2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

10 minutes ago, CancerBiology said:

I knew that Harvard BBS interview invites were sent out on December 19th (if I remember correctly). I did not get an invitation, so I contacted admissions and they told me that all the interviews had been sent. My 3 rejections are unofficial because I reached out to admissions via email.

But that’s a little bit different than a full on rejection. They sent out their interviews, but surely some of those people will pick other schools and they gonna have to interview more people to fill available spots. This applies to all schools, not just Harvard and I don’t know why people say they got rejected when it’s not formal? 

7 minutes ago, 90% Caffeine said:

But that’s a little bit different than a full on rejection. They sent out their interviews, but surely some of those people will pick other schools and they gonna have to interview more people to fill available spots. This applies to all schools, not just Harvard and I don’t know why people say they got rejected when it’s not formal? 

They usually take this into account and invite more people than what they are planning to accept. That's why usually when you get invited to an interview you have around 50% changes of being admitted. Or if this is not the case then they waitlist you for interview. I might be wrong, though! I am international as well so I don't fully know how it works!

6 minutes ago, 90% Caffeine said:

It depends on the school, and sometimes the program. For example, I was told during interviews for Emory PBEE that they don't accept more people if others don't accept. One year they had only 1 person accept, so they were a cohort of 1. I got to talk to him and he said the previous cohort ended up adopting him in a sense.

Does anyone know anything about Boston University Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry? I saw a few postings on the boards but seems unlikely so few people were invited to interview. Also, the historical data really isn't helpful with just a couple people reporting results.

I'm dying over here. Absolutely nothing from Vanderbilt or the University of Colorado... Already received one full on rejection and was pushed over to my second choice on another... I think I've just accepted that I was rejected by everyone. 

12 minutes ago, failing_upward said:

I'm dying over here. Absolutely nothing from Vanderbilt or the University of Colorado... Already received one full on rejection and was pushed over to my second choice on another... I think I've just accepted that I was rejected by everyone. 

Vanderbilt has interview weekends all through the end of March, and they get tons of applications. I wouldn't worry about them yet, as a friend who is a PhD student there told me they're often reviewing apps well into January. 

6 hours ago, NuclearBlebs said:

Does anyone know if Northwestern iBIS is done sending out interview invites? I've seen people get calls sporadically over the last few weeks. 

I received an interview invitation from them mid December. I don't know if they are still sending invitations out.

28 minutes ago, ebv21 said:

I received an interview invitation from them mid December. I don't know if they are still sending invitations out.

What date did you submit your app? I submitted mine Dec 15 and am wondering if it's taking longer since I turned mine in the day it was due

hello fellow applicants! Has anyone heard if the following programs are still sending out interviews?

University of Chicago - Development, Regeneration, and Stem Cell Biology (DRSB)

University of Illinois Chicago - Biological Sciences/Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology track

University of Illinois Chicago - GEMS program

Thanks!

1 hour ago, NuclearBlebs said:

What date did you submit your app? I submitted mine Dec 15 and am wondering if it's taking longer since I turned mine in the day it was due

I turned mine in November 10. The Dec 15 submission date could be whats making it take longer. Best of luck!

15 minutes ago, StemCellBio2019 said:

Has Altour contacted anyone yet for Weill? I sent an email earlier in the week and one of the coordinators explained they should be contacting us either yesterday or today? 

I was told I'd be contacted by the end of this week.

7 hours ago, ActualPotato said:

Vanderbilt has interview weekends all through the end of March, and they get tons of applications. I wouldn't worry about them yet, as a friend who is a PhD student there told me they're often reviewing apps well into January. 

I really hope so, I just feel kind of bummed about it all. My mentors have been telling me how I am super qualified and such, then it seems like I was shuffled right to the bottom at schools I had a lot of hopes for. I see people in the results survey even more qualified than me getting rejections and people with stats way below mine getting interviews and accepted. I am just so confused and stressed about the whole process. So much rides on this, even with my back up plans. It sometimes feels so arbitrary how they choose the students. Ah well... Stiff upper lip and all. I still have a semester of undergrad and graduation to get through. 

On 1/7/2019 at 4:20 PM, CancerBiology said:

Any internationals invited to Yale BBS MMPP for an interview? I was just notified that I was not invited for an interview. Yale was my dream school so I am pretty disappointed.

As an international I applied to 13 schools (all biomedical sciences or pharmacology, cancer bio when possible), and I have only heard back from 3 school for interviews. I am a little nervous and would like to have more options because as an international it is really hard to get accepted.

UMich, Duke, Columbia (interviews)

Weill Cornell (waitlisted for interview)

Yale, Harvard, JHU (rejected)

NYU Sackler, Stanford,  Northwestern DGP, MIT, UPenn, UChicago (pending)

Has any international applicant heard back from the schools that I have pending? Thank you very much.

How do you know Weill Cornell waitlists for interviews? 

59 minutes ago, failing_upward said:

I really hope so, I just feel kind of bummed about it all. My mentors have been telling me how I am super qualified and such, then it seems like I was shuffled right to the bottom at schools I had a lot of hopes for. I see people in the results survey even more qualified than me getting rejections and people with stats way below mine getting interviews and accepted. I am just so confused and stressed about the whole process. So much rides on this, even with my back up plans. It sometimes feels so arbitrary how they choose the students. Ah well... Stiff upper lip and all. I still have a semester of undergrad and graduation to get through. 

Some of my coworkers have sat on admissions committees for very competitive programs and they said it actually is kind of random. One of them said that one time, someone got an interview because they were a runner. I know it's tough because I've been on the receiving end of lots of rejections myself, but try not to take it too personally. 

