2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

On 1/21/2019 at 6:29 PM, cidmeister said:

Has anyone who applied to UAB's non priority deadline heard anything?

Also will anyone be at Emory's IMP weekend that's this week?

I applied to UAB one month before their deadline and got the interview today. I think they're still reviewing the applications.

Hi all, I have a question: I have Duke's pathology interview on Feb 20-22, but I receive their email today asking me to skype interview with their director next week. They said it's "The purpose of this interview is to get to know you a little better before we have to submit our scholarship nominations. " Does anyone know what this means? I'm not very familiar with these procedures, what should I prepare for this? Thanks anyone who would help!!!!

15 minutes ago, jw3047 said:

Hi all, I have a question: I have Duke's pathology interview on Feb 20-22, but I receive their email today asking me to skype interview with their director next week. They said it's "The purpose of this interview is to get to know you a little better before we have to submit our scholarship nominations. " Does anyone know what this means? I'm not very familiar with these procedures, what should I prepare for this? Thanks anyone who would help!!!!

Treat it like any other interview. I think this is supposed to be an informal interview before they nominate applicants for a fellowship. The fellowship nominees must be declared fairly early. For your preparation, I would focus on what you like about Duke. Also have a clear idea about the questions you wish to pursue in graduate school.

15 minutes ago, BDancey said:

Treat it like any other interview. I think this is supposed to be an informal interview before they nominate applicants for a fellowship. The fellowship nominees must be declared fairly early. For your preparation, I would focus on what you like about Duke. Also have a clear idea about the questions you wish to pursue in graduate school.

Thanks! I’m still a little confused: does this scholarship mean funding? If I screw up the interview will I have to pay the tuition by myself? Or just out?

1 hour ago, jw3047 said:

Thanks! I’m still a little confused: does this scholarship mean funding? If I screw up the interview will I have to pay the tuition by myself? Or just out?

For the school I did this interview for they told me that me getting a fellowship would help out that particular PI since she may or may not have funding. I was told that even if I did not receive the fellowship, she would just secure funding for me through other means. Fellowship would also mean that I wouldn't have to TA to get my stipend. I guess it really depends and funding is something you can chat about on skype.

Edited by BDancey

9 hours ago, BDancey said:

For the school I did this interview for they told me that me getting a fellowship would help out that particular PI since she may or may not have funding. I was told that even if I did not receive the fellowship, she would just secure funding for me through other means. Fellowship would also mean that I wouldn't have to TA to get my stipend. I guess it really depends and funding is something you can chat about on skype.

Thank you! Just emailed them and they say they're trying to offer a scholarship specially for international students. I guess they don't have a lot of international applicants this year so they want to talk to the candidates first...Start getting nervous about the interview.

38 minutes ago, CancerBiology said:

Anybody else is waitlisted for interview somewhere? Do you have any idea if/when we are going to hear back? It is killing me!

If you're talking about Cornell.. Same here ugh 

ALSO is anyone headed to Michigan PIBS tomorrow? Curious if I am going to meet any of y'all

1 minute ago, KillKras said:

ALSO is anyone headed to Michigan PIBS tomorrow? Curious if I am going to meet any of y'all

I am interviewing at UMich on Jan 31st! (second weekend). But I work here so I am going to be around anyway haha Wishing you good luck! You're gonna do great and DM me if you have any questions about UMich! Although I am international, I have been working here for over a year now, so I know the place pretty well!

On 1/20/2019 at 4:41 AM, thesophophile said:

Does anyone know when Sloan Kettering get back about admissions after the interviews? It's been more than a week now and I don't know if I should be worried!

I also have heard nothing. I sent thank-you emails to all 3 interviewers and one replied with a generic "was nice talking to you, let me know if you have questions". In the past years it's been very late January, it seems. So within a week?

On 1/11/2019 at 11:39 PM, liberal.arts19 said:

Just got the invite!

congrats! Me too! I see in your signature you got Caltech geobiology acceptance, (congrats again!) when did you hear back and how did you hear back (from your POI or admin, email/phone)?

1 hour ago, BlackTea said:

congrats! Me too! I see in your signature you got Caltech geobiology acceptance, (congrats again!) when did you hear back and how did you hear back (from your POI or admin, email/phone)?

Thank you, and congratulations to you as well! I think I will see you during Harvard OEB/MIT Micro/Scripps interviews--seems like we have very similar interests! heard back yesterday from the grad options rep by phone.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:41 AM, thesophophile said:

Does anyone know when Sloan Kettering get back about admissions after the interviews? It's been more than a week now and I don't know if I should be worried!

