2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

25 minutes ago, curious_who said:

Yeah on the website it says under review but I just got a text from one of the PIs asking if I can come the first week but I cannot. Apparently the second week is overbooked. 

Do you mind me asking when you received the text? I am not sure if I should assume rejection at this point since I was never contacted by admission/PI...

13 hours ago, Benjamin977 said:

Hi applicants! Does anyone recently hear from Albert Einstein College of Medicine? I saw few posts of this school, kind of wondering their progress of review.

Just got an interview from them today. I submitted my application 1 day before the deadline if that gives you any idea as to where they currently are in reviewing applications. 

2 hours ago, DevoLevo said:

Nope. The department contact said I would get the follow-up email on the 11th - I think it's just taking longer to get invites out than they expected.

Thanks for letting me know! Did you respond to the original email to accept the invitation? It seemed unclear whether they wanted a response or if we were supposed to wait for the additional information first.

1 hour ago, MLC2019 said:

Thanks for letting me know! Did you respond to the original email to accept the invitation? It seemed unclear whether they wanted a response or if we were supposed to wait for the additional information first.

I didn't respond at first (it was indeed a bit vague whether they wanted a reply) but then I got nervous last week and responded with an "I accept your invite" type of email. That's when I got the reply confirming and mentioning an official email on the 11th. 

9 hours ago, Agingbiology said:

Do you mind me asking when you received the text? I am not sure if I should assume rejection at this point since I was never contacted by admission/PI...

I just got the text last night. I think they are still processing applications. There seems to be openings for the first weekend so it is not over yet. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Dr.Kong said:

Just got an interview from them today. I submitted my application 1 day before the deadline if that gives you any idea as to where they currently are in reviewing applications. 

Thanks for sharing! It is good to know they are still sending interviews.

To anyone interviewing at Weill Cornell:

what do we do once we get off the plane/train? Is there a shuttle to take us to the hotel? Are we going to the school first? I found their information very vague....my other interviews stated which hotel I would be staying at and how to get there (usually shuttle). Since the date is coming up, I’m getting a little nervous about what to do once I’m there

Hey guys I have a problem! I got an NYU Sackler interview today (yay!) but it is on the same weekend as UMich. NYU makes it very clear that they don't have alternate dates for their interview weekend on the email ''At this time, we are unable to provide an alternate date if you are unable to attend this interview weekend.  This is the only interview date we can offer you, please respond at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your interest in Sackler Institute. We look forward to meeting you!''

I know UMich has 2 interview weekends. Should I try to reach out to them and ask if they could change my interview to the first weekend? (I have it scheduled for the 2nd weekend). I don't know how to address the email though. I don't want them to think that I am not interested in UMich, because I really am. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

51 minutes ago, CancerBiology said:

Hey guys I have a problem! I got an NYU Sackler interview today (yay!) but it is on the same weekend as UMich. NYU makes it very clear that they don't have alternate dates for their interview weekend on the email ''At this time, we are unable to provide an alternate date if you are unable to attend this interview weekend.  This is the only interview date we can offer you, please respond at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your interest in Sackler Institute. We look forward to meeting you!''

I know UMich has 2 interview weekends. Should I try to reach out to them and ask if they could change my interview to the first weekend? (I have it scheduled for the 2nd weekend). I don't know how to address the email though. I don't want them to think that I am not interested in UMich, because I really am. Any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Hey! I emailed another school that I previously confirmed an interview with and they were SUPER nice about switching my interview date due to another interview conflict. I was just super nice and appreciative and expressed my interest in their program. Even though the weekend I requested was already full, the committee still let me switch so it honestly depends on the school and the committee, but from my understanding, most schools are understanding of interview conflicts. Best of luck to you! 

3 minutes ago, msmith1381 said:

Hey! I emailed another school that I previously confirmed an interview with and they were SUPER nice about switching my interview date due to another interview conflict. I was just super nice and appreciative and expressed my interest in their program. Even though the weekend I requested was already full, the committee still let me switch so it honestly depends on the school and the committee, but from my understanding, most schools are understanding of interview conflicts. Best of luck to you! 

Hey! Thank you so much for your response! I sent an email to UMich already, I hope they can switch the weekend, I am really interested in both schools... If not, I will try to arrange something with NYU and worst case scenario I will have to choose between them (Oh God please no).

Does anyone know if USC neuro is done sending out invites? I saw three people posted in the results section last week and I'm pretty bummed. It was my top choice program and I had good contact with a PI throughout the application process who assured me I was a strong candidate. Very excited for everyone else but I'm definitely going to be sad if I get bounced without an interview haha:( I swear access to everyone's results real time is a blessing and a curse...

5 hours ago, CancerBiology said:

You can always try, but it might be a little tricky. For my department, the interview recruits (from PIBS) were assigned to hosts for each weekend last Thursday. Depending what your 1st/2nd choice departments are may dictate how flexible this is, but it might still really be up to PIBS in the end.

18 hours ago, curious_who said:

Are you also looking for the second interview weekend  (Feb 21-24) at UCSD? I got wait listed as well. 

Hi! The second weekend offered to me was Feb 13-15 at UCSD for their Biology PhD program. But yes I'm waitlisted, I had no idea they extended more interview invitations than interview slots available. Have you contacted them about this?

1 minute ago, jmillar said:

You can always try, but it might be a little tricky. For my department, the interview recruits (from PIBS) were assigned to hosts for each weekend last Thursday. Depending what your 1st/2nd choice departments are may dictate how flexible this is, but it might still really be up to PIBS in the end.

Hey! thanks for your response. I am currently a local in Ann Arbor, so they would not need to do any travel/hotel arrangements because I live here (that's why I was hoping they could switch the weekend...). I sent an email but they haven't responded yet.

On 1/8/2019 at 7:39 PM, champion321 said:

Does anyone know the reputation of Irell And Manella Graduate School of Biological Sciences at The City of Hope? I applied here because there are some PI's and projects that are of interest to me. I can't find much about this program on google, and it's not on any ranking lists, but I know that City of Hope is one of the leading cancer centers in the nation. Any input is appreciated. 

I applied there too! Have you received an interview invite? x

41 minutes ago, CancerBiology said:

Yikes. Didn't get anything so another rejection it is... haha

It looks like they didn't go out all together (someone from the neuro home program in another thread got theirs a few hours earlier than I did), but they are probably getting all invites out today.

8 hours ago, biotechbeotch said:

To anyone interviewing at Weill Cornell:

what do we do once we get off the plane/train? Is there a shuttle to take us to the hotel? Are we going to the school first? I found their information very vague....my other interviews stated which hotel I would be staying at and how to get there (usually shuttle). Since the date is coming up, I’m getting a little nervous about what to do once I’m there

I was a bit confused as well considering they didnt even list what hotel they booked/planning to book. I emailed one of the grad school coordinators and she asked me if I indicated in the survey that I needed hotel accommodations. I replied yes and haven't heard back from her yet.

Has anyone heard from University of Miami? I checked BiomedCAS and saw a change in my applications: I had applied to their Micro and Imm Direct Admissions program and now there's an additional Micro and Imm Umbrella Admissions App with an Application Status of "Manual" so I'm not sure if this is a good sign or just something clerical. 

Also, no news from NYU but with thesophophile aklsdjfl

Anyone else still waiting to hear back from MIT CSB? I saw on the results page that some people have already heard back about interviews, and some have already been rejected. I have heard nothing (double-checked my spam folder), and just wondering if anyone else is still waiting to hear back.