If you're still an undergrad, I strongly recommend working in the industry for a year or two, if the worst should come to pass and you don't get in anywhere. I've been told that a lot of programs look pretty favorably on people who are able to hold down a research job after graduation. 

1 hour ago, failing_upward said:

I cannot say how much I agree with all that you have said...I have gotten a rejection from UC Berkeley (expected) and nothing from my other 7 schools....UChicago and Duke have apparently sent out all interview requests and people have been rejected but I have received nothing/the website says nothing yet. I’m extremely anxious and it hurts because a PhD is what I truly want to do — I’m losing hope so quickly and I also have a semester and graduation left 

I've planned for alternate options. I have 3 separate contingency plans, lol. I applied to a PREP program, and I am working on my resume so I can get applications going for lab positions as soon as I graduate. Plus my part-time job can easily be converted into a full-time position, I've been doing that every break for 2 years now. I know the steps I need to take to improve my chances next fall.

I really just wish it wasn't so random, and that all my hard work would be rewarded. I burnt the candle at both ends and sacrificed time with my kids and family, I missed events and funerals, my credit rating has plummeted, I got fat, and I generally just put my personal life through the wringer to go back to school.

I love science, it's what I want to do, and I am damn good at it. Moreover, I did all the things they tell you are important for a strong application. I finished in four years, taking 16 or more hours almost every semester. I volunteered a ton, I did research for three whole years at both my school and at a major research facility during two summers, I have good strong GPA, and two publications in my school journal. Lol, I would have been training for a half-marathon this last year but I developed an auto-immune issue so I guess that works against me too! 

However, my school is small and I am a minority, first generation, low income, non-traditional student and single mom. People like me aren't supposed to do this in the first place. I hate my life being at the whim of whether someone sees my application at all.

Sorry for venting, as I said, I am so stressed about it. I can't fail. 

12 minutes ago, failing_upward said:

I've planned for alternate options. I have 3 separate contingency plans, lol. I applied to a PREP program, and I am working on my resume so I can get applications going for lab positions as soon as I graduate. Plus my part-time job can easily be converted into a full-time position, I've been doing that every break for 2 years now. I know the steps I need to take to improve my chances next fall.

I really just wish it wasn't so random, and that all my hard work would be rewarded. I burnt the candle at both ends and sacrificed time with my kids and family, I missed events and funerals, my credit rating has plummeted, I got fat, and I generally just put my personal life through the wringer to go back to school.

I love science, it's what I want to do, and I am damn good at it. Moreover, I did all the things they tell you are important for a strong application. I finished in four years, taking 16 or more hours almost every semester. I volunteered a ton, I did research for three whole years at both my school and at a major research facility during two summers, I have good strong GPA, and two publications in my school journal. Lol, I would have been training for a half-marathon this last year but I developed an auto-immune issue so I guess that works against me too! 

However, my school is small and I am a minority, first generation, low income, non-traditional student and single mom. People like me aren't supposed to do this in the first place. I hate my life being at the whim of whether someone sees my application at all.

Sorry for venting, as I said, I am so stressed about it. I can't fail. 

I feel - I’m looking at jobs as a backup. You seem incredibly motivated and I wish you all the very best; stay strong friend ❤️

On 1/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, antanon82 said:

I applied to microbiology, MCB and Chemistry programs - UMASS Amherst. Has anyone heard back from any of these programs? I checked the results section and two people posted open house invites from MCB program. 

I emailed the coordinator for UMass MCB and haven't heard back yet. I have a potential time conflict with a non-interview and wanted to know if they're done or not. However, based on previous years, I don't expect I'll actually get a reply. UMass Chemistry seems to process their applications later because the deadline is later.

2 minutes ago, jujubuju said:

I emailed the coordinator for UMass MCB and haven't heard back yet. I have a potential time conflict with a non-interview and wanted to know if they're done or not. However, based on previous years, I don't expect I'll actually get a reply. UMass Chemistry seems to process their applications later because the deadline is later.

Thanks for the info...

8 hours ago, Smalic said:

How do you know Weill Cornell waitlists for interviews? 

I reached out to them to know the status of my application and the response was: 

Good afternoon,

Pharmacology has sent out all of our primary invitations. You are currently on our waiting list.

If the status of your application changes in the upcoming weeks, we will provide you with an update.

17 hours ago, failing_upward said:

Definitely check you spam! I just found interviews to CU Boulder for IQ Bio and MCBD from the 9th. I also have not heard from Vanderbilt yet.

2 hours ago, MMM7 said:

Definitely check you spam! I just found interviews to CU Boulder for IQ Bio and MCBD from the 9th. I also have not heard from Vanderbilt yet.

I have been, lol. As well as anywhere else I could possibly consider and watching my phone (and even my snail mail) like a hawk. I saw all the responses from Boulder, but not much from Denver/Anschutz. I think they are still processing applications, but I'm still worried I'm shuffled to the bottom. After WashU rejected me I've been pretty sobered about my chances. 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:14 AM, failing_upward said:

I have been, lol. As well as anywhere else I could possibly consider and watching my phone (and even my snail mail) like a hawk. I saw all the responses from Boulder, but not much from Denver/Anschutz. I think they are still processing applications, but I'm still worried I'm shuffled to the bottom. After WashU rejected me I've been pretty sobered about my chances. 

WashU is an incredibly selective program. A rejection from them does not immediately equate to a rejection across the board. Did you apply to mid tier schools? (I'm not sure if Denver etc are Mid-tier for your specialty). Also a good majority of programs still offer interviews well into Feb and most students haven't heard back from programs. It seems those that have gotten interviews are the top pick of the pool and that the mid range students are now being reached out too. I would not panic just yet. I spoke to a professor today who earned a PhD from WashU, he himself explicitly stated how picky that program has become as a whole.