PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

Hi everyone,

An update regarding PhD Epi at JHU. I received a Skype interview invitation from two professors whose research interests overlap with mine. The interview was scheduled at the end of Jan. 

Also UW Epi admission last week, but no info on funding or transportation for visiting day.

12 hours ago, YoYToT said:

Hi everyone,

An update regarding PhD Epi at JHU. I received a Skype interview invitation from two professors whose research interests overlap with mine. The interview was scheduled at the end of Jan. 

Also UW Epi admission last week, but no info on funding or transportation for visiting day.

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your credentials and experience in getting interviews? Thanks!

13 hours ago, YoYToT said:

Hi everyone,

1 hour ago, gloriazeng86 said:

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your credentials and experience in getting interviews? Thanks!

Thank you! Sure!

International Applicant

1. Non-domestic undergraduate degree (GPA:3.5 ish)

2. One MSc in global health + working on another MSc in Epi (GPA 3.9) 

3. One year post-graduate working experience in a data-driven global health organization as data analyst and independent researcher 

4. 2 co-author publications (1 meta-analysis + 1 large-scale study published on the Lancet)

5. Currently working on 4 projects (various topics), as the first author, expecting to publish in Spring 2019.

6. GRE (V:86%, Q:perfect score, W: 3.5)

7. Reached out UW professors ahead and successfully arranged phone call meetings.

In summary, I think my strengths are that my research experience has been pretty quantitative (strong statistic, data analysis, and coding skills) + solid epidemiology background + global perspective.

I will update after the interview happens.

Hi folks! New to the forum, almost glad I didn't know this was here sooner, the stress is too real ?Rejected from Emory and accepted to UW epidemiology last week, saw a few other folks in the same boat. Still waiting on responses from 3 others. Congrats all around to those with interviews and acceptances, can't wait to see how it works out for everyone!

Hi Everyone,

Just discovered this forum! I'm going to post an update on interviews I've received so far in case it can help anyone :)

I pretty much applied to every school between DC and Boston (I need to be within 3-4 hours of NYC - where my husband and I are now, he may need to stay here for work)

NYU                               PhD in Public Administration (Health Policy concentration)  -- haven't heard anything
Rutgers                         PhD in Health Systems & Policy -- haven't heard anything                      
NYU                               PhD in Public Health (Health Policy & Management concentration) -- haven't heard anything  
Johns Hopkins            PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- phone interview on Jan 16
Dartmouth                    PhD in Health Policy & Clinical Practice  -- made it to the second round of the application process
Boston University        PhD in Health Services Research    -- phone interview on Jan 17
Brown                            PhD in Health Services Research    -- invited to prospective student day on January 25
Northeastern                 PhD in Population Health    -- haven't heard anything  
Drexel                             PhD in Health Services Research  -- received formal acceptance/offer
Harvard                          PhD in Health Policy        -- haven't heard anything  
Yale                                 PhD in Health Policy & Management       -- haven't heard anything  
Penn                                 PhD in Health Care Management & Economics       -- haven't heard anything   
George Washington       PhD in Public Policy & Administration (Health Policy track)    -- haven't heard anything  
U. of Maryland                 PhD in Health Services Administration     -- phone interview on Jan 18
U. of Massachusetts     PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- haven't heard anything  
Cornell                             PhD in Policy Analysis & Management (Health Policy concentration)   -- haven't heard anything  
Temple University         PhD in Health Policy & Management     -- haven't heard anything  

Would love to hear everyone else's news so far

10 hours ago, YoYToT said:

Thank you! Sure!

International Applicant

1. Non-domestic undergraduate degree (GPA:3.5 ish)

2. One MSc in global health + working on another MSc in Epi (GPA 3.9) 

3. One year post-graduate working experience in a data-driven global health organization as data analyst and independent researcher 

4. 2 co-author publications (1 meta-analysis + 1 large-scale study published on the Lancet)

5. Currently working on 4 projects (various topics), as the first author, expecting to publish in Spring 2019.

6. GRE (V:86%, Q:perfect score, W: 3.5)

7. Reached out UW professors ahead and successfully arranged phone call meetings.

In summary, I think my strengths are that my research experience has been pretty quantitative (strong statistic, data analysis, and coding skills) + solid epidemiology background + global perspective.

