either...so maybe there's hope?

Edited by daauni

On 1/18/2019 at 9:03 PM, MLC2019 said:

What kind of attire is appropriate when schools say "you don't need formal clothes for interviews" or "wear what you will feel comfortable in"?

I would still do business casual

20 minutes ago, DaddyBenzene said:

Hey y'all, it's ya boy. I just need some advice (and maybe a hug or two)-- things aren't going so well. Sorry for the long text in advance...

So I don't have any updates on admissions because, well, I ended up not applying. My current PI began to act very passive aggressive and unfriendly towards me a few months after posting initially, and I lost confidence. He has said some things about me behind my back to other labmates, but I feel like they were undeserved. I wondered if I should change jobs or spend another year to try to improve our relationship and attempt to publish, and chose the later. I tried really hard, but any progress I seem to make gets obliterated in an instant if I make a small mistake in lab. These months, things have not changed-- and he even implied, implicitly, that I had zero observational skills and would have a huge disadvantage if I were to try to get into grad school.

So... I'm still in a pinch when it comes to recommenders. I made up my mind for 2 of them-- a letter from my old supervisor from my previous lab (I visited and had a discussion; things went well), and a letter from an academic professor who I took 2 grad classes with. Now I'm wondering if I should even ask my current PI-- the other letter I can get will be from somebody who doesn't know me nearly as well and would also just be a professor I took a class with. Plus not having my current PI as a writer will surely send up red flags.

What can I do? I know for a fact that this conundrum has severely weakened my application, although I might have a shot at lower tier schools. I'm determined to apply next year no matter what-- the brand name of the school is of no matter to me. I'd really appreciate you guys' input as well as some schools that might be more likely to accept me based on this weakness.

Damn that sucks. Sounds like it's not a good fit or good PI. Any way you can try going into a different lab? If you're in the right fit lab you could get a lot done in the next 8 or so months. It could be better to try a new lab and get stuff done there rather than try to persuade someone who sounds like they aren't very supportive of your future. 

2 minutes ago, daauni said:

I haven't heard back either. I was at an interview weekend and no one had heard from Stanford Micro either...so maybe there's hope?

It's weird that nobody else has hear back from them yet either. I hope Stanford doesn't send out a mass reject email to all of us.

1 hour ago, DaddyBenzene said:

Honestly, it sounds like you should seek out a new lab.

Your profile seems really solid so I think you have a good shot at getting into some places regardless of whatever happens with your current shitty PI, especially if you can write a killer personal statement (and it looks like you can write based on your GRE score). As another poster mentioned, you can get a lot done in 8 months and you shouldn't suffer through another year with a PI that isn't going to support you or your research.

I received a mail stating that my application is currently on hold with the school of MCB and that I will receive a decision (whether or not I am selected for an interview) by mid-Feb. I am not sure what "on hold" means. Does it mean that I am on the waiting list for an interview? 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:10 PM, champion321 said:

Yeah, received in on January 7. They mentioned that their interview weekends are on Feb 1, 8, and 22

Congrats! I've already had mine because I'm international applicant so wish you good luck!

16 hours ago, Ka Yak Lau said:

I applied too! Did you receive an interview? :))

Yeah, I've already had my interviews. They were via Skype as I'm international applicant.

Hey everyone, replying to a couple posts here. UCLA IMMP has sent out their invitations. They just had one interview weekend these past few days, and there’s another in early February that’s already planned. Also, Stanford Microbiology & Immunology has also sent out their invitations. I think we just had bad luck and no one who happens to post their results on gradcafe was invited.

If anyone has questions about Stanford Biology's interview session feel free to shoot me a message! 

Edited by Orims

17 hours ago, redgzb said:

Yeah, I've already had my interviews. They were via Skype as I'm international applicant.

Thank you for the information... I'm also an international applicant and haven't received iv...might be rejected... good luck to you! 

15 hours ago, cidmeister said:

Has anyone who applied to UAB's non priority deadline heard anything?

Also will anyone be at Emory's IMP weekend that's this week?

I'll be at the IMP interview this week!