I just got my GSK status in the email - check yours! (Not sure if they send all status updates at the same time or if they run a waitlist.)

On 1/25/2019 at 1:56 AM, maya123z said:

Hi all, does anyone know if Scripps Research Institute is done sending invites? Specifically the La Jolla campus.

I have the same question. I saw some people have received their official offer while some just got invites for interview. 

Hey all, 

Wish I had found this months ago, better late than never.  

Wondering about Harvard's BBS program.  It's the last one I am waiting on.  If I haven't heard back, do I hold out hope? 

Programs: Boston University (Chemistry), University of Colorado (Structural Biochemistry/Biophysics), Brandeis (Structural Biochemistry/Biophysics), Tufts @ Jackson Labs (Neuro),  Rockefeller, MIT, Northeastern (Chemistry), Tufts (Chemistry), Harvard (BBS) 

Fellowships: GEM

Accepted, Interview, Rejected

On 1/25/2019 at 4:36 PM, biomed_gal said:

For people waiting on Weill Cornell, there is hope. They mentioned another interview weekend in mid-Feb that they save some acceptances for!

You made my day! yay! I do have other interviews but Weill Cornell remains one of my top choices and would love to have the opportunity to -- at least-- interview there.

On 1/23/2019 at 11:59 AM, KillKras said:

How did the interview go? My interview weekend starts this Thursday and I am so nervous! (First interview weekend)

6 minutes ago, cidmeister said:

Has anyone had an interview and been rejected afterwards? Emory's interview pool was very competitive.. worried about my chances. 

Honestly, if you have made it to the interview, that means they already like you a lot on paper (enough to fly you out there, pay for accommodation, etc), and just want to see that you are normal/legit/have done what your personal statement/CV says and that you are knowledgeable about your research. I feel like the pool is going to be very competitive everywhere (this year is crazy)... but try not to compare yourself to others. You have something that makes you different, I am sure! People get rejected post-interview and the % of acceptance rate varies amongst schools (I have no idea where Emory stands), but as long as you did good on your interviews and you're a good fit for the school you shouldn't worry because you did everything you could! Good luck!

2 hours ago, CancerBiology said:

Honestly, if you have made it to the interview, that means they already like you a lot on paper (enough to fly you out there, pay for accommodation, etc), and just want to see that you are normal/legit/have done what your personal statement/CV says and that you are knowledgeable about your research. I feel like the pool is going to be very competitive everywhere (this year is crazy)... but try not to compare yourself to others. You have something that makes you different, I am sure! People get rejected post-interview and the % of acceptance rate varies amongst schools (I have no idea where Emory stands), but as long as you did good on your interviews and you're a good fit for the school you shouldn't worry because you did everything you could! Good luck!

I guess I just feel like I did well but I was one of the few UG's there. Everyone else was either an NIH post bacc, masters etc. I just don't want to say all week "yeah i fucking rocked this" and then get rejected you know? I don't know, I just feel unsure about myself. It's gonna be a long week for sure.

16 hours ago, ChemJax said:

Hey all, 

Wish I had found this months ago, better late than never.  

Wondering about Harvard's BBS program.  It's the last one I am waiting on.  If I haven't heard back, do I hold out hope? 

Programs: Boston University (Chemistry), University of Colorado (Structural Biochemistry/Biophysics), Brandeis (Structural Biochemistry/Biophysics), Tufts @ Jackson Labs (Neuro),  Rockefeller, MIT, Northeastern (Chemistry), Tufts (Chemistry), Harvard (BBS) 

Fellowships: GEM

Accepted, Interview, Rejected

Hi! I am sorry to tell you that all (or the majority) of Harvard BBS's interviews were sent out on December 19th... if you didn't get one around that time, you did not make it to the interviews (welcome to my life). Apparently they had 1200 applicants this year... but it looks like you have other options so best of luck!

On 1/25/2019 at 4:36 PM, biomed_gal said:

For people waiting on Weill Cornell, there is hope. They mentioned another interview weekend in mid-Feb that they save some acceptances for!

Also, did they tell you the exact dates or 'mid' February? I am worried that if I end up getting off the waitlist (oh God I hope so!) I won't be able to attend anyway since I have Duke and Columbia on Feb 10-17 (do not have any interviews on the week of Feb 18-24th though).