I will update after the interview happens.

Thank you so much for sharing. I am also an international applicant. My master's degree in Public Health was in Health Management and Policy,  and I am applying for Epidemiology Ph.D. this year. I think this has put me in a disadvantageous situation, not having a master in Epidemiology. I contacted a professor at JHU before application. Since haven't heard anything back yet, thinking about whether should reach out that professor again. 

3 hours ago, gloriazeng86 said:

Thank you so much for sharing. I am also an international applicant. My master's degree in Public Health was in Health Management and Policy,  and I am applying for Epidemiology Ph.D. this year. I think this has put me in a disadvantageous situation, not having a master in Epidemiology. I contacted a professor at JHU before application. Since haven't heard anything back yet, thinking about whether should reach out that professor again. 

I'm currently doing my MSPH in Community Health Sciences and applied for PhD programs in Epi; it's worked out for me so far and I'm hoping the same for you! I think it's really exciting to bring some perspectives from fields that draw more on social theories into a quantitative field, so best of luck!

After an interview, should we follow-up with a thank you email? 

Also, application update: 

• UCSF - Global Health Services - (interviewed) 
  • University of Washington - Global Health - Implementation Sciences  
  • Harvard - Global Health - Health Systems 
  • Brown - Behavioral and Social Health Sciences (going to recruitment day - Jan 25) 
  • Yale - Social and Behavioral Sciences 
  • Johns Hopkins - International Health - Health System 
  • Columbia (ONLY DrPH program) - Global Health 
  • University of Toronto - Social and Behavioral Health Sciences 
  • McGill Univerity - Epi 

If anyone has heard anything from the other programs let me know :)

37 minutes ago, EpiMexico said:

Hi everyone, 

Got acceptance letter from UNC Chapel Hill. Was told I was considered for cost sharing. Does anyone know what that is?

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance!! I am not sure what that means, but maybe it has to do with partial funding. 

If you don't mind sharing, what concentration (interest area) at UNC did you apply for?

40 minutes ago, EpiMexico said:

Got acceptance letter from UNC Chapel Hill. Was told I was considered for cost sharing. Does anyone know what that is?

Not sure, but maybe this means multiple PIs were interested in working with you, so they will each contribute to your stipend? Or that you'll be partially funded through the department with the rest made up by specific PIs? UNC is weird about funding sometimes

20 hours ago, HSR_PHD said:

Hi Everyone,

Just discovered this forum! I'm going to post an update on interviews I've received so far in case it can help anyone :)

I pretty much applied to every school between DC and Boston (I need to be within 3-4 hours of NYC - where my husband and I are now, he may need to stay here for work)

NYU                               PhD in Public Administration (Health Policy concentration)  -- haven't heard anything
Rutgers                         PhD in Health Systems & Policy -- haven't heard anything                      
NYU                               PhD in Public Health (Health Policy & Management concentration) -- haven't heard anything  
Johns Hopkins            PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- phone interview on Jan 16
Dartmouth                    PhD in Health Policy & Clinical Practice  -- made it to the second round of the application process
Boston University        PhD in Health Services Research    -- phone interview on Jan 17
Brown                            PhD in Health Services Research    -- invited to prospective student day on January 25
Northeastern                 PhD in Population Health    -- haven't heard anything  
Drexel                             PhD in Health Services Research  -- received formal acceptance/offer
Harvard                          PhD in Health Policy        -- haven't heard anything  
Yale                                 PhD in Health Policy & Management       -- haven't heard anything  
Penn                                 PhD in Health Care Management & Economics       -- haven't heard anything   
George Washington       PhD in Public Policy & Administration (Health Policy track)    -- haven't heard anything  
U. of Maryland                 PhD in Health Services Administration     -- phone interview on Jan 18
U. of Massachusetts     PhD in Health Policy & Management  -- haven't heard anything  
Cornell                             PhD in Policy Analysis & Management (Health Policy concentration)   -- haven't heard anything  
Temple University         PhD in Health Policy & Management     -- haven't heard anything  

Would love to hear everyone else's news so far

Thank you for sharing these updates @HSR_PHD! I am so glad to see another health policy PhD applicant in this forum! I also submit my application to JHU and Brown, but haven't heard anything back from the two schools yet. Now I start getting nervous and get my finger crossed. Would you mind sharing your research interests and background?

