PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

3 hours ago, Dil said:

If anyone knows about Harvard T.Chan's admission policy, it would be nice to share here for peace of mind...

At least for my cohort that began this year, 42 students entered for the PHS program across all 5 fields of study (Epidemiology, Environmental Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Global Health and Population, and Nutrition). SBS had 8 students and Nutrition had 5...unsure about the other fields of study off the top of my head, but I know that Epi was the heaviest.

Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances and good luck to those who are waiting to hear back. Question to those who have heard back from the US schools: How much time are you given to respond to admission offers? (I'm curious about the differences in application / admission procedures between US and Canadian schools. I'm a Canadian student applying to Canadian schools.)

I got accepted to the University of Toronto, and have been asked to respond in 2 weeks. I also applied to McGill, but McGill informed me that results won't be available until mid-March, which seems pretty late compared to other Canadian and US schools.

3 minutes ago, LSP said:

Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances and good luck to those who are waiting to hear back. Question to those who have heard back from the US schools: How much time are you given to respond to admission offers? (I'm curious about the differences in application / admission procedures between US and Canadian schools. I'm a Canadian student applying to Canadian schools.)

I got accepted to the University of Toronto, and have been asked to respond in 2 weeks. I also applied to McGill, but McGill informed me that results won't be available until mid-March, which seems pretty late compared to other Canadian and US schools.

I don’t have an answer to your question, as I’m still waiting/hoping for my acceptance letters. But out of curiosity, when did you contact McGill? I was expecting mid to end of February from them....March is really late. 

Edited by EpiBuf

Just now, EpiBuf said:

I don’t have an answer to your question, as I’m still waiting/hoping for my acceptance letters. But out of curiosity, when did you contact McGill? I was expecting mid to end of February from them....March is really late. 

I called McGill's epi/biostats admin office earlier today. I, too, agree that March seems rather late. Maybe the admin assistant said "mid-March" as a worse case scenario? (Although their website says, "You will be informed of your acceptance/non-acceptance by April.")

1 hour ago, ianmleavitt said:

At least for my cohort that began this year, 42 students entered for the PHS program across all 5 fields of study (Epidemiology, Environmental Health, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Global Health and Population, and Nutrition). SBS had 8 students and Nutrition had 5...unsure about the other fields of study off the top of my head, but I know that Epi was the heaviest.

Thanks very much for sharing the info. This is very useful to know. Ah suddenly my hope went up again :)  Do you know by any chance that the previous year was similar number?

I am asking this because I had a chat with a potential supervisor last year at the JSM and he said that the admission procedure has changed slightly last year (or going to change this year, can't remember exactly). They used to admit more people but now they admit only one student to each concentration area but a full package of funding is guaranteed.  Hopefully, this year the total number of students admitted will be the same as last year. 

18 minutes ago, LSP said:

I called McGill's epi/biostats admin office earlier today. I, too, agree that March seems rather late. Maybe the admin assistant said "mid-March" as a worse case scenario? (Although their website says, "You will be informed of your acceptance/non-acceptance by April.")

Hopefully we’ll bear back soon...and before March!

Just checked this on Harvard T. Chan's website on Q&A for the PhD program in PHS. 

How many students will be in each cohort?

There will be about 40 new students each year in the program across all Fields of Study.

So far, there are only 5 acceptances for the PhD degree in PHS. That means there are still about 35 acceptances are coming. So guys if you have not heard from Harvard T.Chan, just don't panic yet. Suddenly my hopes are up! Good luck to all of us. 

On 2/4/2019 at 7:36 PM, ghphdapplicant said:

Has anyone heard from the global / international health programs at Harvard, University of Washington, or Hopkins? It's been radio silence for me...

yes! got accepted last Friday at Hopkins- had interviewed in early Jan with two POIs :) Depends which concentration though because I think they all work independently

Edited by CanadaPhDProspective

40 minutes ago, Dil said:

Just checked this on Harvard T. Chan's website on Q&A for the PhD program in PHS. 

How many students will be in each cohort?

There will be about 40 new students each year in the program across all Fields of Study.

So far, there are only 5 acceptances for the PhD degree in PHS. That means there are still about 35 acceptances are coming. So guys if you have not heard from Harvard T.Chan, just don't panic yet. Suddenly my hopes are up! Good luck to all of us. 

eeeh but that means if you had an interview right? If no interviews, silent rejection? 

