PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

I could be totally wrong about this, but my understanding is that individual POIs contact applicants for interviews at Harvard. Does anyone know if this is true? Do they have a mass interview day or go about it some other way? Is this just a story I'm telling myself to lessen the blow of hearing nothing at all from them since I submitted my application in November? 

23 minutes ago, apex45 said:

I could be totally wrong about this, but my understanding is that individual POIs contact applicants for interviews at Harvard. Does anyone know if this is true? Do they have a mass interview day or go about it some other way? Is this just a story I'm telling myself to lessen the blow of hearing nothing at all from them since I submitted my application in November? 

I was interviewed by the head of the Cancer Epidemiology Program not by the individual POI, from what I have heard every track has a different way of handling things.

31 minutes ago, apex45 said:

Harvard doesn't have a mass interview day. From my understanding, POI contact applicants for interviews but I feel that most ppl should have heard back already. 

42 minutes ago, Pubhealth101 said:

Harvard doesn't have a mass interview day. From my understanding, POI contact applicants for interviews but I feel that most ppl should have heard back already. 

I was contacted by the head of the ID epi program for an interview in early January, said I would hear back by late January/early February.

1 hour ago, apex45 said:

I was interviewed by POI (PHS Nutrition Department) in mid December and then by a faculty in the same department a few days later. Told to expect news by early Feb. 

2 hours ago, apex45 said:

Hi There! It's been one month that I did not check this forum out (nerve-wracking)!!!

I just want to tell you that no interview does not mean rejection.

I got interviews from two SBS faculties; but for sure I screwed up the one with my POI.

From the results page, I saw someone also did not get offer because he/she did not nail the interview.

My interview was early Jan; I am pretty sure they contacted someone else after that.

I did not her back anything since then; radio silence, the same thing during the last couple months. 

and I was told the final result for SBS should be out at a standardized time as last year, i.e. 20-ish Feb.

And, good luck with you and everyone else who is waiting!  :)

Hey guys, keep your hopes up and be patient and I think we all have already tried out best!

This is what I know from the PHS-SBS interview, which is my lifetime first interview, ever:

1) One faculty told me the results should be out at a standardized time, although I can email the program assistant to confirm (but I didn't);

2) The other faculty told me that both faculties would evaluate my candidacy to make the final decision. So, it definitely would take into account the fact that I screwed up the interview with my POI (I was really nervous and English is not my native language); also, it means that maybe it does not matter that much even I feel like the other interview went well. But I just feel like the whole evaluation process is pretty fair. If you get an interview, does not mean your candidacy is "clinically" higher that those who dont; if you did not get an interview, you still have a chance. Hope this help! 

If I get accepted into a PHD program and accept does that mean I am good to go? 

I'm super nervous, and irrationally so I suppose, that say I chose my top program and have funding lined up that my adviser might move and say suffer an accident or something rare. 

If something like this occurs are you still guaranteed a spot like in undergrad? Is a phd different? 

9 hours ago, apex45 said:

I am in the same boat. Nothing after I submitted my application mid-November. I am hopeful that we can hear something late February. The results page from 2018 shows that people heard about decisions Feb 22-Feb 26...

Two updates:

1) Boston University sent out their Prospective Students' Day invitations that will take place on February 15. As much as I know, they will make decisions from this pool, so if you did not have an interview already and were not invited now, it probably means bad news (Health Services Research program).

2) I contacted the Harvard Health Policy program admin asking if they had already sent out all the interview requests, because it was getting late, and she said that yes they had. So that probably means a rejection. ?

2 hours ago, kertu said:

Two updates:

1) Boston University sent out their Prospective Students' Day invitations that will take place on February 15. As much as I know, they will make decisions from this pool, so if you did not have an interview already and were not invited now, it probably means bad news (Health Services Research program).

2) I contacted the Harvard Health Policy program admin asking if they had already sent out all the interview requests, because it was getting late, and she said that yes they had. So that probably means a rejection. ?

Thanks for the updates! This is the email I received from BU last week indicating that I'm waitlisted for an interview:

"...We have now made our selection for our interviews.  Unfortunately, your application was not chosen an on-site interview.  However, we are keeping your application active.  This indicates that your candidacy is still of interest to us and we are keeping it on high hold for the time being.  In the meantime, please feel free to update us on your progress in your application to PhD programs other than BU.  

To be clear, your application is on high hold and has not been rejected.  In the event we that have available student slots in our class after our initial interview and acceptance process, we may contact you to set up an interview..."

Oh, I see! I guess they are keeping some people on hold.

I remember from my chat with the program director that he said that they make the final decision from the Prospective Students' Day pool. But I guess if many people turn them down or we turn out to be weirdos, they would reach back to the interview and pre-interview pool. Fingers crossed for you!! 

I'm wondering what they meant by an on-site interview though. Did you apply for Health Services Research or Epidemiology? I don't know about the epi program. 

Edited by kertu

19 hours ago, John Stamos said:

If I get accepted into a PHD program and accept does that mean I am good to go? 

I'm super nervous, and irrationally so I suppose, that say I chose my top program and have funding lined up that my adviser might move and say suffer an accident or something rare. 

If something like this occurs are you still guaranteed a spot like in undergrad? Is a phd different? 

Wow, this is actually a good question lol...

As far as I know, if your funding is confirmed in the offer letter sent to you, that means this money has been put in graduate school's annual budget. So you will be safe in the first one or two years... However, if your adviser moves after you enter the program, well, the situation will be more complex and it's hard to tell. Generally, if you are not admitted to the candidacy yet, you may have to look for funding for your future PhD life. Some "nice" advisers may suggest you move with them and start your new PhD life in a new institute. Or you may contact other PI in the program and ask if they could support you. If you couldn't find enough funding for your PhD, you have to quit.

If you have already been admitted to the candidacy when the adviser moves, you are totally safe. In this case, no one would fire you unless you quit your PhD voluntarily. 

2 hours ago, welp said:

Has anyone heard from?

1. boston university epidemiology phd
  2. george washington epidemiology phd
  3. new york university public health phd

Haven't heard from BU Epi PhD either. Also waiting to hear back from McGill.

19 hours ago, kertu said:

I'm wondering what they meant by an on-site interview though. Did you apply for Health Services Research or Epidemiology? I don't know about the epi program. 

No, I didn't interview with them. My program and POI fall under the PiBS (PhD Program in Biological Science) umbrella in the Graduate Division of Medical Sciences. This program only invites candidates for on-campus interviews with faculty in the department. 

Hi everyone!

Has anyone heard back from Columbia PhD - Sociomedical Sciences or NYU PhD Social and Behavioral Sciences?

*tons of anxiety over here* 

PD: Congrats on your interviews and acceptances.