Hi everyone,

I am interviewing at Brown (EPI PhD) for Recruitment day. They asked for 4-5 faculty that I would like to meet but I received my agenda and only had two faculty listed for interviews. Is that normal for Brown to only interview with two of the faculty that you listed?

6 hours ago, EpiMexico said:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance into UNC Chapel Hill! Did you receive an interview before this acceptance? Thanks! 

Edited by PHApplicant

15 minutes ago, notgonnabeawalrus said:

I saw that someone got an interview for Yale's Epi PhD.  Does this mean I'm out? Or do they tend to give interviews on a rolling basis?

I'm not Epi, but here's the beginning of the email I got inviting me to interview day: 

Everyone: 

As Administrative Director of the Graduate Program for Public Health, I have been asked to invite you to campus for an interview for the PhD program.  You will be working with me and [redacted], administrative assistant for the program, for your travel arrangements to Yale University for our recruitment day on Monday, February 11, 2019.

Both the person who sent the email and the person mentioned in it are part of admissions, and recruitment day is from 8:30am - 9pm. They're reimbursing travel and arranging hotels, so I assuming they want everyone to interview in person. Since there have been posts from SBS and Epi applicants, I'm also assuming this is the only email going out for those programs, and possibly other Yale SPH doctoral programs as well. 

Soooo hopefully I'm wrong but I think if you didn't get an email today, it signifies waitlist/rejection. 

8 hours ago, sln831 said:

Hi everyone,

I am interviewing at Brown (EPI PhD) for Recruitment day. They asked for 4-5 faculty that I would like to meet but I received my agenda and only had two faculty listed for interviews. Is that normal for Brown to only interview with two of the faculty that you listed?

Inspired by the question above, but to those who are having interviews for Michigan this week, are the professors listed in your agenda the same as those you mentioned in the previous survey?

I am going to talk with three professors slightly different from what I listed. I wonder if that means, those who will interview us are interested in us as well?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, PHApplicant said:

Congrats on your acceptance into UNC Chapel Hill! Did you receive an interview before this acceptance? Thanks! 

20 hours ago, epi_2018 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! I am not sure what that means, but maybe it has to do with partial funding. 

If you don't mind sharing, what concentration (interest area) at UNC did you apply for?

It's a PhD Degree program in the Department of Epidemiology with a concentration on cancer (my assigned academic does breast cancer research). I did not have an interview just received the email directly. 

9 hours ago, PHApplicant said:

Inspired by the question above, but to those who are having interviews for Michigan this week, are the professors listed in your agenda the same as those you mentioned in the previous survey?

I am going to talk with three professors slightly different from what I listed. I wonder if that means, those who will interview us are interested in us as well?

Thanks.

One of the three PIs I listed won't be available to meet with me, and according to the agenda I can "feel free to contact her through email or phone".  The time lengths that I will meet with the remaining two PIs also vary, one 30 min and the other 15. So I guess maybe they already have preferences as to which student to take, the interview is just a confirmation process.

13 minutes ago, epidjyaku said:

One of the three PIs I listed won't be available to meet with me, and according to the agenda I can "feel free to contact her through email or phone".  The time lengths that I will meet with the remaining two PIs also vary, one 30 min and the other 15. So I guess maybe they already have preferences as to which student to take, the interview is just a confirmation process.

I'm meeting with 3 people- 2 of whom I listed as PIs of interest, and the third someone who I did not list but who's interests are a pretty good fit for mine. Meeting with 2 for 30 minutes and 1 for 20, and my main PI of interest (whom I previously spoke to on the phone prior to applying) is 30 minutes. So maybe you're right...

13 minutes ago, KMcurveball said:

For others interviewing at Michigan, did any of you receive a "panel" interview. I have a meeting with all three professors I listed (varying for 20-30 minutes) but then I also have a panel interview. Any clue what that could be? 

Yep- I also have a (15 minute?) panel interview... not sure what that entails, exactly...