6 hours ago, Dil said:

Yes, there are 9 departments at the Harvard T.Chan School of Public Health. And in the epi department, there are about 13 concentration areas. I thought each concentration area might get one student each year?

Maybe @epihope is right about what the other professor said about each department admitting 5-6 students each year. In the results page, already 5 acceptances for the epi department (1 wait list) for 2019. Still trying to be hopeful about it as Harvard was the only school I applied but many things are pointing to the otherwise bad outcome...

If anyone knows about Harvard T.Chan's admission policy, it would be nice to share here for peach of mind...

The faculty I talked to gave me a very specific number of the total students accepted across 9 departments, which ended up with 5-6 (at most 6) for each department, on average. That faculty also told me that application is competitive, funding is guaranteed, and prof's mentoring responsibility won't be overwhelmed. And I guess Ian's information is helpful that some departments might have more students than other departments. Anyway, good luck with your waiting! 

1 hour ago, LSP said:

Anyone has any thought about this? I also apply for US schools, but I am an international applicant. I got an offer from a US school. I asked the program coordinator about the deadline to accept/decline the offer, and I was told that "the earlier the better". I thought it should be April 15th? The response I got kinda made me worried. Should I follow-up that response for clarify a clearer deadline? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! 

16 minutes ago, phd_2019_fall said:

Anyone has any thought about this? I also apply for US schools, but I am an international applicant. I got an offer from a US school. I asked the program coordinator about the deadline to accept/decline the offer, and I was told that "the earlier the better". I thought it should be April 15th? The response I got kinda made me worried. Should I follow-up that response for clarify a clearer deadline? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated! 

I got into UW Epi and they actively encouraged us to wait to accept, so that we have more time to hear about and find funding. I believe most US schools should be reserving your spot until ~April 15 unless otherwise stated!

I could be wrong but since it's already February 6, how big is the chance to get in HSPH's PHS program? Should I keep my hopes up? Got an interview one month ago, and all the other schools I applied already sent out their decision letters to me. Does anyone know how many interviews HSPH sent out compared to the number of accepted students? The interview I had was not like an interview I expected, nothing about my research interest/experience, but more like general questions ... I don't know what to expect, and feel like I might have been silently rejected after seeing offers from Epi and nutrition programs. 

6 minutes ago, Epidem2019 said:

I got into UW Epi and they actively encouraged us to wait to accept, so that we have more time to hear about and find funding. I believe most US schools should be reserving your spot until ~April 15 unless otherwise stated!

Regarding funding, I guess there is difference between US public and private schools (correct me if I am wrong)? I feel like the school I got the offer from encouraged me to reply earlier, which made me worried that what if they take back the offer while I am waiting for the last school that I did not hear back anything. Maybe I should just clarify with them again then. Thanks for your reply! :)

2 hours ago, LSP said:

28 minutes ago, phd_2019_fall said:

I think April 15 is a common deadline for most US schools, and I guess they usually mention/highlight that date in the offer letter. 

1 hour ago, phd_2019_fall said:

I could be wrong but since it's already February 6, how big is the chance to get in HSPH's PHS program? Should I keep my hopes up? Got an interview one month ago, and all the other schools I applied already sent out their decision letters to me. Does anyone know how many interviews HSPH sent out compared to the number of accepted students? The interview I had was not like an interview I expected, nothing about my research interest/experience, but more like general questions ... I don't know what to expect, and feel like I might have been silently rejected after seeing offers from Epi and nutrition programs. 

Hey don't panic! I noticed that in the result page, acceptance to PHS program still keeps coming out. Also I'm not sure which schools you applied for, but it seems to me that those schools sent out their decision letters quite early, as I'm still waiting for decisions from a few schools that I applied for. So it's not too late and there's still hope! Good luck!! 

I don’t think a (US) program can make you accept prior to April 15. However, those that also offer funding would prefer to know sooner rather than later since if you turn them down I assume they offer the spot/funding to someone else. UW funding isn’t guaranteed and I’m guessing few people have funding offers yet, so I think their schedule is a bit different (also got the email encouraging giving it time before choosing a program).

I believe my friend who applied a few years ago did have a few funding offers that had expiration dates prior to April 15, but she was able to contact the school and extend if necessary.