2019 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

carboniscool

After viewing pages and pages of results of where applicants got accepted into, I am wondering how competitive of an applicant I am for the 2019-2020 application cycle. I graduated undergrad with a degree in biology and chemistry and a low GPA of 3.2. In undergrad I did two semesters of research that led to one poster presentation. I am now in my second year of a masters program (that takes 3 years to complete) in molecular biology. My M.S. GPA will be 3.75 and I will have one first author publication and hopefully two other papers that will be in review by the time I am applying (one first author, one not). All papers in low impact journals (2-5 IF). I will have presented posters at multiple national conferences. My GRE scores were low (150V, 161Q, 4.5A). My advisor seems to think that I will be highly competitive and that if I increase my verbal GRE score that I should be able to get into even Duke or Johns Hopkins. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on how competitive of an applicant I may be.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, denise64 said:

After viewing pages and pages of results of where applicants got accepted into, I am wondering how competitive of an applicant I am for the 2019-2020 application cycle. I graduated undergrad with a degree in biology and chemistry and a low GPA of 3.2. In undergrad I did two semesters of research that led to one poster presentation. I am now in my second year of a masters program (that takes 3 years to complete) in molecular biology. My M.S. GPA will be 3.75 and I will have one first author publication and hopefully two other papers that will be in review by the time I am applying (one first author, one not). All papers in low impact journals (2-5 IF). I will have presented posters at multiple national conferences. My GRE scores were low (150V, 161Q, 4.5A). My advisor seems to think that I will be highly competitive and that if I increase my verbal GRE score that I should be able to get into even Duke or Johns Hopkins. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on how competitive of an applicant I may be.

Thanks!

crafting personal statements that tailor to each program and asking three recommenders that can testify to your independent research abilities or general skills that a grad student needs to possess are keys to a great application. The rest will likely become footnotes if these two sections are top-notch. And of course, make sure you can live up to it in interviews.

Having a first-author publication will be the cherry on top.

Also, almost no biology or biomedical programs require GRE anymore. I will check with the specific programs tho

Edited by pexygalax

9 minutes ago, liberal.arts19 said:

I just got this reply from one of the faculty members I interviewed with and want to work with:

Hi [me],

great talking to you. I think you would be a great addition to the program.

Best,
[PI]

Does this mean anything???

It means they liked you a lot and probably gave good words to the admissions director. Good job! Hope you get in to the program.

On 2/15/2019 at 9:03 PM, denise64 said:

Thanks!

Don't waste your time or money retaking the GRE. JHU CMM doesn't even take GRE scores anymore (don't know about Duke)

I think having some papers and great LORs are the biggest factors for apps, which it sounds like you will be strong in both areas by the time you apply

Edited by daauni

Has anyone heard back from UMass Amherst Microbiology? There is only one "email interview" posted in the results section. I also emailed the grad admissions but have not received any replies...

2 hours ago, Vera123 said:

Hi! Has anyone who interviewed at NYU sackler for immunology cluster on 31stJan -1st Feb heard back yet?

Hi! They're probably waiting to send offers (unless it's an amazing fit for the school/program) until the last round of interviews is finished -- which is Feb 28 - March 2nd (I'm interviewing that weekend)

On 2/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, sydber said:

I noticed someone had an acceptance from immunology at Mayo, but I received an email from their program director stating that they haven't met and that they wouldn't be making any offers until this Friday. Is this some kind of wait list email? Does anyone know more about their offer schedule than me? I'm holding off on other offers waiting for them, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

I can only talk for Virology, they sent their acceptances on Monday last week. I also know that for BMEP the Admissions Committee was having a meeting on Tuesday last week. I think most tracks' Admissions Committees met last week to rank their applicants and send their offers of admission.

Any international students hearing back from UMich Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology(MCDB) after the interview? Currently I only know one got accepted on 2/21. I am wondering whether they are still sending out acceptances. Waiting is such torture...

Applied to 10 schools, got rejected by 6, interviewed at 1, and still yet to hear back from 3. 

The interview was with Dartmouth PEMM program and was accepted with fellowship award.

The offer letter came roughly 5 days after the interview, which is amazing considering how interview was Fri-Sat, and Monday was a holiday.

91% verbal, 94% quant and 82% writing and not the best GPA (lots of working to put myself through college and help family out with some expenses) from UC Berkeley, but did receive a scholarship that is given to roughly 2% of incoming class and lasts 4 years.

3 papers (none are first author though but they were published in journals that have impact factors of around 9, 13, and 19), basic research lab for last 2 years of college, 2 years post grad at a translational research lab at UCSFand 1.5 (and counting) at what was a biotech start up.

Rec from company director, a post doc I worked with but is now a PI level at a company, and PI of the translational research lab. 

On 2/24/2019 at 4:01 AM, Benjamin977 said:

Any international students hearing back from UMich Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology(MCDB) after the interview? Currently I only know one got accepted on 2/21. I am wondering whether they are still sending out acceptances. Waiting is such torture...

Hey! Sorry to let you know that UMich has sent out all its offers (from what I've heard). I would check your online portal. UMich is NOT international friendly AT ALL (because it is a public school and we are not funded). I heard back from PIBS the same week I interviewed there. Was rejected post-interview because they only took one international (I have been working here for over a year and had recommendation letters from Umich PI's).

Edited by CancerBiology

On 2/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, liberal.arts19 said:

I just got this reply from one of the faculty members I interviewed with and want to work with:

Hi [me],

great talking to you. I think you would be a great addition to the program.

Best,
[PI]

Does this mean anything???

Congrats! I guess you just nailed it!

BTW, would you mind to share your experience in the Harvard OEB open house event? 
Like how many applicants were invited and did they give you any information about the admissions?

Thanks and hope you get your admission letter soon! )

27 minutes ago, Dan_22 said:

Hi, 

I was hoping that someone would be willing to post their SOP as an example (if you were accepted to a top program). Would be super helpful moving forward to see what successful applicants wrote about. Thank you! 

Do you have a more specific question? Like structure or phrasing or level of formality? I think it's general knowledge that you should spend at least half of your essay writing about past research experience (mine was probably 70-85%, depending on how long the school wants the essay to be). And then one last paragraph about "why this school" and who you potentially want to work with. 

I'm not 100% comfortable sharing my actual essay online, but if you want someone to read yours feel free to DM.