2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

1 hour ago, biomed_gal said:

Has anyone heard back from Stanford Bioscience's Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine program? 

I didn't apply to SCRB, but I do believe the first full round of invites for all home programs have gone out. I'm not sure if there will be more spots if people turn it down, but it's possible

Kind of niche question for yall: so I have a fellowship interview coming up that applies to a specific school. I think they'll strong arm me and force a reply pretty soon after a potential offer - however I have interviews scheduled at a number of places after I think that deadline would be. If I'm offered it and take it, do I just pull out of all the interviews I have scheduled? It'd be bad form to attend other interviews when I've essentially said yes to this other place with a specific fellowship, right?

4 hours ago, aspiringscientist said:

Kind of niche question for yall: so I have a fellowship interview coming up that applies to a specific school. I think they'll strong arm me and force a reply pretty soon after a potential offer - however I have interviews scheduled at a number of places after I think that deadline would be. If I'm offered it and take it, do I just pull out of all the interviews I have scheduled? It'd be bad form to attend other interviews when I've essentially said yes to this other place with a specific fellowship, right?

If you've for sure decided to accept the scholarship offer / an invitation to join that particular program, I would say that you should back out of subsequent interviews- schools will appreciate  saving the time/money/effort of recruiting someone who is already committed to another program. 

If however, you are not committed to the particular program and think there's a possibility you might attend another program that you have an interview with, I say by all means go and see if they can convince you.

8 hours ago, burritolibido said:

I was a bit confused as well considering they didnt even list what hotel they booked/planning to book. I emailed one of the grad school coordinators and she asked me if I indicated in the survey that I needed hotel accommodations. I replied yes and haven't heard back from her yet.

They sent out an email earlier today w/ schedule information!

Edited by StemCellBio2019

5 hours ago, aspiringscientist said:

Only accept if this is your absolute first choice.
If you're unsure and was hoping to use the interview experiences to gauge which school would be a right fit, then don't do get strong armed.
I mean you have probably worked very hard and spent a lot of money applying to all those schools and have earned those interview weekends. The other program shouldn't try to force an immediate answer. 

Hey guys, I need help. NYU and UMIch interviews are on the same weekend and I will probably have to withdraw one. Like I mentioned before, I asked UMich if they could switch my interview weekend to the 24th (since they have 2 interview weekends), and not only they said no but they also said 'make a decision before 1pm today otherwise we will withdraw your application''... okay? I sent an email to NYU hoping they can arrange it... It is also unfair because I got the invitation yesterday and I got UMich on December 10th. Worst case scenario (they cannot arrange it), what do I do? NYU or UMich? I hate I have to make this decision just yet. 

14 hours ago, aspiringscientist said:

Unless you are absolutely sure your mind won't be changed (and know for sure you are accepted), I would recommend still going on the other interviews. I thought I knew where I wanted to go after the first interview, but things changed as I went on the others. It wasn't until I had a week after my last interview when I had a good idea of what program would work best for me. Once you have confirmed an acceptance, absolutely withdraw from other programs.

28 minutes ago, CancerBiology said:

Hey guys, I need help. NYU and UMIch interviews are on the same weekend and I will probably have to withdraw one. Like I mentioned before, I asked UMich if they could switch my interview weekend to the 24th (since they have 2 interview weekends), and not only they said no but they also said 'make a decision before 1pm today otherwise we will withdraw your application''... okay? I sent an email to NYU hoping they can arrange it... It is also unfair because I got the invitation yesterday and I got UMich on December 10th. Worst case scenario (they cannot arrange it), what do I do? NYU or UMich? I hate I have to make this decision just yet. 

Have you already talked to PIs at both places? If not, this is a much harder decision. 

You may want to look at things such as program statistics (completion, funding, placement after graduation, etc.):  https://secure.rackham.umich.edu/academic_information/program_statistics/

Nut sure where to find these for NYU, but it's something you could start searching for.

2 minutes ago, jmillar said:

Have you already talked to PIs at both places? If not, this is a much harder decision. 

You may want to look at things such as program statistics (completion, funding, placement after graduation, etc.):  https://secure.rackham.umich.edu/academic_information/program_statistics/

Nut sure where to find these for NYU, but it's something you could start searching for.

Hey, thank you for your help! I have actually been working at the UMich for over a year now in a lab, so I know the place pretty well. I have talked with some PI's at NYU but in all fairness, nothing compared to what I know about UMich. And there is not much more talking I can do before 1pm today...

1 hour ago, CancerBiology said:

Oh man, that's rough. I guess I would think very carefully about which you would prefer to end up at. They are very different schools location-wise so think aboutwhich kind of grad experience you think would be best for you. Since you've worked at UMich already that gives you a bit of an advantage in that you already have a good idea about that environment.

As an aside, I've heard mixed reviews on the grad environment at NYU, at least historically it used to be pretty cutthroat over there (this was like 10 years ago, so who knows what its like now) and on the money front an NYU stipend in NYC won't go nearly as far as UMich's will. 

54 minutes ago, DevoLevo said:

Oh man, that's rough. I guess I would think very carefully about which you would prefer to end up at. They are very different schools location-wise so think aboutwhich kind of grad experience you think would be best for you. Since you've worked at UMich already that gives you a bit of an advantage in that you already have a good idea about that environment.

As an aside, I've heard mixed reviews on the grad environment at NYU, at least historically it used to be pretty cutthroat over there (this was like 10 years ago, so who knows what its like now) and on the money front an NYU stipend in NYC won't go nearly as far as UMich's will. 

Thanks! Also, congratulations on all your interviews! Wow, that is impressive and a big achievement! How did you manage to have time for all of them, though? I am literally struggling with 4 lol and it looks like you have 9! (I might see you on 3 from there!)

Had anyone heard from Yale BBS Micro or Stanford Biosciences Micro? I have invites from other schools on Yale and Stanford's weekends and haven't accepted yet but they're starting to get impatient...

Edited by daauni

1 hour ago, CancerBiology said:

Thanks! Also, congratulations on all your interviews! Wow, that is impressive and a big achievement! How did you manage to have time for all of them, though? I am literally struggling with 4 lol and it looks like you have 9! (I might see you on 3 from there!)

Yeah I am way too indecisive, I probably should have applied to fewer... And I am also shocked that I managed to cram them all in somehow (8 of em - one is just a Skype screening type thing), I'm just taking a ridiculous amount of time off of work for the next month and a half ?

1 hour ago, daauni said:

Had anyone heard from Yale BBS Micro or Stanford Biosciences Micro? I have invites from other schools on Yale and Stanford's weekends and haven't accepted yet but they're starting to get impatient...

I’m still waiting on Stanford Microbiology too.

45 minutes ago, basicscienceismyjam said:

I received my first invitation to interview this week. The program has asked me to let them know if I want to meet/talk to anyone in particular during my interview. How many potential PI's should I list? I am interested in 5-7 labs at this program.

5-7 sounds like a good number to send. Most of mine that have asked for lists of PIs have asked from somewhere from 8-12

12 hours ago, basicscienceismyjam said:

I received my first invitation to interview this week. The program has asked me to let them know if I want to meet/talk to anyone in particular during my interview. How many potential PI's should I list? I am interested in 5-7 labs at this program.

Name anyone/everyone you'd be interested in working with. If you only name a few, those few might be busy/not around and you'll end up meeting with people you aren't interested in.